Meet Marley! 8wk Australian Shepherd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a huge dog lover and even some what of a dog whisperer (all dogs love me :D) I grew up with a beagle named Maggie and she was the best dog. (thats me on the left)

Well over time I got myself a house with a nice big fenced yard, and managed to get in a position where I can work from home. Over the years I have narrowed my sights to the australian shepherd breed, a few friends have them and I love their intelligence and demeanor. Not to mention they are gorgeous!

So my boss' wife's family breeds them and has quite an impressive operation going on.
Canyon Creek Aussies

I had been talking with Camille who runs the breeding operation down in central Utah, and her sister Michelle (boss' wife) lives in Utah Valley and helped get everything arranged. They usually have quite a few pups available and after watching for over a year, I decided on Marley. Her parents are some of the best dogs they have and have a lower-drive personality which I definitely prefer.

I picked her up a few days ago and Camille loved her so much, she offered to refund me all the money AND pay me $500 haha. More the reason to keep her! I've never had a puppy before so it's definitely been a little challenging, but I am getting used to things as is she.

SO excited to finally have this girl in my life and to go on tons of adventures in the cruiser with her! She has already been on a few car rides and does SUPER well. Just mellows out and goes along for the ride. Anyway just wanted to share the fun news! You will all definitely see lots of pictures as she grows up.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 9.56.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.03.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.04.43 AM.png

Marley is such a great puppy. I've had her for over a month now. She has lots of great qualities to her personality. She likes to snuggle, and play fetch. I'm in love with this girl. Only thing that has been hard is potty training, which she has been getting way better at, and the BITING. I jokingly call her the T-Rex. She has been doing better as I have been working with her on this. But she still just loves to chew on people's hands...

Probably the BEST thing is how good she does driving. She just chills out and enjoys the ride. Doesnt get sick/hyper/scared/etc. She is going to be the perfect adventure dog!

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_4860 2.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

For the house breaking - Take the dog outside every hour. Don't get lazy and let her slide. Kennel her up at night and try to get her outside at least once in the middle of the night. Tough on you in the short term but will work out for the better for all. As for the biting of hands, she need more toys. Play ball, fetch or do the Elmer Fudd and 'kill the rabbit'.

Don't stress the biteing, she will grow up. I have two Aussie's now and have had two previous, they are scary smart dogs. Tell her no if she bites but don't ever spank or hit them, they always remember who ever puts hands on

View attachment 1641219

Last edited:
She will whine to go out and will paw or grunt or just nudge you when she gets older. By next year you will have a dog that won't leave your side and follow's you everywhere. One thing you have to do with Aussies is socialize them with kids, they have a tendency to try and round them up if they are running around and will nip at them if they get loud.

Between me and my friends we have well over 20 Aussie's and a couple other mixed cow dogs also.

Ps Love your dogs markeings.....

For the house breaking - Take the dog outside every hour. Don't get lazy and let her slide. Kennel her up at night and try to get her outside at least once in the middle of the night. Tough on you in the short term but will work out for the better for all. As for the biting of hands, she need more toys. Play ball, fetch or do the Elmer Fudd and 'kill the rabbit'.

This is spot on...
that's what I did with my two Stumpy Tail CD.... first year was consistent training... after that they know what to do and not do... !!!

Marley is doing GREAT. Such a good pup. Really sweet demeanor and getting the hang of training no problem. She sticks close to me and doesn't get into (much) trouble. Took her to Fish Lake in central Utah this past weekend for her first swim. She waded right in and swam like a champ. Already thinking of getting a 2nd aussie, gunna wait a few years though :)

37117250_10157698722102846_5462387609470763008_o.jpg

My neighbor is a photographer and borrowed my beater truck to do a photoshoot. She invited me to come take a few pics so here ya go. Count it as my christmas card :p sure love my pup

DSC_3306.jpg

Yayyyyyyy precious Pupper and Christmas mini shoot.

I'm thinking about this breed as of late and thinking about an older dog, between one and two years of age. Unfortunately, not sure how i'm going to juggle a career and raising a dog due to the long hours. I'm a single household and don't think it's fair of me to crate up a dog for long days. I got no neighbors, the downside of living in the boonies.

I'm thinking about this breed as of late and thinking about an older dog, between one and two years of age. Unfortunately, not sure how i'm going to juggle a career and raising a dog due to the long hours. I'm a single household and don't think it's fair of me to crate up a dog for long days. I got no neighbors, the downside of living in the boonies.

A word of advice - mine is 10 and still acts like a puppy. But she's so, so worth it.

A word of advice - mine is 10 and still acts like a puppy. But she's so, so worth it.

This breed, along with other cattle dog or cattle dog mix fit the bill nicely. I'm in no hurry but will stay open to whatever comes my way. Marley is certainly a heart breaker though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom