McNamara gear- how difficult can it be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so after having my A440 pulled & shipped to Seattle for a rebuild they shipped it back in pieces when they found out about the infamous shaft issue which left me financially bonded to a used unit from CruiserParts.net which arrived as promised mostly complete but it also had the clunk. Of course I purchased the warranty but paying the shop again to R&R a replacement from Cruiser parts in hopes it doesn't have the same problem just doesn't make sense especially since they are on the other side of the world from me.
Everyone on this side seems to be deathly afraid of these trannies so just how difficult and expensive can it be to install this McNamara gear? I have ordered the seal & gasket kit but I am not a gear guy and am disabled so doing it myself is out of the question. My last resort performance shop guy agreed at first to do the install and threw me a reasonable quote but relinquished the offer once he saw a 9hr shop rate for transfer case removal.
I had a h55 conversion lined up prior to my last operation but unfortunately since having it my clutch leg won't agree with a manual transmission.
I thought I was golden with a one year warranty on the CruiserParts 440 but now I feel trapped either way.
Pretty sure I'm not the only one in this predicament so please come forth all ye gear heads & help an Idaho Redneck out with all the advice you give out so regularly whether asked for or not! lol..... Darren

the long gear just replaces the input gear on the transfer case. it doubles the length of the original splines.
fairly simple operation. the transfer case is disassembled and instead of using the original gear and pto gear?, you install the new longer gear and reassemble the transfer case

9 hours seems long to do the actual work, especially if you aren't rebuilding the transfer case, as I assume it was just done and has new bearings in it. so you should just need a new input shaft seal and the main gasket between the 2 halves of the transfer case.

cruiser brothers sells the gear.

It’s a tiny bit easier than rebuilding the oem tcase ... that is to say, not hard.

Yeah, Cruiser Brothers, for anything gear...

They also have the long sleeved input gears

McNamara install is very easy. Rear driveshaft comes off, pull back half of tcase off, replace 2 gears with 1 McNamara, and reinstall. You never have to open or touch the transmission.

I made my own Mcnamara gear since I had a spare tcase in pieces. I borrowed Gerog's jig. See post #46 in this thread:

Last edited:
Awesome! You guys rock for sure!!! I will pass this forward & am really pumped for this build. I even saw a speckle of something orange in the sky this morning, I think it might be sun. Thanks

During the long spline gear replacement, Iis it worth it to take the front case off and replace the bearing on the tranny output shaft? low hanging fruit at that point? trying to get all humming under load out of my tcase.

Long hanging fruit, yes. If you are cracking it open and its never been rebuilt, you might as well rebuild just because it will be open. The only 'difficult' part is rebuilding the mainshaft cluster. It needs to be pressed apart to replace the bearings, other than that, its a pretty simple r+r.

What does replacing with the MacNamara gear do for the tranny? Make it less problematic?

What does replacing with the MacNamara gear do for the tranny? Make it less problematic?

the original input gear in the transfer uses on 1 1/2"-2" of transmission output shaft splines, they wear,
the MacNamara gear is 2 to 3 times longer and uses all the transmission output shaft splines. it replaces the input gear, a spacer and the PTO gear

so after the rebuild on the transmission and tcase with the long gear installed something went wrong in the tcase and it started grinding. It is being repaired under warranty and the case went to Georg to do the mods for the 4.1 gear reduction. I'm pretty sure the long gear put in 1,000 miles ago will be taken out of the equation so not sure what I am going to do with it at this point. The front output bearing in the tcase was the culprit.

the original input gear in the transfer uses on 1 1/2"-2" of transmission output shaft splines, they wear,
the MacNamara gear is 2 to 3 times longer and uses all the transmission output shaft splines. it replaces the input gear, a spacer and the PTO gear
Front output bearing, hence going to the front driveshaft?

The long gear won't work for the 4.1 gear reduction? Always wondered the benefits of re-gearing in T-Case vs. in the Diffs. $?

In my situation I'm doing both. The 4:88s in my diffs when locked on both ends the 3FE still putters out when climbing in low range 1st gear it still wont cut it and I'm not the type that doesn't mind backing down a widow maker climb. I like those rpms and gears screaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom