Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tightened the cable A bit to make the shifts a little crisper, it was easing into the next gear a little softer than I liked. It doesn’t take much adjustment.

I liked the driving video and the after no leaks shot of the garage floor because I had just been reading a thread of how rebuilding an a440 just can't be done properly. You have given me hope my brotha!

I liked the driving video and the after no leaks shot of the garage floor because I had just been reading a thread of how rebuilding an a440 just can't be done properly. You have given me hope my brotha!
I had been reading those threads too, finally had to just stop reading them and stay positive. I think one of the concerns is the valve body and how the pistons wear into the bores. You take them out, put them back in, and they may sit differently in the bore and cause hangups. Everything slid smoothly in there when done so I have hope too.

It’s holding up well. At certain angles and light you can see where a crack used to be (always could). The real test will be the Sun this Summer.
Since it has been so warm lately and looks to continue this trend for a while I was thinking of pulling my dash. While it was off I was thinking about fixing the cracks, as you did, then re-wrapping the dash with Marine Vinyl like I did with the rear cargo panels. Main concern is what you talked about, expansion and contraction based on cold and the possibility of the application of the vinyl on the dash.

Since it has been so warm lately and looks to continue this trend for a while I was thinking of pulling my dash. While it was off I was thinking about fixing the cracks, as you did, then re-wrapping the dash with Marine Vinyl like I did with the rear cargo panels. Main concern is what you talked about, expansion and contraction based on cold and the possibility of the application of the vinyl on the dash.
Sounds like a good project, do you think you can get the vinyl wrapped and tucked around the instrument cluster area? Corners and curves have always been my nemesis when doing upholstery. Marine vinyl is a nice product, and holds up for sure.

Sounds like a good project, do you think you can get the vinyl wrapped and tucked around the instrument cluster area? Corners and curves have always been my nemesis when doing upholstery. Marine vinyl is a nice product, and holds up for sure.
Like you I have watched my fair share of YouTube videos on the process. It would be TONS easier on the FJ62 dash but think that it is doable on the 60 dash, main caveat being the gauge cluster area and the rise and fall it has on either side. That will take some thinking to do.

Next is going to be exhaust and I’m sitting here pondering the two cat system.

Instead of two cats, could I combine the two before the cats and then run larger diameter pipe into one cat at that size and then normal after that?

Current 2 pipe system before each cat...pipe id 1.78”
Cross sectional area of each 2.488” *2 = 4.977” Total Area

Equivalent single pipe 2.52” id

Then either bung both O2 sensors or run one with a parallel branch for ECU inputs. Maybe this is just my misunderstanding of the ECU input. Seems it’s just a voltage trigger and they are responsible for 1-3 and 4-6 not 153 and 624. So...

Will this pass the referee and drawbacks I can’t think of? Why the 2 cat system?

will Cali allow it? I know the charts say the fj62 uses 2 t1 cats...any changes might require a ref sticker... altho, if you know they do not... then what's stopping you? Id run 2 sensors...that way, if one fails, you can parallel the leads and keep going...

o2 sensors meter the banks- 123; 456.

all 3 injectors of each bank fire at once, but I'm sure you already knew that...

will Cali allow it? I know the charts say the fj62 uses 2 t1 cats...any changes might require a ref sticker... altho, if you know they do not... then what's stopping you? Id run 2 sensors...that way, if one fails, you can parallel the leads and keep going...
I’m going to talk to my local smog guy today. He has a shop right across from ours and does good work. With advances in cat technology since 88’, seems like it would be allowed...of course this is Cali, logic and reason doesn’t really apply.

Back to the transmission. I keep seeing shots of parts bags, very nice. Were the parts for the A440 fairly easy to source?
Your stay positive comment was dead on.
Most parts were available. My normal parts search goes like this...start at Japan-parts.eu, copy and paste the part number in google with “Toyota” in front of it, and search the part# on toyotapartsdeal.com or any other oem site. Compare prices and shipping. I stopped going to the local stealership when I was doing the 60s cooling system. Let the parts Dept know my yearly spending habits and their grossly marked up prices..they didn’t seem to care so I don’t buy anything from them unless it’s a little $10 part.
Most parts are still available for the A440 and a lot of the A442 internals are the same as the A440.

o2 sensors meter the banks- 123; 456.
yep.
In utah at least, the number of cats has to match the vin, not the engine. When I did my 2fe I assumed I had to configure the cats like the 62, but the exhaust shop said I was actually legally obligated to keep my original cat. I would also use both 02 sensors, I like that the ecu is able to make adjustments based off "more" individual needs of the cylinders. running parallel sets you back to TBI status.

Most parts were available. My normal parts search goes like this...start at Japan-parts.eu, copy and paste the part number in google with “Toyota” in front of it, and search the part# on toyotapartsdeal.com or any other oem site. Compare prices and shipping. I stopped going to the local stealership when I was doing the 60s cooling system. Let the parts Dept know my yearly spending habits and their grossly marked up prices..they didn’t seem to care so I don’t buy anything from them unless it’s a little $10 part.
Most parts are still available for the A440 and a lot of the A442 internals are the same as the A440.

Thanks! Not that I need the parts...yet. My local shop guys literally laughed at me and told me the didn't have any parts for a time machine. The other dealer is owned by AutoNazi and they don't have a clue, nor do they care to get one. They actually escalate their prices. I am a parts guy too, have been for years and I wouldn't let anyone working for me act like the d-bags I have been trying to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom