Mechanic for front disc conversion near Berkeley, CA--asking for a friend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mbb

SILVER Star
Threads
A friend of mine I know through our work in Berkeley, CA asked me if I know a mechanic that can do a front disc conversion on his FJ40. I mentioned Mudrak (in Sonoma) and Valley Hybrids (in Stockton) but he was concerned with logistics of dropping his vehicle off. Anyone have good experience with a mechanic more local to Berkeley? Thanks in advance!

Gary of Mudrak is backed up so plan ahead. I would assume Georg (@orangefj45) is also pretty busy too. Both shops/owners are at the top of the recommend list. The drive to Mudrak is not a bad drive from Berzerkely but either way call a tow (AAA) if your friend has it. I spoke to a guy in Concord but he was a little fly by the night business; my son and I didn't get a good vibe from him after traveling from San Ramon last year and walked out of his shop.

It's a specialized conversion. You don't want just any mechanic.
Try calling OK Tire in St Helena, ask for Doug. I think this is his shop and he does a lot of FJ40 work and restoration.

I figured it out blindly back in '93 when I was 20... and that brake job lasted 20 years and almost 100k miles. Any competent mechanic should be able to do it with the information now available on mud. Good luck finding one though... they're all part replacement technicians these days.

I'd recommend doing the conversion using Toyota vented rotors and 4 piston calipers.

Either one of the two shops you mentioned would be my first choice if i could schedule a spot in this lifetime.
You did not mention what year 40, that might make a difference. Ball and claw axle? Single circuit brakes? If not, your friend could do it at home. Best bet, IMHO, would be to cater a brunch at friends driveway and invite every LandCruiser club member in the Bay Area over for a tech session.
I think that what your friend really needs is a 'Mud account.

We’ll be happy to help!

FWIW, AAA roadside service costs about $100/year and they’ll tow your vehicle up to 100 miles at no charge. Worth every penny.

We have everything needed for the conversion in stock, no matter what year the FJ40 is.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom