Mech advance springs in the dizzy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60wag

SILVER Star
Threads
I had my distributor apart to check some things. Its an 84FJ60. When I got down to the mechanical advance weights and springs, I noticed that the two springs are different. The one picture in the book sort of confirms that it supposed to be that way. One has a much large hook on the end than the other. Its made of thicker wire and is slightly longer such that it only becomes stretched after the other spring is about 2/3 extended. Is it supposed to be that way? It definitely makes the last third of travel stiffer than the first 2/3.

The one other thing I found that I think was out of spec was the air gap for the pickup was a lot bigger than 0.016". I set it to the middle of the spec at 0.012". What will that do to the ignition performance? Would it reduce the advance at all? I've been trying to chase down a subltle knock (detonation) that has eluded me. TIA

Bruce

Bruce,

FWIW, Oil in the cylinders will cause pinging too. I switched from synthetic to mineral base oil in my truck. Better now.

Cheers,
Cahil

Edit: Just remembered I had a spare dizzy lying around, removed the cap, same thing, way different springs on diameter and size hooks. HTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom