Meet Moose, our 1969 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am a fan of Lizard Skin. Made my ride totes better.

Did you spray it on the inside or underneath? If I had good access to the bottom, I'd do that, but for ease of installation, I'm leaning towards just spraying it inside the tub. Plus, I dont know that I have the patience to clean and prep the underside as well as I will the inside.

Did you spray it on the inside or underneath? If I had good access to the bottom, I'd do that, but for ease of installation, I'm leaning towards just spraying it inside the tub. Plus, I dont know that I have the patience to clean and prep the underside as well as I will the inside.
I put it on inside.

Well, after an email exchange with @orangefj45 today, we have a plan for fixing the power steering...

Rip it all out and start over!

Not wholly unexpected.

I mean here is the box hiding behind this awesome shock mount.

0520191641.jpg

0520191641a.jpg

And the pump.

0520191641b.jpg

0520191647.jpg

So verdict is to start over. So I'll start sourcing parts this week.

For reals. The pump bracket literally looks like they bolted a piece of plate to the head, took a pump bracket off of something and held it up, eye-balled lining the belts up and welded some braces up. It is super jank, but very stout and crooked.

Cutting off the shock tower will be very satisfying :smokin:

Ok, so after some reading, it looks like the IPOR box mount uses the mini-truck box and the old push pull setup, correct? Since Moose doesn't have any of that stuff anymore, I think what i'd like to look at is a 60 box mounted in front of the shock tower. I found an older thread about it and I actually kind of looks like that is what was attempted here, but with a homebrew shock mount.

So I'm currently thinking I will pull the current pump setup off, then cut off the shock mount and see what I'm dealing with. Thinking that a frame plate with some sleeves might be good, then locate and mount a 60 box and then mount a new cleaner shock mount for the DS. New pump, mounts, pulleys, hoses, etc. to make it work and roll on.

I could pull most anything needed from the parts pig to make whatever work, but I'm leaning this direction. Curious what others might think.

I’m not there yet but I have a 60 box on the shop floor waiting for this, since my alt is under the air cleaner my plan is to mount a Sag pump on pass side...but possibly lower than yours?

:popcorn:

Thought I recalled someone was producing a Saginaw pump mount for a 2F that mounted on the driver side (Georg?). I set mine on the driver side, and had set about actually perfecting the mount before plans changed.

Yup there is a kit for drivers side.

The kit is used for drivers side was to put a late model 2F with holes in the block for a Ps pump in :)

My advice would be to locate a scout Saginaw box

60 boxes are getting rare and are expensive

Mini truck boxes are rare and expensive.

A Scout Saginaw, while relatively rare, is usually not expensive.

You put it where the 60 box goes. If you are in full Fab mode you can save some coin on parts.

It's been a hot minute since we've done much on the 55. Picked up a 4Runner recently that had a set of steel wheels and BFGs on it. I swapped them for a set of 60 series chrome wheels I had and so figured these might work on the truck.

I had some machine grey paint laying around and de idea to see if I could spiff them up a little. First test was a success, so I'm working on the rest. Finished 2 more today in the nasty humid heat, i e left, but may have to sand these 2 since the finish is a little rougher than I'd like.

Before: 31x10.50 bfg km1 on old wagon wheels
20220621_200640.jpg

After: 33x10.50 km3 on a machine grey steel wheel
20220621_202003.jpg

Wheel 3 prepped for primer
20220704_152021.jpg

Wheel 2 and 3 drying
20220704_202348.jpg

One more to go then I can bolt them all up and see how it looks.

Left town for 5 days after first one, home a day and had company for 4 days. Now erbody gone, but it feels like 107 for next 5 days...

I'll get there

Well hell, looks like I am going to be painting another rim.

I just noticed that the tire on the right in the picture above is a KM2 not a KM3, so I think I am going to have to pull the spare and see what it is and make sure I get a full set of km3 on the truck.

Weird.

Spare tire is a different wheel, so I'll just run the km2 until I can get the spare swapped over to the matching wheel.

Got all the wheels mounted today and backed him out for a spin around the block.

Found that the old drum steering is a little close. It self clearance the 3 weights off the front wheels.
20220710_160814.jpg

And spit out what was left of the boot.
20220710_160407.jpg

The rear driver inner fender had apparently been bent up a little and I had to use a BFH and a pry bar to convince it to got back home.

Otherwise, these tires fit perfectly. I guess a small 33 is just right for stock height.

20220710_162559.jpg

20220710_175958.jpg

Man what a fine swine...

Now I'm digging around to find my SA front knuckles and figuring out what else I need to do a disc swap on the front

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom