Mechanic says cylinder 3 very low Compression (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been dealing with a misfire in cylinder 3, which the mechanic says it has very low compression but didn't give me the numbers,
but I checked compression before the shop did, and all cylinders show 180psi this was before and after I had the head off for a valve job. The misfire was present before the valve job, when I put everything back together still same misfire, I have checked and tested just about everything Im leaning towards EGR stuck open? because with vacuum applied the engine does NOT STUMBLE or stall but would that effect only one cylinder?

1997 LX450 332,000 MILES

So I have been dealing with a misfire in cylinder 3, which the mechanic says it has very low compression but didn't give me the numbers,
but I checked compression before the shop did, and all cylinders show 180psi this was before and after I had the head off for a valve job. The misfire was present before the valve job, when I put everything back together still same misfire, I have checked and tested just about everything Im leaning towards EGR stuck open? because with vacuum applied the engine does NOT STUMBLE or stall but would that effect only one cylinder?

1997 LX450 332,000 MILES

First thing to do would be to do your OWN compression test and record results.

I have similar numbers on all six cylinders (engine at 326K miles).

Compression 316K.jpg

First thing to do would be to do your OWN compression test and record results.

I have similar numbers on all six cylinders (engine at 326K miles).

View attachment 2765416
Sounds like he did "I checked compression before the shop did, and all cylinders show 180psi this was before and after I had the head off for a valve job"

Sounds like he did "I checked compression before the shop did, and all cylinders show 180psi this was before and after I had the head off for a valve job"

I read it to mean he checked compression before and after head work....then subsequently took it to a mechanic and mechanic says low compression on cyl. 3

Perhaps OP can clarify.

So.....the 'mechanic' was wrong about low compression on cyl 3?
Yes very wrong, and he told me not to put anymore money in my engine and to get a used one, yeah ok NOT.
I should have went with my gut and replaced the injector when this started but they all checked out, that is what threw me off
all new OEM injectors has it running smooth at 332,000 miles.

Yes very wrong, and he told me not to put anymore money in my engine and to get a used one, yeah ok NOT.
I should have went with my gut and replaced the injector when this started but they all checked out, that is what threw me off
all new OEM injectors has it running smooth at 332,000 miles.
Sheesh… just goes to show you that, regardless of profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones. I can hear the conversation now “buddy, you need to replace this engine. We had a guy in here yesterday with a Ford Tempo and with the exact same problem…..”

Sheesh… just goes to show you that, regardless of profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones. I can hear the conversation now “buddy, you need to replace this engine. We had a guy in here yesterday with a Ford Tempo and with the exact same problem…..”
I trust very few mechanics after all the s*** work I have seen over the years. I have meet a few good ones but also seen and tried to be BS’d too by many.

Funny thing is quite a few bad ones were “factory trained technicians” at Toyota 🤦‍♂️

I do 99% of all mechanical work on my machines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom