1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maytag, Toyota of washing machines?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by RavenTai, Jul 10, 2005.

1. RavenTai

RavenTai

boring thread of the day but might be useful.

I have a hand me down stack washer/dryer from my mom that she bought new in 1987, Been in my hands since I got out of college 8 years ago.

A few days ago it made a nasty squeal on the spin cycle and emitted a burning rubber smell, I thought it had finally bit the dust after 18 years.

Got around to looking into it today found a mangled sock stuck between the inner and outer baskets. Got it out and works like new, even the 18 year old belt that had been smoked looked OK.

This is my 3rd “repair” of it, first was a small relay shortly after I got it, and second was a broken drive belt on the dryer a few years ago. The belt was annoying because it required quite a bit of disassembly.

Good stuff, who knows how long this thing can run with normal maintenance? Puts up with greasy uniforms and still gets them clean.

I was kind of looking foreword to getting that fancy Neptune set, but dam its expensive, :eek: put that off as long as possible.

2. Rich

Rich

I've heard that the Neptune is not reliable. Keep what you have running.

3. RavenTai

RavenTai

really? good to know.

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

Absolutely. There is no reason to over-complicate a washing mashine like many of the manuf. do now. More bells & whistles = more problems. I went thru a GE washer in 5 yrs. and then bought my neighbors 20-yr. old Maytag about a year ago. Just like everything else, they don't make 'em like they used to. Only one problem since then, the tub wouldn't drain once. A quick (& easy) disassemble and I found one of my son's socks creeped out of the top of the spin tub and into the big tub and clogged the drain hose. Easy fix. Repairclinic.com is a great site to get parts & do-it-yourself. Had to do a few of those with the GE washer I had for 5 yrs., before it rusted out. No rust anywhere on the Maytag, though.

5. lone gunman

lone gunman

i heard maytag was moving there manufacturing to mexico to save money and recently heard they were bought out by a chinese firm, so keep what you got as long as you can because the quality is probably not going to be there in a new one.

6. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

Seriously, guys. :rolleyes:

Maytags reputation for reliablility came soley from its advertising department. One of my Dad's many hats is appliance repairman and he always comments about how cheaply made Maytags are.

Now if you want to talk quality, somebody find out who the ad firm was who came up with that campaign. :cool:

7. dealmaker

dealmaker

Solely? Get real. Now you think I gonna believe a psot by someone who has nothing better to do on a Saturday night than post about washing machines....er...uh..wait a minute...

8. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

I've been trying to expand my vocabulary, the beer seems to be helping.

9. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Maytag built their reputation for reliability based on the simplicity of their machines. They had fewer parts to break...therefore...fewer parts broke :)

My folks had a Maytag washer and dryer. I think they replaced the belts on them (1 each) in the 20 years they owned them.

10. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Too funny. My washer and dryer are Sears' Kenmore brand after watching my folks' Kenmores last over 30 years with 6 kids, and they needed only a switch or belt at around the 20 year mark. When they gave them away they still worked fine. What's funny is that mine are "80 Series" models - proudly labeled right on the controls. So I guess I actually have four 80s! Hmm, two are not locked though...

DougM

11. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

My parents have both the 1st Generation and 2nd generation Neptunes. The 1st gen broke down at least once in the first year. The second has been trouble free so far.

Neptune Problems:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/main...UID=1120984273512&top_report_folder_id=538309

My friend and I both bought a Frigidaire Front Loader at the same time. Both have been trouble-free for about 7 years now. Another friend just picked up a new LG front loader and really likes it.

12. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

Those Kenmore models you have are build by whirlpool. In fact the design on most of the models is as simple today as it was in the 1970s and up. Many parts interchangeable. I sold parts for those things at sears for over 5 years. I would recommend them as they are so simply designed. There are just 1 or 2 particular parts to looks for.

I can tell you, My dad owns a 20 year old maytag set. Have never had a problem with anything other than the belts on the dryer about 10 yrs ago and about 2 yrs ago. Finally the timer went out. Washer runs perfect.

The Maytag sure was a hell of alot harder to open up and repair even though in theory the design is the same (washer = pump, motor, trans, fill valve, timer and dryer = element, thermostats, motor, belt, timer). Everything was in a weird place on the units. Still easy enough though.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    Kenmore is the Land Cruiser of washing machines.........or at least they have the same series, 70, 80, 90.......ect :D

14. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    We're leaving our Whirpool washer/dryer (we bought 8 years ago) for the people that bought our house. Last weekend we stayed at my parents house and they have a new set of GE. The washer is front loading with the old school round glass. They are SO quiet!! I was very impressed, and had wanted to get the same. Now I see this thread and learn that Maytag is Cruiser worthy. I think I'm gonna look at some Maytag products!! We're also gonna need a new fridge. :)

15. patride71

patride71

kewl...so that means i own 3 LCs now...what, with the kenmore washer and dryer i have. :D

16. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Maytag is the LC of Cruisers if Toyota is closing plants and laying off workers.

17. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

In our experience, the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer that we've now owned for 4 years has been great. We bought them used from a friend that had owned them for a short period of time before moving and selling most of what she owned.

Got them for a steal though ($250 for both IIRC). It would be hard to justify the new price at about $2K.

Great capacity (just did all of the king sized comforters this weekend) and they are built better than any other machine I've owned.

18. Bryan E.

Bryan E.

We bought a new Maytag top loading washer about 6 years ago. Withing 6 mo's it stated leaking and was fixed under warranty. The top of the tub has a concrete balancer and it was cracked and caused the tub to run out of balance, eventually wearing a hole through some plastic top part of the tub. This happened three times total and they eventually got it to work right. The repairman said even this generation of Maytag's wasn't built as heavy duty as the older ones, but said the next gen newer ones were having a lot of problems. I think that was their new front loaders. I would love a front loader super duper load size, but want one that will be trouble free for many years. I want to save repair money for my Cruiser upgrades.

19. dealmaker

dealmaker

just like most other things these days...newer ain't necessarily better. In addition to myself, I know four other people that had GE top-loader washers that failed/disintegrated after 4-5 yrs. Granted, with two kids, it seems like our washer is always going.

20. PabloCruise

PabloCruise