Medium or Heavy Duty 2" OME (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 2" OME lift through rocky-road.com. Great customer service and support.

There was a thread some time back that I can't find. The guy was very detailed about his build, and found the "perfect lift kit."

Rocky-road talked me into the Medium duty since I won't be going off-road as much as I would like. But I will eventually add bumpers, and a roof rack (if the wife gives me more allowance). Plus I hope to load this hundy down with camping equipment, and get out!

I know the Heavy springs can be added later, for an additional $200, but is the ride without all the armor, really that rough? Is it much rougher than the medium duty?

:cheers:

It would be significantly stiffer than medium load springs. However, I know people who have run heavy load springs without bumpers and its really not a bad ride at all.

I didn't think it was harsh at all, I ran the heavy OME 866 springs for my first lift, as I was just starting to add accessories. I also like trucks to feel a little stiff, less body roll on corners, etc. And any time I was hitting a long bumpy dirt road, I had plenty of gear inside for ballast.

Well said Nakman.
I was about to write the same thing about my 866 heavies.

I daily drove an FJ60 on OME springs for a few months. That will refocus you on what stiff and bouncy means.

...Rocky-road talked me into the Medium duty since I won't be going off-road as much as I would like...

Light vs. medium vs. heavy vs. heavy plus has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you take your vehicle off-road rather the intended accessory loads (bumpers, racks, winches, etc) and transient loads (camping gear, tools, trailers, roof rack load, even passengers) you plan. We generally recommend customers choose components that fit their past, current and future needs for the next 1-6 months. Any longer than that and one should likely increase coil rates as their needs change.

I put on 866's yesterday leaving the remaining suspension stock for now. I want each component does as I add it. I have not done anything to the T-Bars.

I too, went through the Med vs Heavy and settled on a mild lift that can handle a load of tools or people, and not drag the hitch when I trailer.

The ride as is, is great! It's a bit firmer, but in a good way. Bumps, and rough roads don't translate to the body as much as the stock spring. If I want more lift I just add spacers.

The plan is to add OME shocks all around and a Slee Diff Drop, they are in the garage when the weather cooperates, and time allows. ;)

IMG_1008.jpg

I put on 866's yesterday leaving the remaining suspension stock for now. I want each component does as I add it. I have not done anything to the T-Bars.

I too, went through the Med vs Heavy and settled on a mild lift that can handle a load of tools or people, and not drag the hitch when I trailer.

The ride as is, is great! It's a bit firmer, but in a good way. Bumps, and rough roads don't translate to the body as much as the stock spring. If I want more lift I just add spacers.

The plan is to add OME shocks all around and a Slee Diff Drop, they are in the garage when the weather cooperates, and time allows. ;)

Hi Cyberjace, what tire are you running with the 866 with the 18s?

Question isn't medium or heavy OME lift, the question is: are you going to have after market bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates, rear drawer kit, roof rack and roof top tent, etc. then the answer is the HEAVY option.
If you don't plan adding a lot, stay with the medium. I have the heavy 2" on mine with 35" tires and have not added any bumpers or anything yet, so the ride can get a little bumpy.

I also moved up from the OME 865 medium to the 866 heavy coils a few years back. I don't have aftermarket bumpers, but do load-up a lot of camping gear which is why I made the switch. With the OME shocks (about six years old now) my '99 rides fine, but I do like a firmer ride. I also have the OME torsion bars up front and 30mm spacers in the back on top of the coils.

Hi Cyberjace, what tire are you running with the 866 with the 18s?
Sorry to reply so late, but they are
275/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's I am very happy with them. I got them in Jan from the Tire Rack, go about 10k on them now. Great in the snow, wet, and mud. Very little wear, my wife doesn't complain about road noise. So I am pretty sold on them.

I know everyone focuses on more being better, or in this case heavier being better, but I personally would temper the desire for a couple reasons.

1) heavy springs equals heavy rates. This is great for load carrying but not really that great for offroading in terms of articulation. What's desirable is long travel with lower rates. Yes, all this is a function of how much weight you are carrying, but making the truck too stiff in general hampers articulation.

2) saving weight is hitting the mainstream, yet all we do on these boards is focus on making tanks out of our hundies. Jeeps, due to their piss poor load capacities have recognized the for awhile. But even Range Rovers and the F150s have gone on significant diets with prominent use of aluminum and seeing great benefits of added load load capacities and performance. It'd be interesting to see how much over GVWR most armored out and loaded up hundies are on these boards. I challenge the venders to come up with more smartly designed and lighter weight gear for us. But really, until us enthusiasts on these boards come around and demand as such, we'll never see a change and reap benefits other communities are seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom