Meet Moose, our 1969 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How thick are the adapter plates?
I looked at both the 2F engines I have (one with an Aisin and one with a Rochester), both carbs have about a 1/2” phenolic spacer.

Adapter plates are about 3/8" to a half inch each, but are both aluminum. The stock carb on both a F and the 2F had a non-conductive (guessing phenolic) spacer on them. The 2F's usually had a heat shield with them too. The Weber doesn't Use them. I am going to see if the parts pig still has it's spacer and might stack it under the bottom to see if that helps in the interim.

@J Mack thanks for the link. That looks promising.

Got my Frontrunner load bars in today. Will try to get them bolted on tomorrow to see how they fit.

0417192031.jpg

You get the hot-fuel issue squared away?

Haven't had much chance to fool with it this week. Work has been pretty rough the last few days. Gonna try and fool with it this weekend.

So may have to go EFI sooner than later. Drove it a few miles to a bon-fire tonight and the intake got so hot that it was boiling the fuel and caused some dieseling upon shut off and the engine has to cool down before I can restart it. The Weber carb setup uses the aluminum adapter plates, so heat transfer is the issue. Stock it would of had that non-conductive spacer, and now I see why. Any input on how to help that out so I can run it for now would be great, cause as it stands, I can't make a quick trip in it because if I shut it off I'll have to let it cool before I can start it back up.

Other than that, all was good. Gonna slowly increase the miles over the next few weeks.

Is the intake hot like as in normal engine parts hot, or is it wicked hot like your mix is running lean? Having the mix off too much can kill an engine...

Is the intake hot like as in normal engine parts hot, or is it wicked hot like your mix is running lean? Having the mix off too much can kill an engine...

Hmmm..., I had not thought about that. From rough memory, I'm going to say normal engine hot, but I may have to drive it around the block and then get the temp gun out. What would you say the threshold for wicked hot is on a F intake? (I have a friend that uses "wicked" regularly and I enjoy our conversations greatly, thank you for that smile)

Also, got the load bars on, I just got 2 for now, but might go ahead and add a third and the rest of the rack down the road. Overall I dig them, but one of the bars was not cooperating with the bolts and was being cantankerous but I got them in a pretty good spot I think. Spaced them the same as the ones on the GX, so swapping the tent should be pretty straight forward.

0418191842.jpg

0418191842a.jpg

Pulled the spacer off the parts pig. I will run to the hardware store and get some longer bolts so I can drop it in between the manifold and the weber adapter.

0419191607.jpg

Also, to reinforce the awesomeness, here is my lovely bride removing what I have termed as the "devil's nut" from the carb. You know that one closest to the firewall on the engine side...

46656.jpeg

Last edited:
What would you say the threshold for wicked hot is on a F intake? (I have a friend that uses "wicked" regularly and I enjoy our conversations greatly, thank you for that smile)

Sorry I missed this! Not sure what the cut-off is for wicked hot... I think you would see it on the exhaust manifold if the mix was off, it would heat the exhaust excessively, which would in turn heat up the intake...

Glad I could remind you of your friend!

Movement. So we went down to ACC to have a tire carrier installed on the GX last weekend and while wandering the shop I struck up a deal for a set of IPOR 55 sliders and a set of 4" Alcan springs that they had collecting dust.

0504191619a~2.jpg

0504191619~2.jpg

The springs were buried so we didnt bring them home, but will get them soon enough. I'll have to get shackles, u-bolts, plates and shocks to round it out, but I'm pretty damn excited about the score. And the 55 sliders even included the little ass-end sliders for the rear overhang.

And this week I pulled the can and put the spacer I pulled off the parts pig on the bottom of the weber stack.

0508191931.jpg

Sourced some longer countersunk bolts to make it all fit and got the weber back on.

0508192017b.jpg

It runs. I dont think its running lean, but will drive it some over the next few days and see how the new configuration does. Hoping to take it up to GSMTR in east TN next weekend.

Also started installing the new door cards.

0508192020.jpg

The ole boy is starting to come together.

50 mile round trip this afternoon. No one died and nothing fell off that we needed. Got a little more comfortable with the 3 spd on the way back and stretched his legs out a little.

0510191730a.jpg

Speedo was working til the dash was swapped, so gotta figure that out.

Mounted the RTT on the front runner load bars.

0511191850a.jpg

Picked up 2.5 gallons of Rotella and a filter this afternoon along with a set of plugs. Will knock out the engine oil and diffs tomorrow. I bolted the front driveshaft back in and buttoned up a few more things while I was under there. Noticed oil on the floor and noticed this before I put the lower bellhousing cover back on.

0511191117~2.jpg

I installed a new rear main while I had it out, and did new output seals on the t-case with the e-brake, but never thought to replace the front input seals while the trans was out. Well I guess that will be for another day, but if that thing comes back out, a 4spd will go back up in that hole cause it needs another gear real bad for highway driving.

Still have to get new bad lines for the t-case and rhen the skid can go back on. Grease everything and then we should be ready to give the trip to Windrock a go.

350 mile round trip to and from GSMTR is under our belt. Overall things went great, but as with any shake down such as this, several things need work before the next major trip. The most pressing is addressing the PO power steering. It was making a little noise pre trip when turned hard driver, but now the squeal is most anytime the wheels aren't straight and if you are actually turning more than to change lanes, it squals and may as well not be "power" because there is no assistance. Gonna email Georg tomorrow get some advice on a proper power steering mount and such. Secondly, got some braking things to square away. The drums work great, but I've got all the mini-truck bits to do a swap on it, would just need to source a new booster and master to complete the conversion. Perhaps a call to @cruiseroutfit would yeld a combo for the swap. And last on the short list, but probably above the brakes is heat sheilding for the floors. If i hadnt been roasting from the waist down, and if the driver vent window wasnt broken (will be remedied soon to), it would have been a pretty decent ride. But as it was, the heat from the floors was pretty crazy, so thinking I'm gonna pull the seats and carpets and put down some lizard skin to help knock down some of that heat.

Also, 3 speeds is not nearly enough, but for now, I'll rock it and be silently scheming on something to help that situation.

So overall it was a great trip, and really helped see where the next areas of focus need to be.

I am a fan of Lizard Skin. Made my ride totes better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom