Mechanical Oil Pressure Sending Unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member to the forum and trying to learn as much as I can.

Recently, noticed that the needle in the oil pressure gauge flat-lined in my '88 FJ62. Decided (after reading a few posts) that I should start with replacing the sending unit before moving onto the gauge itself. If the picture is not helpful I will try to do better but based on several posts and research, it seems I have a mechanical gauge installed and wanted to confirm. It might be hard to tell but the sending unit in my truck has a single wire that slots directly into the housing rather then clip onto the center bung (as is the case with electric sending units).

20200715_122836.jpg

If in fact the sending unit is mechanical, looking for some additional assistance with troubleshooting. Currently, when I turn the truck on, the needle builds slowly and travels to the top of the gauge (full high). If I was dealing with an electric sending unit, this would probably indicate the wire was attached to the ground (and I'd now also be dealing with a burnt out gauge) but I wasn't able to find any threads on troubleshooting a mechanical gauge with a high pressure reading. If anyone is able to confirm I am working with a mechanical gauge and any information on troubleshooting the high reading I would greatly appreciate it.

The stock oil pressure gage is electric.

Thanks for the info everyone. Upon further inspection (actually getting under the truck and getting a bit dirty), working with a stock gauge. Will be replacing and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom