Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hard fought battle tonight. I've never seen one give up that much of a fight.

IMG_8988.JPG

just did the pan on my 55... FIPG is a MUST. no comparison to black RTV. Does the AT manual give the specs on those springs? I'll bet a spring MFG has some on the shelf, or could fab some cheap-ish if you had the rate gauge, and free length...

beck arnley one piece gasket seemed to work well for $23.

@g-man ; not to hijack Mwebs thread: you need fj60 DS lengths if you use an fj60 trans and tcase; you may need cutom lengths if you use fj60 trans and fj62 tcase- but might still could use the fj60 stock length. I do not think there are dimensional differences between the fj60 and fj62 tcase other than guts. When I did mine, I measured from scratch and had the rear made, as it had to be longer than the fj62 DS, and I cut the front one down and welded it in myself. hasn't been a problem yet. on the clutch pedal, you MUST use a later than mid 85 clutch and brake pedal assembly if you want locating the hydraulic master cylinder to be easy- use matching vintage hydraulics. I kept my vacuum tcase- it works... HTH

///end hyjack

Now would be the time to say ...hmmmm, where can I get my hands on a manual transmission and how much would I have to cut to make fit?
Would you have to cut the drive shafts?
The thought rattled around in my head as I have my H42 just sitting around but decided I would like to keep the auto.

just did the pan on my 55... FIPG is a MUST. no comparison to black RTV. Does the AT manual give the specs on those springs? I'll bet a spring MFG has some on the shelf, or could fab some cheap-ish if you had the rate gauge, and free length...
That's great thinking, Thanks. The assembly for the A442 came in yesterday and the springs are almost identical. They are a couple hundredths shorter and instead of 22 individual springs with a separate ring that sits on top it's all kind of one piece. The A442 and A440 have the same internals (same plates, clutches..and same amount of them) at least on this subassembly. The oil pump is the same part number...so...I am deducing the spring rate is the same and it will work fine.

IMG_8992.JPG

could you shim to get proper length?

could you shim to get proper length?
I don't think it's going to be an issue, they should be 1.23" and they are 1.214ish. About 1% length on a stiff spring that's always under compression.

All ordered parts are in except for the two output bearings. The plan is to rebuild each subassembly in order of installation and install them as they are rebuilt...hopefully one per night...only problem, Step #1, press in output bearing. Situation normal.

Spent about 7 hours doing gasket removal on the pan and block. Had to use a chisel and hammer...worst was around the curved sections. Never seen anything like that. I've never said anything bad about a PO but that guy. :moon:

Wrapping up the dirty work before this turns into a clean room

IMG_8993.JPG

IMG_8995.JPG

IMG_8996.JPG

IMG_8999.JPG

That bearing looks new

The work you do Marc is amazing. You could teach a few of us some very pertinent skills! Dirty to clean workspace. Seems to me you could be in the medical field w/ that understanding.

The work you do Marc is amazing. You could teach a few of us some very pertinent skills! Dirty to clean workspace. Seems to me you could be in the medical field w/ that understanding.
Haha, Thanks. Maybe a shade tree dentistry business is in order. Dremel, shop vac, pliers, scribes, inspection mirror, and an air compressor..just need to rig up a big magnifying glass to the headlamp and all set.

My boss at the first dental lab I worked at (he was insane cuz he hired me as a novice to stain and glaze the porcelain crowns in their last stage, talk about stress!) wore one of these and many times I have thought to seek one out.

headband binocular magnifying loupe.jpg

LOL... when I used to build models when I was a kid I used one of those. Made it real easy to see all the fine detail stuff!

I was thinking more of a 6 inch magnifying glass that makes my eyeball the size of a softball...so when I have you gassed up on brake cleaner it's fun to see that coming at you all mad scientist like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom