medium pitch gear whine. ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I bought the truck there has been a what sounds like a gear whine. I am thinking that it is in the TC but not sure. The sound is not noticable at low speed ie. Under 35 but once above that you can hear it. It only makes the sound when there is a load on the the drivetrain. The pitch of the sound does not get higher or low but comes and goes with load. I have checked the fluids in th TC and front and rear diffs and all is good.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. The truck still drives great. Just an annoying sound.

Thanks

By checking the fluid did you dip your finger in the fill hole and look at color or drain and fill and inspect the magnetic trap to determine if you have any metal shavings?

By checking the fluid did you dip your finger in the fill hole and look at color or drain and fill and inspect the magnetic trap to determine if you have any metal shavings?

Yes. All was good when checked. Fluid was a little dirty. Drained and refilled. No change in sound of whine. There was no metal shavings.

Since I bought the truck there has been a what sounds like a gear whine. I am thinking that it is in the TC but not sure. The sound is not noticable at low speed ie. Under 35 but once above that you can hear it. It only makes the sound when there is a load on the the drivetrain. The pitch of the sound does not get higher or low but comes and goes with load. I have checked the fluids in th TC and front and rear diffs and all is good.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. The truck still drives great. Just an annoying sound.

Thanks

Mine does the same thing. I have changed all the fluids and it is still there. I think it might just been worn gears that have 150K on them. I think my noise is coming from the front diff, but I could be wrong. I am probably going to regear at some point, so it will be interesting to see if it is still there at that point.

For now, I have gotten use to the noise and put some BFG KM2's on. They drown out the gear whine a bit even though I consider them a quiet MT. So, my solution is to put on big tires and lift!

i had a similar noise. at highway speeds 55+ there was a wine under load only. at least only noticeable under load. i found that my rear u-joint had small grooves in it barley noticeable. but it was enough to make the noise. after i replaced the u-joint the noise was gone.

i had a similar noise. at highway speeds 55+ there was a wine under load only. at least only noticeable under load. i found that my rear u-joint had small grooves in it barley noticeable. but it was enough to make the noise. after i replaced the u-joint the noise was gone.

Thanks for the info. I will check on this this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom