Mechanics just finished all the mechanical stuff...Stereo Upgrade help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Finally bit the bullet and got all the work done on my well preserved Cruiser.

Now I want to treat myself with a new stereo/speaker system.

Obviously tech changes every 6 months or so, so not every thread has reasonable suggestions. Not to mention items purchased years ago are no longer available.

I'm hoping someone here might share the system they recently installed, or maybe share their dream system.

Likely purchasing/using Cartoys.com for purchase and install.

Looking to upgrade:

Headunit
Speakers
Amp
Alarm

Add:
Backup camera

double din alpine ilx-w650 (allows up to two cameras) is a slim chassis, you can attach a mini amp to it on it's back, for speakers, you don't have many choices for front doors, since you end up hitting the window guides, i'd go with infinity kappa's 6.5, or something that depth.

double din alpine ilx-w650 (allows up to two cameras) is a slim chassis, you can attach a mini amp to it on it's back, for speakers, you don't have many choices for front doors, since you end up hitting the window guides, i'd go with infinity kappa's 6.5, or something that depth.
Thank you.

Any recommendation on a new alarm, lcd rear view or backup camera?

Any recommendation on a new alarm
+1 on Compustar.
I went with the one-way system as the 2-way broadcasts and encryption is not available.
Concur with range - very good.
Your head-unit should provide the backup cam.

Last edited:
sony xav ax205db i put in mine - great unit
I second the cheap ebay cameras - had mine in for a few years now & no issues (one at rear beneath tailgate LED brake light & one under the bullbar at the front - really helpful off road)

BUT - given your name, whatever headunit you get it must go to 11 at least :)

CompuStar 7900AS. Great range and a two-way remote. I can check the temperature inside my vehicle from probably 350 yards away, or inside a big box store. I haven't found the range limit yet.
Can I just get the CompuStar 7900AS All-in-one package and install it, or did you need to install the Compustar Blade unit as well?

Can I just get the CompuStar 7900AS All-in-one package and install it, or did you need to install the Compustar Blade unit as well?

No Blade needed. I still don't get what that's for. I had a fully functioning alarm and remote start system using what's in the box (plus installation tools, wire taps, etc).

I bought the OP500 programmer for $58 in order to turn on an option that I wanted, namely to turn on the interior light for 45 seconds when the alarm is deactivated. Download the manual and see if you want any of the POC options (Programmable Output Control, I think). You probably won't.

The installation manual is here:

By the way, the manual is very much intended for professional installers, so it will take awhile to absorb it. And their company will steer you toward professional installers and won't give tech support to consumers.

sony xav ax205db i put in mine - great unit
I second the cheap ebay cameras - had mine in for a few years now & no issues (one at rear beneath tailgate LED brake light & one under the bullbar at the front - really helpful off road)

BUT - given your name, whatever headunit you get it must go to 11 at least :)
@robnicko - can you share a picture of your front camera setup? I’m seriously considering adding one but want to see how others have mounted it first.

I like Morel speakers and JL Audio subs and amps.

Cheers
I don’t have experience with Morel speakers but Yes on the JL Audio subs and amps, they are top tier …I have JL Audio speakers in front doors and dash, great sounding!

I suggest the Craig 3140 Quad.

I dig it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom