Mechanical differences between.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Model yrs 2007 to 2014. I haven't been around the site in a few yrs. Sold my 80 5yrs ago but am getting back in to an FJ. I've been researching for about 2yrs and have learned the basics about them but I'm curious as to the differences of mechanical components from the first year to the last. Examples; gearing, axle/diff toughness, tranny issues, things like that. I used to get so much helpful info from y'all and am looking forward to that relationship again, Cheers!!

The only big changes (performance,durability and drivetrain wise) between the model years were some motor differences and the rear axle change in 2010. In 2010 they swapped a bunch of stuff around on the motor that gave it a bit more power. The rear axle was switched from an 8" to an 8.2." to handle the extra power.

Around the same time (2010ish) the inner fenders, which are prone to cracking on the 07-09 got beefed up a bit and do not seem to have the same cracking issues as the older ones.

There are some interior and electronic gizmos that were added over the years, but nothing that would make buying an older one a poor choice.

Biggest thing I would make sure to get is one with a rear locker.

~Jeff

The 2010+ engine is same displacement, but instead of single VVT-i it is dual. On the 2010+ they moved the oil filter to the bottom of the engine and it is paper cartridge instead of canister on top (which was super convenient on the older models). So most of the changes had to do with the fuel/air mix optimization. The updated engine got a slight bump in HP, but lost a few points in torque in the name of MPG savings.

Also, A-Trac and Rear locker can work in concert on the newer models. The initial offering would only let you use one or the other when in 4Lo or LL (AT vs MT).

I think there were also more available TRD parts including wheel choices, exhausts, suspension upgrades on TTSE models, rear intuitive parking assist, not sure if this was new in 2010 but I have a brochure for 2010 and 2012 FJ and they mention this as new, daylight running lights, Satellite radio and its antennae.
Not sure when back up camera into electrochroamatic rearview mirror came in but that is my favorite part of "convenience package".
The body had changes in both sway bar diameter and mount locations, got larger in 2010. Different water repellent seat fabrics were added.
Air intake passage was changed in 2012 to make the intake quieter,ie went to a bellows design. Change of spark plugs to Iridiums.Big other change that has been mentioned was the switch to synthetic oil with 10K changes and switch to cartridge filter on bottom of engine. Probably more that we dont know.

Did they ever change engine displacement in the later years, my daughter wants one and I have to find one by the end of the year.

Helpful stuff, thanx. It pretty much confirms my thought that going with the 2010 or newer is the way to go. Disappointing because I really like the 2008 TTE, white/black trim, oh well. The 2011 TTE is my #1 choice.

Yeah, that 2008 TTE (Stormtrooper) was my favorite too. I wouldn't let a few MPGs or HPs dictate which engine to choose. Once you bolt a few steel bumpers and sliders to it, you will never feel those HPs or the extra MPGs. If I had to replace mine, I would prefer the older version because of the oil filter alone - just my two cents.

Did they ever change engine displacement in the later years, my daughter wants one and I have to find one by the end of the year.

no only engine option was the 4.0 1gr-fe, while there are some differences as mentioned above it is still the same block and displacement.

the new 3.5 2gr-fsk that's in the taco was not out at the same time as the cruiser and for my money I would go with a 1gr-fe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom