Maybe I smoked some internal wiring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday, I was running some errands and all of a sudden I lost radio, horn, hazards and my 12 volt accessorie plug. The 12volt accessorie is blade sharing this fuse. Yep, pretty ghetto set up I know.

There was a 30amp fuse where there is supposed to be a 15amp fuse. So the fuse isn’t blown. I tried putting a new 15 and 30 amp fuse in but no dice. Everything is still dead. Did I blow a relay? Did I blow up my brand new radio?

Finally time I got a fuse bus and tied all the accessories to it but in the mean time what did I break?

The green wire is my 12 volt accessories plug. Aka my phone and SatNav charger. The phone charger is the only thing I had working in addition to the radio when it went down. I’m not sure what the blue and red wires are doing but i’m going to, move them over to fuse bus when it comes in the mail.

Appreciate any help here...

D54EA768-2E32-48C4-9862-5593C25C7605.jpeg

Agree on check the fusible link.

You like fires? That's how fires start. Definitely clean that circus up with something appropriate and put the correct size fuses where they go.

It's really hard to tell what's going on given it's probably an aftermarket radio. Lots of potential things to trace down and check.

As stated above, start with the fusible link plugs coming off your battery. That will baseline your hunt for the issue. Download the factory service manual. There are wiring diagrams in the back that will tell you what is all hooked together. Then you can start tracing individual items such as the radio to see where the problem lies.

Remove items that you have installed such as the cell charging power and nav. It looks like you did this already? Let's see how you fixed it. Show us some pictures.

Ha! I have the exact same trailer brakes installed in the exact same spot. Threw me for a loop, there

Check your fusible links which are near the battery + connection.

Will do but wouldn’t it knock out more than just this circuit if it was the fusible link?

Agree on check the fusible link.

I looked at it but there are no visual signs of damage. When one of these blows. What happens? The middle wires fray/break/burn? Inside the connectors burn/blow?

You like fires? That's how fires start. Definitely clean that circus up with something appropriate and put the correct size fuses where they go.

It's really hard to tell what's going on given it's probably an aftermarket radio. Lots of potential things to trace down and check.

As stated above, start with the fusible link plugs coming off your battery. That will baseline your hunt for the issue. Download the factory service manual. There are wiring diagrams in the back that will tell you what is all hooked together. Then you can start tracing individual items such as the radio to see where the problem lies.

Remove items that you have installed such as the cell charging power and nav. It looks like you did this already? Let's see how you fixed it. Show us some pictures.

Not a huge fan of fires... Hence wanting to repair this correctly. My wife did get me a WitsEnd Fire extinguisher mount for Xmas though. I should get that thing installed.

I do have an actual FSM as well as printed PDF’s. I’ll take a stab at the wiring diagrams. Although I’m not that smart when it comes to reading wiring diagrams. They confuse me. I’m am pretty keen on making wiring looms and heatshrink and what not so I’m not a total idiot.

I installed the last two aftermarket radios but not the first one so I’ve been using what ever power source (which is the hazard/horn circuit.) that the previous did. I need to relocate this to an external bus it looks like.

I didn’t have time last night or today to look into this further. Hopefully I can carve out sometime after work this this week although I’m slammed right now with work.

Will report back soon...

Hazards and horn have their own common fusible link,so that explains why that is the only circuit which is down right now.Red wired fuse.

When a fusible link blows, the metal inside the plastic sheath melts and breaks. It can do it without any obvious signs from the outside. Get a multimeter, or at least a test lamp,, and check on whether there is power coming through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom