Mean, lean and Seafoam green. 1971 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. This will end up being my journal on my 1971 FJ40. I’m sure I will have a ton of questions. This FJ40 came to me with a 305 sbc and a th350. It’s equipped with the stock tcase with an adapter.
Money is a bit tight right now, due to Covid19 woes, so I am going to do less expensive things right now so the posts may seem a bit boring but they will get better.
Today I sanded down the bed liner on the headlight bezel. I should also mention, I’m not doing a restoration. I am going to make it mechanically sound with a focus on off roading mainly. I put the rusty bolts in Apple cider vinegar for a few days, they look really good with a light wire brushing.

491448DF-EDC9-4FF3-89DB-F0A47A2C5695.jpeg

5EDD8CB7-BA16-45F9-BA71-1510A493EC2A.jpeg

8FA7AFA3-80CB-47B5-BBD5-D4BBB60B9DE5.jpeg

7FF0D21F-09A0-4497-B91C-1ACECB7E3B18.jpeg

I sanded the front grill with 600 wet to get rid of the chunky rust and smooth it out. I then used an acrylic matte clear to coat everything.

If that steering tie rod tube is actually connected to a Pitman arm on the gear box, then either (a) the gear box is too far forward, or (b) the Pitman arm is way too short. The closer to parallel the tie rod is to the relay rod (behind it) the better the steering. Your Pitman arm should be close to 7" long.

If that steering tie rod tube is actually connected to a Pitman arm on the gear box, then either (a) the gear box is too far forward, or (b) the Pitman arm is way too short. The closer to parallel the tie rod is to the relay rod (behind it) the better the steering. Your Pitman arm should be close to 7" long.
It's way off. The drag link is way too long. The pitman arm also hangs too low, it will interfere with the leaf springs. I haven't got there yet but I will be buying the heim joint steering kit from Barnes4x4. Also, there isn't a lot of space between the steering arms off the knuckles and the wheel. Might not be an issue but I won't know until I drive it.

My goal isn’t to restore my FJ40, I’m looking for a fun capable 4x4. I may restore it in my 50s when I hopefully have a few more $s. The previous owner tried painting over the original fashion green with some awful metallic blue. I LOVE the fashion green.
I sanded the right front fender and right quarter panel. I am very impressed with the paint mixed up at my local Lordco and put in a spray can. I will be sanding down the new paint with some 600/1500 wet to match the old worn original paint.

0F8D66D0-9AB1-4353-A93A-A8DCC2F81B68.jpeg

C48325C6-581B-449B-8133-B45DD63A69B6.jpeg

My goal isn’t to restore my FJ40, I’m looking for a fun capable 4x4. I may restore it in my 50s when I hopefully have a few more $s. The previous owner tried painting over the original fashion green with some awful metallic blue. I LOVE the fashion green.
I sanded the right front fender and right quarter panel. I am very impressed with the paint mixed up at my local Lordco and put in a spray can. I will be sanding down the new paint with some 600/1500 wet to match the old worn original paint.

View attachment 2299946

View attachment 2299947
I love that green and the patina is beautiful. I'd clear coat it and keep it. the fenders turned out great 🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom