Medano pass with small trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

We're gearing up to head to the sand dunes this weekend. Initial plan was to find some primitive camping nearby, but I now learned you can primitive camp at designated spots on the pass.

For those of you that have done it, think a triple locked 100 with a small camper trailer can make it? I read that it gets narrow in certain spots, but I'm more worried about deep sand, I think.

Truck and trailer in question.

yp85ZzGDLIr-guGLuekNFtJvsNwKn8sjH0C-B6OVy9jDF1LOcp4QWMyOhz5g0c3VNBePbRZSL4Dvnd-urdQSmvwP1vOoVMbLhG0qo8cG1NjhwNCuvjREmmxdN63yV7Gj4SHkaaCPdW4=s0

I did it a couple weekend's ago. We started on the dunes side. There was a 2-door Jeep Wrangler coming at us with a trailer but I didn't chat with them to find out if they had actually made it over the pass or if they went in and turned around.

I had no issue with the sand, never needing 4WD on that portion but I had aired down to 15psi. We ran across a Chevy Silverado with street tires dug in to the axles. The guy had no recovery gear and no clue about airing down.

There was one short steep section once out of the sand and on to regular dirt that was pretty badly mogulled out. I had to put the FJ in 4-Lo and turn on the rear locker and give it a bit of stupid pedal. This will probably be the biggest challenge with that trailer. I haven't ever hauled a trailer offroad so I really don't know but I'd think that front locker would make up for the trailer weight on that section. Otherwise, I was in 2WD for most of it.

Water levels are down since it has been pretty dry. I was up to the door jambs only once. However, there is snow in the forecast for Denver starting Saturday night and going on all day Sunday. Not sure if it will be reaching that far south.

Width-wise should be fine if you don't mind a bit of pin-striping. My FJ is 75" wide and I never got uncomfortable with the trail.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Was the mogulled out spot off camber? My trailer is definitely more tippy than the truck. I get nervous when it really starts to lean.

It's been maybe two years since I camped up there. I don't remember any challanges if you come in from the east side. It was just typical forest roads. Coming in from the Park will be sandy.

I think you shouldn't have any problems if you're a decent driver. I've done it two different times, most recently in 2018, and it was pretty mild. Funny story, my buddy attempted it in his Volkswagen GTI a number of years ago and got stuck about a mile in, a jeep pulled him out backwards and ripped his front bumper off. His bumper was held on my duck tape for quite awhile after that incident.

I took my camper up there two years ago and I don't recall anything crazy to worry about.

I think you shouldn't have any problems if you're a decent driver. I've done it two different times, most recently in 2018, and it was pretty mild. Funny story, my buddy attempted it in his Volkswagen GTI a number of years ago and got stuck about a mile in, a jeep pulled him out backwards and ripped his front bumper off. His bumper was held on my duck tape for quite awhile after that incident.

No wai! There was a GTI attempting it a couple weeks back. No duct tape on the bumper though.

Thanks for all the insight! The videos look like there's nothing to worry about, but I'm still breaking in this trailer and get nervous about it on the trails. I'll report back how it went. Im sure we'll be fine, but if not there will be an exciting trip report. Silver lining, right??

It must be something about the type of person that owns a GTI, haha. This was not at all out of character for my buddy.

There was even an RTT on the it. Wish I had snapped a picture but traffic was heavy. It was like the 405 on a day.

Thanks for all the insight! The videos look like there's nothing to worry about, but I'm still breaking in this trailer and get nervous about it on the trails. I'll report back how it went. Im sure we'll be fine, but if not there will be an exciting trip report. Silver lining, right??

Please do. All of it was pretty tame except that one short section. Hope you have fun. I would love to see some pictures of Medano Lake if you get out to it. We didn't have time.

Did you make it out to the lake?

We saw like 10 trucks at the bottom of the hill to the lake. I was worried I wouldn't have room to turn around, so we kept moving. Plus it was getting late and we still weren't sure where we were going to setup camp.

What trailer is that? Nice looking.

Made it without issue. Only needed 4wd in the sand and at the mogulled spot. Everything else was tame. No need for lockers. Ended up camping just outside the reserve on forest land. Woke up to a very chilly and cloudy morning. Thankful for the heater!

dKOxTwqagaecqAlOicpQrp84UFMeVrR4GTs3IMjTgzYSbAtsS5N8tBPGzayjZl16wLRCUONnaA-9TpejPngSLRLerbvH3g_RJmQ8VAW4EGdVTyTLkXQ_3mKjqnjcrIv1G89Wj8i-haE=s0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom