Builds Meet Foster -1988 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 115 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
Finally picked up my BJ73 from Diesel Dog. This truck has quite a history. Sold by DD, repossessed by me, lifted by me, returned to DD by :princess: after DDs accident and before I left for PI. It was stored indoors for about 6 years. Javier in Houston went through it to be sure it was ready for a cross country journey and put my new BFGs on there. North bound to Austin tomorrow. It needs some care to mitigate a bit of rust but the 3B and H55 are in good shape.

20181222_124716.jpg
20181222_124644.jpg
20181222_124709.jpg
20181222_124610.jpg
20181222_124639.jpg

And MH.
So we made it to Austin and are doing some beer drinking for a few days then leaving on the 26th but just going to Waco.
The truck is running great but I am puking 90w out the rear transfer case seal. I think it looks way worse than it is but its bad.
We are going to check it and top it off in Waco on the 26th. I am not overly concerned but it is a good leak.
Of course we traveled without tools so we need to get those too.
It's only money.

Plenty of TX cruiserheads... especially in Austin....

I’m sure you could swap out the seal real quick in a driveway.

It’s pretty simple.

If you have issues getting the parts in TX, my parts box will be re-stocked with what you need by Thursday.
It would be a quick easy fix at your place.

What year?
This morning I picked up a 24mm socket and a gallon of gear oil. Did not find an output seal at the Napa I checked and of course they did not have one at Autozone - no surprise. (No - I did not ask for one for an 88 BJ73 :confused: )
So tomorrow I am going to check the level while MH does laundry.
At least this will keep the underside from rusting. :)
Brakes seem a little spongy.

It is if I could get the parts.

Have you checked to see if they are the same as a 60 series?

Did all the JDMs have those glass protecters on the back windows? I only recall seeing them on JDM 6* series

Have you checked to see if they are the same as a 60 series?

Did all the JDMs have those glass protecters on the back windows? I only recall seeing them on JDM 6* series
Yeah - it is the same split case as a 60 series so should be easy to get. Lots of places are closed today and I am drinking beer everywhere so I did not try too hard. The wife wants me to wait because she knows something silly will go wrong.

The other question I can not answer. I was thinking it was to strengthen the FRP top where the big hole was for the side windows and prevent some flex.

I was thinking it was to strengthen the FRP top where the big hole was for the side windows and prevent some flex.

I thought it was to stop loads hitting the windows although surely something would find its way around a skinny little rod like that.

Its 6.35 am xmas day, so beer time will start soon after I have cleaned up the mess from yesterdays cook fest

Last edited:
Got under the truck to add some gear oil. I lost nearly a quart on the short drive from Houston to Austin. I will definitely be filling it several more times before Larry's house.

No noises from the transmission? How many klms does it has it done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom