Mechanical fan oscillating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lumbee1

Native American
Threads
I recently installed a supercharger on my 80. I knew ahead of time that there was potential the fan could hit the radiator or shroud and make for a bad day. I added 1/2" spacers (12.73mm) behind the fan to space it away from the engine to clear the pulleys and belts. Supercharger was completed at the beginning of November and we went on a wheeling trip mid-November. I've put about 2000 miles on the truck with no problems at all.

Last week, I punched the throttle to merge into fast moving traffic. When I got home, I found the radiator was leaking. My first suspicion was that the fan contacted the radiator. I pulled everything apart and confirmed that my 2 1/2 month old radiator now had a huge gash in it.

J_XTwGeFFDVpd4TjqRpaedrkN-cn2HxCAeA80VQAFnz-qhDgvkaM0kjbh59M7YJAtKPNwis5IdWcbI64MN4TPXtGxj8ekQqJQPr19WhZeLIyOpE-bLOu-5tHGWCRqNppNRjpFokEbOUzxp45nQBrMH-wi0OiFXwG-f5k9Ai5j6uU4lx-RtIeZJg4S4VH6mzTCtTsx63nNattJAzUWOpTyFYjbImg8lcj6L65pVm1vCDrDRLSZ-spX7-oNssnlDx_O8S7EeVQad322cTiSb4wXgm6QApa2Gi90aGWlRJHqBC8o8ZllskUjQ08_7LsUp_GJOO2FMb6H0KRkEMnqAZl9A1BDSutbf5JJvIvdZyR2bY-JD2LHa4rvlgd3chsrSUciiLnOwieV96Vm54GOKKON3C_aAV-w1REOm6JS2V4GeBrfcBCuVHUMc9JWX48W8ucodbRUCcbfR9_RLhQTSTvxJ9i1Peg-vfcZnLAPJpygvhBEvRNrlJCZsixfsboidmQq_hSDAvyZ1cOdroCkrNdUODc2RnzaAgu3dHvRVk5UejJ2O4aP80cb2LqBEVf6KO9cYdmmuiTD6zwWuP5qmVZlLVt2yTWYma2eIMS3lsSPZ9CvErBt7BTR3F8VNEFlqNpQBQfCLR86EcuU5wmcBKshj3NpT5j600AvOhYd8oHtpRKop5xir6nqqZJ8cJeN3iJx8JiLtzSDVTBwpXu5xU8F5MOYkjbPw1VJI05h1NmuYxkx8-yRp4tmhOgR97xE5HnYrUUXXzMmxc1J1bDKpDpffoEmf5ngV6TZutfJRkT247UxUvP45ORKOiv3cQPsQCdRgp8vG-9OF6M_tnDvFCvytRb8YaCie9CUJlXPJ9M8Cpe9C1R3SAxuQvjrCteHgaQD5YSG5uYHUQXcxB_W-8R6LEI4aLJaTNYPEcg9AkjxLVYOA=w1278-h576-no

This is a TYC1918 and while I feel like it is a superior radiator to OEM and Denso, the core is thicker (1.89") which means less space for the mechanical fan.

I ordered a Denso 2219362 radiator instead. The Denso radiator was significantly more expensive than the TYC but the core is thinner (1.42"). Specs for each are available on RockAuto.com. Side by side you can see the density of the fins is greater on the TYC. Construction quality on both is about the same.
TYC1918 left, Denso 2219362 right.
1674235544042.png

BTW, I could clearly see through the Denso. The TYC was much more difficult. Performance on the TYC was great, we'll see if the Denso can maintain 182* in all conditions.

I also purchased a new AISIN FNT-004 Engine Cooling Fan Blade from Amazon. My original fan had plastic stress marks on a few of the blades probably from hitting the rad and after 27 years of spinning, it needed a break.

Which gets me back to my main question and concern.
After installing the new radiator (lots more space), reinstalling the fan with 8mm spacers from McMaster-Carr, reinstalling the shroud, and tightening everything down to spec, I started the truck today and noticed an odd oscillation.

The fan wobbles inside of the shroud but it doesn't wobble based on rpm but rather like a oscillation. If the spacers I installed were installed incorrectly, the fan would be off center and produce a high speed vibration. However my fan at idle, runs smooth for a few seconds and then giggles, smooth, then giggles. I don't know if I feel comfortable running the truck like this but I'm also being a bit paranoid since I don't want to blow up another radiator. My expectation was that the fan would spin smooth as glass. I guess it is possible that my fan hub is bent dented but spacing between the fan blade and pulleys remains the same.

Any ideas? Does your Cruiser do the same thing?

Just installed my super charger a few months ago. Run the orange fan clutch from Landtank with the stock fan. No spacers needed, no issues from the start. Runs smooth, cooling is perfect.

It sounds like something is out of balance somewhere in the system. I would first disconnect the fan and run the engine to see if the problem goes away or if there is an oscillating vibration somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom