Mechanic work in Birmingham on a 92? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I am checking around to see if there is anyone who may be interested in making a few bucks with doing a birfield job and possibly some other stuff.

I previously owned an 88 cruiser about 15 years ago and sold it before I ever had a need to get my hands dirty. Now that I have a new to me 92 that is 17 years old it is time to get some work done that the PO didn't. Since I haven't changed my oil since I was 18, I figure I could start revving up the learning process with someone who knows these trucks.

Just putting some feelers out there, I have gotten quotes from the dealership and some independents and I just about threw up on myself. :crybaby: PM me if interested, thanks!

92 3FE (133K miles)

The birf job really is a rite of passage for 80 owners, you should really give it a shot. It isn't hard at all, just very messy and very time consuming the first time. Plus the parts are relatively cheap as long as you have all the special tools.(you can borrow mine if you need to.) Eric and I will be having a wrench day/night soon, if you want to come by and help/observe you can probably build up your confidence enough to feel better about it. Plus you have a good local network of people available so if you get stuck you can always call for help.

The birf job really is a rite of passage for 80 owners, you should really give it a shot. It isn't hard at all, just very messy and very time consuming the first time. Plus the parts are relatively cheap as long as you have all the special tools.(you can borrow mine if you need to.) Eric and I will be having a wrench day/night soon, if you want to come by and help/observe you can probably build up your confidence enough to feel better about it. Plus you have a good local network of people available so if you get stuck you can always call for help.

....x2.

Let's do it.

Let me know when you guys are doing the OME job, that is something I am interested in as well.

Is there anything besides calling cdan and ordering a BIRF kit that I should know about? Since all of the rotors and pads are coming off the front anyway, I figured I could go ahead and replace them as well since I have around 10% remaining on the pads. Am I missing anything here that I should go ahead and order as well since everything will be off?

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys. I will provide the beer.

Until you can get it done you might want to pump a little bit of grease into the square plug on top of the knuckle and change your front diff oil. Are your knuckles leaking, clicking, or are you just doing the job for pm? I ordered my kit from cruiser outfitters, it was a little less expensive and good quality. If they had been available at the time I would have ordered some of the marlin seals from slee. You might want to do the landtank front end evaluation to see if your tie rod ends need replacing at the same time. Wheel bearings can supposedly be found at autozone so you can wait to see if you need them when you take them out. Set aside an entire weekend. It is slow the first time mainly because of all the cleaning and cleaning and cleaning.....

I have a shop with air and assorted tools I could offer, never done this job myselft however. I do have a great on-site full time mechanic that could come in on the weekends and help out, he has pretty much worked on everything under the sun. My shop is open every Saturday and access on Sunday too, late nights. Let me know.

I'd be interested in learning more than I already know (which isn't much) and also helping out with what I do know. If anyone is getting together, send me a pm.

I have a shop with air and assorted tools I could offer, never done this job myselft however. I do have a great on-site full time mechanic that could come in on the weekends and help out, he has pretty much worked on everything under the sun. My shop is open every Saturday and access on Sunday too, late nights. Let me know.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this guy. I've got a possible head gasket issue on a '97.

I'd also be glad to help out sometime on a birf job or something similar, schedule permitting.

Besides the kit below from cruiser outfitters as well as some wiper seals and bearings, is there anything else I may need to order? The LC is not my DD, but I don't want to get it into a million pieces and find out that I need to order another part and have to wait a while for it to get here....

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]
Knuckle Rebuild Kits - FJ80
- Sale Price $115.00[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Toyota solid front axle knuckle rebuild kits, one required per axle. Includes seals, gaskets, shims and Koyo trunnion/knuckle bearings.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1](Fits 90'-97' FJ/FZJ80 & LX450)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Part# FA9097

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I also just heard of a guy who has a shop in West Birmingham (not a bad part) and he opened it after leaving T.W. Lexus. I will try to get some more info. He is an ex-son-in-law (too many - - - s) of a boss at work and this boss was telling me about it, so he must not be a "turd", if a ex-father-in-law is still sharing info about you.

Besides the kit below from cruiser outfitters as well as some wiper seals and bearings, is there anything else I may need to order? [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

If I was going to do it again I would go with these:

HD Inner Axle Seal, FJ80 | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

slee has them too for the same price. If you don't want to spend the extra on those ask for a couple of extra inner axle seals with the axle kit. I went through four of them trying to get them in straight. I think the kit should have everything else except for wheel bearings, but I would guess you probably don't need them. Check the TRE's before you order too, that way you can save on shipping if you need them.

I also just heard of a guy who has a shop in West Birmingham (not a bad part) and he opened it after leaving T.W. Lexus. I will try to get some more info. He is an ex-son-in-law (too many - - - s) of a boss at work and this boss was telling me about it, so he must not be a "turd", if a ex-father-in-law is still sharing info about you.

If you find out more, let me know.

I appreciate it. Thanks.

I have a carlot in Tarrant City on highway 79 right across from the big ABC Factory. I usually have plenty of room in the shop to work on stuff since my diesel conversion is done. My onsite mechanic works on one or two at a time. We have jacks, stands, tools, air, parts, etc.. on site. I get most parts from the wharehouses at a 10-20% discount and tax free. If anyone wants to drop and go, I will not mark up the repair, whatever the mechanic charges is all you pay. If some guys want to get together one night/weekend and wrench and kill a few cold beers just give me a shout.

I have a carlot in Tarrant City on highway 79 right across from the big ABC Factory. I usually have plenty of room in the shop to work on stuff since my diesel conversion is done. My onsite mechanic works on one or two at a time. We have jacks, stands, tools, air, parts, etc.. on site. I get most parts from the wharehouses at a 10-20% discount and tax free. If anyone wants to drop and go, I will not mark up the repair, whatever the mechanic charges is all you pay. If some guys want to get together one night/weekend and wrench and kill a few cold beers just give me a shout.

That's an awesome offer. Right now my problem is that I have a very tight schedule and this truck is my daily driver. I'd love to get together and just help other people wrench on their rigs at some point, though.

Found the mechanic mentioned earlier...

bhmmapping mentioned a guy (Joey) that was on the verge of opening his own shop. After some digging, I came across his info and gave him a call.

Was a really nice guy, a master / expert certified tech for Toyota and Lexus. I think he even does hybrids too. Know his stuff.

You can contact him here: offroadr1@excite.com

I think he's going to do my BIRF job. I will post later on how it turns out. Much thanks to bhammapping for pointing me to cruiseroutfitters and the marlin seals. I will be ordering the kit soon and let you know how it turns out.

if you don't mind sharing, how much did he quote you for the front axle? If I ever get a newer truck I am sure I will have to do it again, and I'm not sure I want to devote another weekend to the job if he is reasonable.

bhmmapping mentioned a guy (Joey) that was on the verge of opening his own shop. After some digging, I came across his info and gave him a call.

Was a really nice guy, a master / expert certified tech for Toyota and Lexus. I think he even does hybrids too. Know his stuff.

You can contact him here: offroadr1@excite.com

I think he's going to do my BIRF job. I will post later on how it turns out. Much thanks to bhammapping for pointing me to cruiseroutfitters and the marlin seals. I will be ordering the kit soon and let you know how it turns out.

Do post up results. I know that I have personally received dozens of inquiries about a good mechanic here in Birmingham. If he does good work, I'd love to know about it. I need some work done that is well over my ability level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom