Mechanic Says Blown Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for the comparison. Sounds the same as mine. I'm leaning towards the possibility of it not being the motor..., and possibly the evaporate canister. It would make more sense than an HG since that was done 100,000 miles ago. The gas cap hisses when I open it.
If your not already aware, there’s a great EVAP canister mod possibility for you. A lot of us had great success with the following:
Charcoal Canister - Great Option!

I have to agree! This has been the best experience in a forum. All of the kindness and support and great information has been stellar. I have been blown away how helpful this has been.
Cheers to a Happy Holiday

Enjoy your drive to El Dorado!!! It's going to be beautiful there!

... The gas cap hisses when I open it.

That is normal, within reason how it's designed to work, that is why the cap is pressure tested as part of the emission test.

The Rubicon resides there. It's really snowy there now and a beautiful place to play.
I was up there last weekend and unless a couple feet of snow melted you wouldn’t even make it to Wentworth Springs. The road is plowed to loon lake. A visit to uncle tom’s cabin will be doable unless a storm passes through, in which case, a stock 80 may not be enough to make it there. Rapidly changing conditions makes mountain travel very interesting.

I drove my Cruiser 508 miles over 8 hours when I bought it and I had been sitting for almost 2 years without being driven. The coolant looked like this (see below) ... after I actually put coolant in it. A combo of what looked like BARS stop leak and mud. It made the trip just fine. These engines are hard to kill. If it sounds like a tractor once it's warmed up, then it's all good.

All my trucks smoke on startup. One is burning almost a quart of oil per tank of fuel. I still wouldn't hesitate to drive any of them cross country on a moments notice. I would suggest purchasing a SanGuageII from AutoZone or wherever, I run one in all my trucks to monitor coolant temp and voltage especially. You will see where the truck runs normally temp wise and then be able to notice if temps spike and you can prevent a problem from becoming a catastrophe.

View attachment 1848048 View attachment 1848050 View attachment 1848051 View attachment 1848052
Dude! That stuff will kill the weeds in your driveway.

I was up there last weekend and unless a couple feet of snow melted you wouldn’t even make it to Wentworth Springs. The road is plowed to loon lake. A visit to uncle tom’s cabin will be doable unless a storm passes through, in which case, a stock 80 may not be enough to make it there. Rapidly changing conditions makes mountain travel very interesting.
Yes thank you very much. I figured I could make it to loon lake and uncle toms cabin. I would take it easy. No extremes for me. I really enjoy the spot and the kids and my mom and brothers enjoy a snow day as well. Hopefully all goes smoothly today. Thank you for the update on the conditions.

The latest from @MURPH, motor is not bad, head gasket is a ok, and safe travels home for Christmas. Going to take more detective work to find out why it's running rich, no heart attack, just the normal hiccup in the giddy up.

Woo Hoo!!! I will keep posted on what I find when the issue is resolved. Thank you to all for the wonderful information and the Camaraderie.

To you and yours a very happy holiday

The latest from @MURPH, motor is not bad, head gasket is a ok, and safe travels home for Christmas. Going to take more detective work to find out why it's running rich, no heart attack, just the normal hiccup in the giddy up.

Woo Hoo!!! I will keep posted on what I find when the issue is resolved. Thank you to all for the wonderful information and the Camaraderie.

To you and yours a very happy holiday

Have a great trip!

That is normal, within reason how it's designed to work, that is why the cap is pressure tested as part of the emission test.

Actually, as I understand it, perfectly functioning gas caps for all modern vehicles should allow a constant range of pressure in the tank: that is the cap should regulate both positive and negative changes in pressure outside a certain range. Which means a gas cap should breath both ways.

That is new knowledge for me at least. And may explain SOME positive tank pressure (if your gas cap is not working as intended).

Lesson: get a new gas cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom