Mechanic Says Blown Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get: 1) new mechanic; the one suggested is probably much better and 2) a new oil cap.

Enjoy your family Christmas!

Check in over on the Copper State Cruisers forum here in Mud. A solid bunch over there. Most of them will reiterate the previous recommendation of Camelback Toyota. Not your average dealer. Eric Murphy is a svc manager at Camelback, a Cruiserhead, and will steer you in the right direction for a fair price.

Otherwise, lots of great suggestions in this thread!

What are the day/night ambient temps where you live?

I don't think anyone has addressed the transmission shifting issue. The normal operation of the transmission is not shift into overdrive until the engine comes up to operating temp in order to promote faster warmup and lower exhaust emissions. Other gears are not impacted.

Old oil will smell. Change it and run for 500 miles and see if you have the same and as strong of a smell.

Temps are 51 night 61 day.

This all makes sense as since the smell started I was thinking there was something wrong so then I started to not drive it very far. So, when I do drive it any longer distance all the excess oil burns off, I get reaffirmed there is something wrong due to the smell. I keep a hawk eye on the gauges and such when I do drive it and it seems to do ok. So...... conclusion.... possibly over the week of short drives the cats get clogged. It would make perfect sense that I could have messed up the cats as I do short drives no more than 15min trips.

This is super helpful! Thank you for this.

At least one of those are out of biz, have fixed results from another... If you made your way to Mesa, would be happy to give it a scratch and sniff, but that would be a long hike. @murf is much closer to you and will treat you right.

I don't think your causing any issue with the cats. Short trips can just cause a buildup water vapor in the entire exhaust system.

Good to see you watch the gauges like a hawk, most people don't do that. :bounce:

Some great advice here in this thread. Feeling optimistic for ya!! My vote is with the compression and leak down tests. Should find out more factual information from that. Best of luck and happy holidays!

too bad the temp gauge doesn't move until you're already overheating :/

If you can, would you mind posting a video of your vehicle idling?

Start the vehicle, then begin video on driver side fender, walk around to the front and then down the passenger side fender. That way we can hear all the noises.

If the head gasket was done at 100k, that would move it down the list of issues. Those records show a lot of servicing and care went into this rig. nice find.

Can always use obd2 bluetooth and a good app to keep a better eye on temps!!!

Agree, the ob2 adapter and torque app is like 15 bucks. I also like how you can monitor ign timing and everything else.

Sounds like you have all the help you need. Now you just have to weed through everyone's "suggestions" about rebuilding your truck from the ground up and ls swaps... I'd just listen to Tools r us.

I don't think anyone has addressed the transmission shifting issue. The normal operation of the transmission is not shift into overdrive until the engine comes up to operating temp in order to promote faster warmup and lower exhaust emissions.

^^^^^ Actually not even full operating temperature but 130° F. (coolant temp). Many folks do not know that about the transmission and wrongly think something is amiss with the trans.

I’m up that way (Glendale/Peoria) about once a week. I could make time to swing by and see the truck to give it a look...

As Tools said, he or Murf would be good choices to look it over in more of a shop setting

^^^^^ Actually not even full operating temperature but 130° F. (coolant temp). Many folks do not know that about the transmission and wrongly think something is amiss with the trans.

Just to expand on this - It is very common across multiple models of Toyota. My Camry does this too, but I have never noticed my Sienna doing it.

If you can, would you mind posting a video of your vehicle idling?

Start the vehicle, then begin video on driver side fender, walk around to the front and then down the passenger side fender. That way we can hear all the noises.

If the head gasket was done at 100k, that would move it down the list of issues. Those records show a lot of servicing and care went into this rig. nice find.
Unable to do a video.

given the distance and gas mileage, you might consider renting a vehicle for your trip. It would be more dependable, less worry and the cost of gas may offset the rental cost.

Your belts need tightened slightly.

You MAY have a slight exhaust leak at the wye pipe where it comes together in the right front fender well.

Otherwise the engine sounds great! Just like mine that I DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom