1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe it's time.......

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MoGas, Feb 19, 2004.

1. MoGas

MoGas Central Scrutinizer

Media:
    Albums:
    I know this will probably start some big debate, but I am looking at getting a FZJ80 for my Wife. I guess the peer pressure is just too much to bear , thanks to BMT, HLTOPPR, SKEDDY, SWEETFJ62 and GMEAMTN.

I would like to get a 95-97. B was telling me that the trannys are more stout on the earlier models, and H's can't get out of it's own way going over Cedar hill because it doesn't have the more powerful engine and with that tent it has the aerodynamics of a cinderblock wall, but my questions are these;

1>>How many of you have suffered catastrophic failures to items on your cruisers that were not induced by heavy application of the skinny pedal on the right, or were otherwise preventable through preventative maintenance and regular upkeep?
    2>>What kinds of "little" problems are common with these vehicles?
    3>>What sort of mileage numbers do you get?
    4>>How many miles can these take before powerplant / drivetrain rebuilds?

I'm sure that more questions will arise as this thread progresses.

Thank You,
    Dave Anderson

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Hello Dave,

If fuel consumption is a concern, quit while you are ahead. :flipoff2:

Mid teens is doing Outstanding.

Take care of the powertrain and 300k miles is not out of the question.

The 80 is, without question, one of the most dependable and capable vehicles available. You must start your quest with well defined goals. After that we can advise if one is in your future.

D-

3. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, considering my Wagoneer is lucky to get 10 MPG downhill with a tailwind, and my other car has a 455 that I can't seem to keep my foot out of for long enough to actually calculate average mileage, I'm not too terribly concerned about that.

My main concerns are longevity, accident survivability (We have 3 kids), and average annual repair costs.

Would the average owner have to think twice about a cross county trek in a 250K+ mile FZJ80 that has had regular maintenance?

Thanks,
    Dave

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

Dave,

>> FZJ80 for my Wife <<

Give the wife the 442 and keep the Cruiser for yourself.

> B was telling me that the trannys are more stout on the earlier models, <<

Balony, I never said that. :) As everyone here knows, I'm a fan of the more technologically advanced A343 tranny. Seriously, the tranny choice is a non-issue. Both transmissions offered in the NA market for these rigs are rock solid and only require routine maintenance. You don't have to baby them.

Gas mileage sucks and only gets worse when you add several hundred pounds of armor, giant tyres, racks, lift, etc. If that's a criteria, check out the Corolla or that new hybrid thingie. Or a Subaru?

-B-

5. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    B as in BMT, Sorry to step on toes

6. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> accident survivability (We have 3 kids), <<

'95 and up have air bags.

-B-

7. Junk

Junk

If ya want it to last, drive it like me :D

Seriously, stick with 96 or 97 and you'll be good to go. The next step is to find a new crew to hang with. :D

8. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    What were the options over standard equipment on 95-97 80's?

9. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

lockers, lockers and lockers.

Every other option is standard on most trucks or nearly unobtainable. Although you would do well to stay away from the roof rack option. The dealer installed Manik crap is just that, but if it doesn't cost more, you can always take it off and make a lawn ornament out of it.

10. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    diff locks. and then there is the 97 Collectors Edition and 40th Aniversay, only diff over the normal fzj is auto climate controll and 2 tone seats. OEM alarm is also an option.

3rd seats and leather are "suppose" to be options but AFAIK almost all of the 95+ have these.

Some dealer(or port) installed options are, running boards, roof rack, sun roof deflector, rear deflector thingy, tow hitch and crap like that.

So for the most part...........diff locks is THE option.

[quote author=MoGas link=board=2;threadid=11808;start=msg108027#msg108027 date=1077324726]
    What were the options over standard equipment on 95-97 80's?

[/quote]

11. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome Dave,

As usual the late years 80 crowd are all over a newby talking trash. These woosies with their two tone moonglow paint jobs, collectors edition serial #'s and custom floor matts feel the need to put down earlier models to cover up for their feelings of tranny inadequacy (you decide if I am talking about transmissions).

Just get the best deal on the best 93-97 you can, and don't worry about what year it is. Pay for the mileage, condition and maintenance records.

There is nothing wrong with a 93/94 unless you are married to airbags, plan to put a blower on it, or want OBD II diagnostics. The 95 is the same as 96/97 except for OBD II intermediate. All have the same options except as noted. To offset the advantages of the 95-97s, 93-94 arguably has tougher but not as smooth tranny (sorry b-wulf but you know it's true or they wouldn't have left the 442 in production for the rest of the world) and maybe a better radiator. According to Sleeoffroad, 97's have more head gasket issues than other years but no one knows why.

Also, if you are going to go for a 96 or 97 look at a Lexus LX450 which is likely to have been babied more and is basically the same as the LC except for better soundproofing, body cladding. The 450s can sometimes be had pretty cheap.

12. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    <<<<<<"There is nothing wrong with a 93/94 unless you are married to airbags, plan to put a blower on it">>>>>>>>>

:whoops: Simon, I will not remove my blower :flipoff2:

13. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, if I can pull this deal off, it will have a blower in it at least for the ride home :p
    Seriously though, I would rather it have air bags. It will mainly be used for shlepping our girls to school, violin, ice hockey practices/games and the like. We are in Northern AZ so some trail driving would be done.

We can keep mileage down as her 1999 Grand Caravan that was purchased new in '99
    has 50k including a trip to Minnesota and back.

97's have head gasket probs?? did they change vendors for 97? Does this problem exist worldwide or just in NA ??

I found a 97 in Tempe that I would like to go look at. I couldn't get ahold of the dealer tonight but looking at the photo it looks as if it has a 40th emblem on the side of the fender, but the color is white, I thought all the 40th's were silver. I guess it could be a Euro lamp but it is not amber.

look for yourselves>>> http://carinfo.autofi.com/metro/veh...ealerid=305&stockno=3T2123A&si=phoenixautonet

14. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh yeah,
    HLTOPPR was telling me that the only difference between factory tow package equipped and non tow package equipped is the receiver hitch. True or false??

15. Junk

Junk

:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: Now, see, that's what you get for hanging around with the guys you do. :D It's a delightfull sage color.

Then again, that one could be a repaint or a CE.

I would advise to steer clear of the auto climate control. Several of us that have 40th's know it's a piece of crap. Some will disagree, but like dood, like mine really sucks. :'(

16. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    Pardon my ignorance for this,(and for the company I keep) but what is a CE?

Can the standard climate controls be retro'd in without too much trouble?

17. Junk

Junk

CE = collectors edition. Basically a 40th wannabee. :D

18. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

$21K is over priced. If you can get it for under $17k it would be worth considering. Not a good add information wise, one picture, limited description. Does it have lockers, maintenance history, carfax?

19. MoGas

Media:
    Albums:
    Called the dealer this AM.... Sold last night.

I guess it's back to the grind of looking on the internet..
    What are your opinoins of purchasing from a dealer vs. private party?

I prefer dealer because you may have recourse. If it is Fu<<ed up you can return it within 3 days.

20. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Just get the cruiser Dave....we'll help you look it over when you find one you're interested with....of course, the right amount of $$ waved at Skeddy might get you into his rig...he's kinda lusting after a 100 series...

-H-