1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mechanical temperature gauge

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by loeky, Aug 22, 2006.

1. loeky

loeky

posting this info up for posterity and future searches for people in the same boat. parts list and ordering info is at the bottom.

the story is that my truck has been running hot, or so i thought after seeing the stock temp gauge red line while running long distances on the freeway. never any hesitation or other symptoms from the engine that i noticed.

ended up replacing the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and radiator. everything. they were all shot at around 176K and needed replacing. problem was that the overheating issue seemed to persist. complete BS i thought. elimintated the head gasket as a problem with sniffer test at the shop.

only other issue could be the bent AC condenser that the PO left me with. figured not enough air was getting by to properly cool the system down. about 1/4 of the fins were bent way down and tweaked preventing normal air flow. substantial enough to create the problem while at speed. around town the truck ran fine and didn't overheat.

meanwhile, i the pegging of both temp and gas gauges would happen maybe once a month or so. heard cleaning the contacts worked for a while, but wasn't permanent so i didn't bother.

after all that, finally i installed a mechanical temperature gauge to see what the hell was really going on. hard numbers. my test numbers:

freeway driving at 70MPH = 200F
    freeway driving at 70MPH w/ AC = 215F

that's not far off the normal 195F i've read as being 'normal'. insert big sigh of relief. truck has been reliable over the last year i've owned it and was glad to know i wasn't killing her. probably my only gripe with the cruiser overall is the crappy stock gauges. i could have probably bought new OEM and still not known the actual numbers, but that would have been useless for me.

here's what i bought to make this happen:

Auto Meter Phantom Analog Temperature Gauge
    # ATM-5732
    http://tinyurl.com/hdtm2

Metric Adapter, Mechanical Temperature, 5/8 in.-18 UNF to 16mm x 1.5
    # ATM-2275
    http://tinyurl.com/hv7cg

Auto Meter Gauge Panel, 2 1/16
    # ATM-2237
    http://tinyurl.com/h7hy9

drilled a hole in the firewall, removed stock temp sender, ran tubing to it and screwed adapters in with some gasket sealer. wired up the lighting and voila - easy peasy. i might alter slightly the angle of it to look up at me a little more.

fine as is though and will post up pictures tonight hopefully.

i still have yet to deal with the condenser issue, but have the part in hand and will do it when i get to an AC shop to reclaim the R12 in the system. will then replace the condenser and dryer and then probably just fill up with Freeze12 as i've heard it works fine.

hope this helps someone else in the same boat. if your cooling system is in good condition, make sure the gauge is not flaking out.

2. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Knowing EXACTLY how hot you are getting makes a huge difference.

A good chunk of people that have overheating problems with a 2F have a bad gauge.

3. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

A mechanic I used to take my '87 '60 to discovered on his computer database that Toyota issued a factory recall on the gauges way back. Totally void now but interesting considering the gauge problems we've all had.

For my part I was able to get an instument cluster on ebay and combined it with mine to make for a pretty good resoration. I was even able to get a fairly good paint match with rattle cans. Super cheap and all OEM gauges work.

4. loeky

loeky

i would have liked to stay with stock gauges if they were reliable. it's just not worth the trouble to me. i'd rather have real numbers.

knowing that it's only really 5 degrees off of specified operating norm is a big security when out on the road. i'm just curious why they don't still offer the recall?

5. Tinker

Tinker

Can't you just bend the fins back? Surely the tubes aren't bent.

6. loeky

loeky

you're talking about the condenser i assume. the fins are bent so far down it's as if a bowling ball was dropped on one large corner of it. i tried at it for about 15 minutes with a screw driver and it was useless - the pieces would break off as they had been creased from bending so far. really a PITA.

the tube going across the front is also all bent up. surprisingly, the AC has worked the whole time, but i think that's just because i haven't messed with it. any major touching and i think it would bust.

7. Fantom

Fantom

Albums:
    Got any pics you can share.
    Thanks

8. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

on th e2f motor is there a pipe plug you can remove from the head just close to the OEM temp sender and do the same thing without screwing with your factory guage?

I have some old autometer mechanical and electric guages....I may tackle this over the weekend. I too like a "real guage" with numbers.

any good mounting points for the guages on the interior? my truck is an 86 FJ60

9. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

I think I should have said 2f motor... "read between the lines"..

thanks

10. loeky

loeky

i already had two gauges mounted below the air/heat controls in the middle of the dash.

i opted to mount the temp gauge to the left of the steering wheel under the fuse panel. i'm not a huge guy and this works for me.

11. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

any good solutions on where to install an aftermarket temp sender on the engine (temp sender feeds the guage ...electircal or mechanical).
    I want the OEM guage to work.

Places I've considered... drilling and taping the water neck housing, installing in line on one of the radiator hoses.

I don't see a pipe plug or other location on the intake or cylinder head to mount an aftermarket guage.....anyone have any realistic suggestions?

My previous comment about an extra pipe plug up near the factory temp sender was wrong...at least I dont' see on on my 2f engine in the 86 FJ 60.

12. IH8Wood

IH8Wood

The bottom of the gauge sensor hits the head and can't be screwed down. I have an 83 FJ60, as far as I know very stock 2f.

13. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

Ok, so you do need the adapter? I'm about the go down the same route of installing a mechanical temp gauge. I use autometer stuff too,. I like the phantom line.

Do most of the guys who do this ...generally just remove the OEM temp sender and discard....I know the wire that feeds the sender has seen better days but the OEM gauge does work.

I alwasy prefer to know a number on the water temp, in place of just hot vs. cold.

Only thing I hate about the mechnical gaugaes is the &$^% sender wire...

14. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

don't they make an extension?

I'm thinking the metric adapter would add about 3/4 of an inch to the avaliable depth ?

I'll find out in a day or two. I just received the autometer mechanical gauge I ordered and I already had the adapter refereced above.

15. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

There is a post on either the 60 or 80 forum about doing just that - drilling and tapping the water neck houseing. Too lazy to search just now...

16. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

one minor part missing in the above install description. I just complted almost the identical setup. I have one electrical volmeter auotmeter gauge and now one mechanical temp gauge. Allthough I'm sure it may be an oversight. On my 86 at least there is a facotory (or appears to be factoy) adapter / bushing between the temp sender and the head. I had to use the 1/2 breaker bar to get the temp sender and "bushing" out this evening.

So anyway.... reinstalled bushing with locktite thread sealer, then metric adapter referenced above, then temp probe, then nut that seats temp probe (all with thread sealer....just for fun.

Drilled hole through firewall 7/8ths and hooked up the guages. I rum autometer stuff too, even though I like the range on the electrical gauage better, I agree a mechanical gauage is a better reference.

This evening took it for a test ride ( I have 4 core rad and 180 thermostat).. Ran around 180 without A/C. WIth A/C it boucnes around 190 +, Let it idle a long time with the A/C on , hotest it got was just under 200. I'll drive it to work tomorrow to check ti out, its suppose to be hot again here tomorrow (100F) which is pretty hot for AL. I'll post a follow up on what the temp readings are during the "heat wave"...

17. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

one more post on temp observations.....
    Ambient temp = 98F

Hwy readings at 65mph for an hour or two 202 F
    Across town and low speed 30-45 MPH 190F or so.
    A/C on

Engine temp readings with new mechanical temp gauge.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">