Meet Lucille - A '74 Crusty Back Road Cruiser - Turbo 3RZ W56 Swapped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im starting this "build" thread to track the progress and to ask questions regarding this crusty, rusty '74 (i think) Toyota Land Cruiser. The vin tag says the build date is 11/74 so i am assuming its a '74 based on the 1f engine and drum brakes all the way around.

I picked up this beauty over the weekend from a field south of San Antonio. It was buried to the hubs in the dirt and didnt roll. The transmission is locked i think. Tires were literally blown out and flat. The guy i bought it from acquired it 10 years ago and didnt touch it. Tags on the plates say '93. Engine was not locked up.

Shes so pretty:
l8FsDgKD1DOR-whzcRL8pZqY3EWb3Kt0FY1lwIfKwKo7X2qciP_8o7fwwq279w7nIrZPIhE67V92AebmQtfVmeW0tnshhnU0L0IO1TkKSRBjlCigdA-_aIP5--aBvoAh57SDCJwktQ=w1000

ZYeya_oUOQJPqx9TFsfbhiN-YH9loI8Yv4Tgs46E6my0DQeWxPC7uVm5t_WX6feLDEhHiF59yCneVONuJnKgkRnC8NIXdzfGFpxCRNy-Ntocx5iILTtb9e2zQPBBIoZfPKkQ5JmWgA=w1000

Pzv9MjgpmcmxR7A7sg2KUrnBF0m5X2suH2k0dK5nFTvFv7Sd-mF-U_f3QSSawzWeeUzoLvnjXz0jHhlh5hbMYItC9ptmEa_SxD0gxdtP6HYUSBOSWlLbdR9Adt19AIvk0jwnq4GmSg=w1000

Dat ass tho
8sEr1voYB_itZO2ZCZ-J9jrhqLGFmv35Uv7gedS5oZG6pXaFc_Y9tCCq5h_SpO4fIDbVSICNL66Btt8mIGKyHMDZUZi-8xGaiRkbVi0iYhY85gISF4Bv0Cce2HIifbCtk3DkYKwddQ=w1000

Specs:
1974 Land Cruiser
Factory Soft top (missing the bows)
1F Engine with a 3-speed (i think) and factory t-case
Holley 2-barrel carb
Going to run 31-33" tires on the oem wheels and hub caps
Rust everywhere
chewed up wiring under the hood

Brought it home and powerwashed it on the trailer. I figured out the t-case and shifted it into neutral and got it to roll. Brakes weren't locked up. Swapped on a set of wheels and tires that i had lying around and rolled it into the shop.

I pulled the radiator to confirm that the engine was indeed free. (turns out you cant reach the front of the crank in any position). Previous owner bypassed the mechanical fuel pump and ran an electric on the firewall. It was shot, so i swapped that out with one i had on the shelf, blew out the carb (holley 2-barrel), swapped 4 out 6 chewed up spark plug wires with some random ones i had (need to find two more), re-did some chewed up wiring, poured fresh gas in and the bitch started right up. All kinds of s*** blew out of the tail pipe, smoked a little, then cleared up after a little time running. This thing is going to be fun.

Already looking better after the bath and new meats
hwtl1c7KXbXyN1WJEn39udvsUh0107IngmGuBSPfF5xn7omA4TUDlEfZRLKYqm-TCz6s-czGEHnO5KgC9BKHn6LvWyC5HCvsvzfQpn-VHqm9wvNp2FGCEDd_hLYpBHxEHSIVPMxpxQ=w1000

Pulled the thermostat housing and found this mess
Ukaopz3Fp-i7kSXKtX2odx4QASZYK7GcV8fLxJlQsZjDwgNfWaQ2g8CyvKvg6lY-3CdW0YYrRIWcPkj8IqqMZq03FEHb1eliJBgpfb6S0vs_PrwfndRzR3rzPNpgEq0Bsb4xhWRBJQ=w1000

fRa8NxrrbaexXvWvfi1zbWt9Y6UiPt4XkiLI9sOt8kqZMf8MJqbfb7xPbvM4Of5qmCa-Vz9xEbTpsMobAadZv7Wz19rOsOkQVg_l7M51vnuMUYKRwmCOLfBcKQfQPqs4M3IwLgEHNA=w1000

Housing. I cleaned it up and its salvageable
QnB9fphSLlZBE5a2ru5_QUSXcSAGNiUJmqWXKc-I8RlJFaBsuTHkMUwHN0NtHp-iIsBIDtRFrZyJKAp_dj22bJHHxZw4ferUG7rsSYR8IgPgEwZDC2TdvCd44ozBWoRBBRNbltqYUQ=w1000

Now on to the plans for this thing. My goal to make it a back roads cruiser. That means i only need it to reach a speed of 45-55 mph. I plan on rebuilding what needs to be rebuilt to make it a nice driver.
1. Swap on fj60 brakes up front
2. Swap in a 60 rear while im at it (need to see if the 40 third member is compatible with the 60 shafts to keep the same gear ratio.
3. New seats (current ones are beyond scrap)
4. 31-33" skinny meats
5. Warn 8274 winch (love the look of this winch on a classic cruiser)
6. New booster and master cylinder
7. Profit?

Current issues that i am fighting.
1. The engine will only stay running with the key in the "start" position. After some research, it could either be the ballast resistor or the ignition. Both are now on order. Anything else it could be? I jumped the coil straight to the battery so it would stay running without me holding the key.
2. Some of the lighting works. Like i mentioned earlier, rats had lunch with the wiring. I plan on fixing as much as i can and cleaning grounds before i start replacing lights. The headlights themselves dont come on with the switch, but i confirmed they work by jumping it to the battery.
3. Trans is locked up i think. I cant get the shifter to go into any gear and it wiggles just a little bit. Cant even shift into neutral. I soaked it in Kroil and will pop the cover off to see if anything is blatantly wrong before i drag it around the yard to try and free it up. Do any mini truck 5-speeds adapt to the 1F? W56, r150, G52, etc? I can run a mini truck case and a centered IFS rear at that point.

Ive downloaded several FSMs to help me diagnose this beauty. This is my first Land Cruiser. I am deep into the first gen mini truck game so i have all kinds of parts to use, as needed. Cant wait to get it on the road again.

Sorry for the long winded first post.

Last edited:
if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary, let me know. Im new to these and dont know the differences between model years just yet. Also, im sure i met some of yall before at various wheeling events in TX/AR/OK. I usually wheel a 1st gen toyota truck.

i9RKMVfOIzzddG4R1k0HwgdDWBBYYB7PCLeKGCYYVm5th21X7l2CRlf0avjhZRothEpEOI1sxmy_sKmkP246lT8OjI_zBFWRzwWKxlFwcZCcelafS4sqmDOC697ij2_IQiDz61b_tQ=w1000

Take a big juicy look at ebay #254041028091, especially the drawings- - -good luck with project.

Thanks for the link. I live about an hour from the coast in TX and needless to say, we dont have much elevation change. Im hoping the carb will work fine on the flat ground we have.

Saw that one on Craigslist here in San Antonio. I thought hard about picking it up just to use the parts on my herd, so I'm happy that someone picked it up to run again. I don't think that is a FST truck for several reasons: the "tailgate" is homemade-the hinges are barn door hinges not tailgate hinges, it has hard doors/hard door type hinges mounted to the tub. Also does it have a "Vader" light on the dash, and are there threaded holes on the outside of the dash on both sides for the eye bolts (which must be removed to mount hard doors)?

Saw that one on Craigslist here in San Antonio. I thought hard about picking it up just to use the parts on my herd, so I'm happy that someone picked it up to run again. I don't think that is a FST truck for several reasons: the "tailgate" is homemade-the hinges are barn door hinges not tailgate hinges, it has hard doors/hard door type hinges mounted to the tub. Also does it have a "Vader" light on the dash, and are there threaded holes on the outside of the dash on both sides for the eye bolts (which must be removed to mount hard doors)?
It has the Vader light on the dash and there are buttons across the top of the windshield frame for a top to secure to. Maybe it was an aftermarket Bimini top or something. Just going off what the guy told me.

So I dicked with the transmission some more today. It’s frozen up solid. Took the inspection cover off the trans to check the clutch and it’s not even against the flywheel. It also doesn’t have any friction material left on it, so I threw Lucille on the lift.

I pulled the drain plug and quickly figured out why she’s stuck. Both the trans and t-case are full of water.

F26155BF-DEF3-44D9-8051-CA85DCE2E06E.jpeg

The channel on the windshield frame is aftermarket- I have one of those to mount a bikini top. FST channel is body color and is bolted to the factory threaded holes in the top of the windshield frame (they are under that channel) and is the width of the frame.
HTH,
Will

This is a very adventuresome project. That rig is quite crusty but I’m amazed what people with determination can achieve.

Not a FST but a 40 nonetheless (or was at one time).
Cheers from Kerrville.

hOOter

The channel on the windshield frame is aftermarket- I have one of those to mount a bikini top. FST channel is body color and is bolted to the factory threaded holes in the top of the windshield frame (they are under that channel) and is the width of the frame.
HTH,
Will
Thanks for the info Will. I’m new to these FJs. If you had a question about what the differences were between a 79-83 mini truck I’d know that easily. Haha.

I need to make a decision on if it’s worth messing with or to cut my losses and look for a better one.

I have a '74. I've seen 2 better examples for less money in the 5 or so years I've been nursing mine back to health. But by then the emotional investment was too high. If you are going to trade, do it before you forge a blood bond with it (that happens when wrenching and it makes you bleed on it. :)) Looks like an honest truck (issues are not painted over). I'd say go for it, but I'm pretty partial to the '74s now. They are a special year.

Oh and I was new to the 40 too. I made many parts mistakes (mixed up years etc...). I'm still no expert (nor am I a purist), but I can pick apart those $150k restos pretty handily. I'm always happy to answer a question if I can or help you source a part (I've sourced them all it feels like).

I have a '74. I've seen 2 better examples for less money in the 5 or so years I've been nursing mine back to health. But by then the emotional investment was too high. If you are going to trade, do it before you forge a blood bond with it (that happens when wrenching and it makes you bleed on it. :)) Looks like an honest truck (issues are not painted over). I'd say go for it, but I'm pretty partial to the '74s now. They are a special year.

I hear you on the blood bond. I have two other projects ahead of this one (A RHD first gen mini truck with a 3rz, and a 1st gen tacoma on 40s), and was really hoping the FJ would be an easy rig to get back on the road and do some backroading by my house. I dont think i want to spend the time and money on it now. Ill still be on the hunt for one that doesnt require as much work. Too many projects and not enough time. lol.

Im still doing research, but a buddy has an '83 FJ60 that hes parting out. Assuming he has the 4-speed in it, will this bolt up to the fj40 bellhousing i currently have? My transmission is a 4-speed as well. I hoping that his 4-speed and t-case from the 60 will be a direct swap and i wont have to modify driveshafts and/or crossmembers to make it work.

Quick question: The vin plate says its a 11/74 LC. Is that yep a 74 or 75? I thought '75s had disc brake front ends? Or is this some wierd transition year?

I have a July 1975 with factory drum brakes. I think disc came later in '75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom