Me and the 80 have joined a storm chasing team this year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few shots from Topeka.
Imported Photos 00009.jpg
Imported Photos 00000.jpg
Imported Photos 00005.jpg

A few more of TIV2 from Topeka
Imported Photos 00008.jpg
Imported Photos 00010.jpg
Imported Photos 00011.jpg

From the side of the road outside of Taylor, Nebraska. On the ground is the IMAX film crew. Discovery Channel is also riding along.
Imported Photos 00014.jpg
Imported Photos 00015.jpg
Imported Photos 00013.jpg

A few shots of TIV2 from Grand Island, NE.
Imported Photos 00025.jpg
Imported Photos 00026.jpg
Imported Photos 00028.jpg

A few more of TIV2. The last one is getting the IMAX camera ready for non-chasing road video on the down day.
Imported Photos 00030.jpg
Imported Photos 00031.jpg
Imported Photos 00032.jpg

A few more from Grand Island.
Imported Photos 00016.jpg
Imported Photos 00018.jpg
Imported Photos 00029.jpg

I'll try and keep pics and maintenance issues updated.

Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated :)

Wow, does that TIV2 come with a full time electrician?!? Holy moly there is a lot wires in that thing.

It took me 7 months to get my 80 Built exactly the way I wanted it ... actually, it is still not done but I am optimistic it will be by the middle of June. So I am curious ... Did you make your deadline on this?

Hey all. I'm under obligation to Dr. Joshua Wurman (Home - Center for Severe Weather Research (cswr.org)) for this year's season.

If you don't know, he's the guy riding in back of the Doppler on Wheels (DOW) on "Storm Chasers." I will be in the 80, and the project is covering all my fuel costs. Otherwise, it's all voluntary, and out of my pocket. I'll be hauling gear, and acting as convoy relay, with the main justification being medical support. I'm a newly retired firefighter/paramedic.

It is not certain if the 80 will be on film, but chances are good. This might sound stupid, but my rig is mostly stock, except for 285s. I've been wanting to build it up, but could never justify the funds. If I'm going to do it, now's probably the time. I'm thniking national exposure of a built up 80 certainly won't hurt their value.

I'm considering a lift, rack, winch bumper, and tire bumper. If you have any of this for sale at a really reasonable cost, IM me.

I have to be on the road by May 28.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I occasionally check the Vortex2 blog on Weather Underground, it's a pretty cool effort. Of course it's never good when they show up in your town, as they were a few weeks ago.

Cool pics and narly gear!

But no pics of the 80? All I saw was a couple of corners!

Last edited:
Welcome to Nebraska!

I love the pics! Thank you!

With the cross winds you will likely experience, I would stay away from any type of lift. I'd do a custome mesh protection for the front glass, ARB, and a nice off road light setup. A SC wouldn't be a bad Idea either.

I am with Cdan on this one.

Post some action shots of the Land Cruiser when you get a chance. Good Luck!!!!!!

Hey Dorothy, good luck out there! I'd be reluctant to put a dime of my money into "performance" mods - just make sure it starts and runs. I think it's a slim chance that any mod would make a difference, really. I'd be thinking about things like keeping my full face helmet nearby, and maybe a 5-point harness and window nets in case that thing takes you for a ride...

This is from national geographic this month:

Visions of Earth 2009 - Photo Gallery - National Geographic Magazine
NGS-Tornado.jpg

t

Here's the photos of the 80. The first is from the parking lot of a Wal-Mart, and I can't remember where at. We were on our way somewhere, and stopped to make some food. The Yukon between the 80 and TIV2 is Discovery Channel. The maroon Tundra is the IMAX crew. The others were from yesterday's chase, in middle Kansas. The H3T is on loan from GM.
Imported Photos 00050.jpg
Imported Photos 00052.jpg
Imported Photos 00053.jpg

The first pic is of Sean, the TIV creator, getting ready to catch a football during a lunch break somewhere in Nebraska. The next is the obligatory "I was there" shot, and the last is of a cool storm in the background.

The 80 has put on nearly 3000 miles in 5 days, and hasn't used any oil yet. Not one single hiccup. Other than the constantly out of balance 285 BFGs, and the warped rotars, it has performed flawlessly.
Imported Photos 00038.jpg
Imported Photos 00049.jpg
Imported Photos 00057.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom