Maybe it is time? Been a great truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My beloved 2000 LX has been everywhere reliably. At 276K it needs a timing belt and a fan braket. I was going to spring for it this week but today it started stumbling from stop and surging in drive at stop lights. At first I thought is was the tranny and at this point I'm thinking I'm out. But then I remember a few years back I had to replace two coils due to stumbling though they were evident on hills and under engine load. Tranny oil is bright red and at proper level. No check lights

Can I diagnose a coil with a OBDII without a code being thrown? Seems from the forum these transmissions are not known to shudder. My wife thinks or truck is too old but there really is nothing that can replace it for comfort, reliability and capabilities. I have taken this thing places I could never take our 4X4 pickups.

My beloved 2000 LX has been everywhere reliably. At 276K it needs a timing belt and a fan braket. I was going to spring for it this week but today it started stumbling from stop and surging in drive at stop lights. At first I thought is was the tranny and at this point I'm thinking I'm out. But then I remember a few years back I had to replace two coils due to stumbling though they were evident on hills and under engine load. Tranny oil is bright red and at proper level. No check lights

Can I diagnose a coil with a OBDII without a code being thrown? Seems from the forum these transmissions are not known to shudder. My wife thinks or truck is too old but there really is nothing that can replace it for comfort, reliability and capabilities. I have taken this thing places I could never take our 4X4 pickups.

Sounds like it could be a bad coil. Pull them and inspect for cracks or other obvious signs of damage. If you don't have a check engine light, then you probably won't have code to read with a standard code reader. If you have Techstream you may be able to see more of what is going on.

For who this may help out in the future - It turns out that an OBDII can diagnose a bad coil without the check engine light turning. Plugged it in and sure enough cylinder # 2 misfire. This will be the third coil or forth coil I put on this truck. Common with these trucks it seems

For who this may help out in the future - It turns out that an OBDII can diagnose a bad coil without the check engine light turning. Plugged it in and sure enough cylinder # 2 misfire. This will be the third coil or forth coil I put on this truck. Common with these trucks it seems

So did you get your issue resolved?

I ordered a coil once here I will report back. I fill a little silly as I jumped to conclusions about the tranny and should have know better as the same symptoms happened in 2019 and a new coil remedied it.

I had a similar scenario and wasnt sure if it was engine or tranny. Some research on Mud pointed me to the coil packs or the high-idle vacuum lines as being a possible issue. It turns out I had a couple of failing coil packs.

I ordered a coil once here I will report back. I fill a little silly as I jumped to conclusions about the tranny and should have know better as the same symptoms happened in 2019 and a new coil remedied it.

Yes, the A343F tranny is a very durable model. If serviced regularly....it would be about the last thing I would suspect, given the symptoms you described. As for your Wife thinking the vehicle is too old, well that's just typical Female thinking and remedy. REPLACE IT.

Rarely do they (women) consider just 'fixing' something. Nope....get rid of it. Usually trading one set of problems for even more (just from another source).

IF you don't know the service history of the vehicle and your issue turns out to be a coil pack, just go completely down one bank and replace them all. Then keep any good ones for emergency spares. Do the other side when your wallet can stand it and DON'T buy Chinese crap, use good quality coil packs.

Yes, the A343F tranny is a very durable model. If serviced regularly....it would be about the last thing I would suspect, given the symptoms you described. As for your Wife thinking the vehicle is too old, well that's just typical Female thinking and remedy. REPLACE IT.

Rarely do they (women) consider just 'fixing' something. Nope....get rid of it. Usually trading one set of problems for even more (just from another source).

IF you don't know the service history of the vehicle and your issue turns out to be a coil pack, just go completely down one bank and replace them all. Then keep any good ones for emergency spares. Do the other side when your wallet can stand it and DON'T buy Chinese crap, use good quality coil packs.

This is similar to what I did, except I went ahead and replaced all 8 with Denso's. The problem went away.

What brand coil packs are you using for replacements ?

This is similar to what I did, except I went ahead and replaced all 8 with Denso's. The problem went away.

^^^^

Smart, that way you KNOW the quality of the coil packs, you KNOW that all are the same age and you won't have to play 'musical coil pack' when one goes out....which won't be for a LONG time in your case.

^^^^

Smart, that way you KNOW the quality of the coil packs, you KNOW that all are the same age and you won't have to play 'musical coil pack' when one goes out....which won't be for a LONG time in your case.

This was my exact logic. ~$400 and you have some piece of mind...until some other aspect of the truck gives you Mud paranoia.

This is what I'm getting ready to do after seeing my 98 has 7 oem coils of unknown age and 1 cheapo of some kind.

OP the timing belt and fan bracket job isnt that hard, just takes a couple days of wrenching. I got the full Aisin TB kit and fan bracket for ~$300

This is what I'm getting ready to do after seeing my 98 has 7 oem coils of unknown age and 1 cheapo of some kind.

OP the timing belt and fan bracket job isnt that hard, just takes a couple days of wrenching. I got the full Aisin TB kit and fan bracket for ~$300

^^^^

Agree with this. Not technical at all, but a bit time consuming if you are cleaning parts before reinstalling or doing other 'while your in there' stuff.

I think we are all missing the point...yes, we agree with your wife. You need to upgrade to a lower mile example 100, find the 200 you’ve always dreamed of but didn’t dare mention, or even find that diamond of a cherry 80. She’s right. But, the 100 you currently have isn’t worth anything in its old age and you might as well keep it as a toy for you to play with.

You’re welcome. ;)

Last edited:
I think we are all missing the point...yes, we agree with your wife. You need to upgrade to a lower mile example 100, find the 200 you’ve always dreamed of but didn’t dare mention, or even find that diamond of a cherry 80. She’s right. But, the 100 you currently have isn’t worth anything in its old age and you might as well keep it as a toy for you to play with.

You’re welcome.

I agree with part of that statement, keep it as you’re never going to find another one like it, but as far as it not being worth anything, according to KBB which is a lowball, my 2000 model Land Cruiser with over 450,000 miles on it is worth 4K.

I’ve taken the preventative steps, last year it got eight plugs, a brand new Denzo coils, a brand new cam timing sensor and a brand new crank position sensor, that took care of everything semi ignition related. Only thing from there on would be wiring to and from the ECU and immobilizer errors via the under hood fuse box.

My wife and I actually had this talk last night, we love our old land cruiser, it’s been a tank for us, thankfully it’s our third vehicle so I don’t drive it every day but I do drive it more when it’s warmer out, we’re just not ready to get rid of it yet though. Infact she is getting 285 KO2s tomorrow!

Rarely do they (women) consider just 'fixing' something. Nope....get rid of it. Usually trading one set of problems for even more (just from another source)...
I'll be the one to offer a different opinion about the women in my life... In my experience they are very practical and willing to repair or work with what they have. Not trying to stir up trouble, just my experience.

What brand coil packs are you using for replacements ?
6731303 Denso - $48 from rock auto, $52 Amazon.
Being ‘cheap’ I have bought 2 to replace one coil. I replace the bad coil, and replace the good (old) coil next to it. Keep good (old) coil as a backup. Over 70k later I have one original coil left (and a few old spares) 6 coils failed, no 320k on my 98. My ‘04 just had its first coil fail at 220k.

Would be prudent to have replaced all 8 at once, but always having a spare allowed for easy repair. ‘04 failed after remove for valve cover gasket replacement. On my 98 - Every coil failure while 100 miles or more from home. Twice I didn’t have an OBD scanner and pulled into an o’reilly or autozone for free 3 minute loaner. (Also carry a new Denso spare fuel pump.)

I am big fan of YEC Flamma; Amazon product ASIN B01C4O5MJI
They are made in Japan and cost half as much as Denso! I have been running mine for almost 35K miles with no issues!

It’s definitely your transmission. The coil pack didn’t fix anything pure coincidence. It’ll surely break down any day now. Better sell it to me before that happens ;)
Hope you can sense the sarcasm. Glad you got it sorted out. I’m rolling on 7 original coil packs at 250k

This was my exact logic. ~$400 and you have some piece of mind...until some other aspect of the truck gives you Mud paranoia.
MUD paranoia is REAL too .....

"Oh no, my rig just had a hard time starting. Time to replace the fuse box, fuel pump, fuel filters, plugs, and coils. Since I'm at it and dirty, might as well swap all the fluids and other filters too. While the underbelly guards are off, I better do the steering rack. Wait, the wheels need to come off? Might as well do the brakes, rubber bushings, wheel bearings, etc. Honey, I just spent $1500 on the Hundy because of MUD!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom