May ROTM- 5/30 Coconino NF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
So, I volunteered to organize the May run of the month for the club, and the plan is to do an overnight run between the Sedona area and Flagstaff.

Plan: Start the day fairly early in either Cottonwood or Sedona on Sat the 30th. I am thinking an 8-830 start is reasonable, will avoid the heat in the Verde Valley, and gives people time to travel to the start.

We will likely run some of the lower red rock area trails, on the way to the Casner trailhead. We could include some of the ruins in the area (Honaki or Palatki), and then on to Casner Mtn. Casner is essentially a rough power line road that climbs Casner Mtn from near Sycamore Pass (sw of Sedona, nw of Cottonwood/Clarkdale) to the top of the Mogollon Rim south of Flagstaff. It is a unique access area because it bisects the Sycamore and Secret Canyon Wilderness areas, which are at times less than 50' apart. The road offers tremendous red rock views, follows a very narrow ridge at times, and is accessible to vehicles by permit only. This is NOT touristy Sedona. I will point out no vortexes, nor offer any magic crystal healing prayers/sweat lodge ceremonies, etc o_O

I have the permit process going, and the reservations have been made. The trip will require a minimum of 3 vehicles, and a max of 10 (permit regs). It should be stocker friendly. however, I have not personally run this in the last 5-6 years, so conditions can change. The permit season only runs from May 16 until October, so you go when you can. I will try to get a road condition report the week before we depart.

We will camp out up in the pines on top of the rim. The easy way out is the dusty trip up the entire length of Woody Mtn Rd to Flagstaff, with some bail out points towards 89A north of Sedona.

****Meeting place: Safeway on Hwy 89 in Sedona***
***Departure time: 930 am*** air down will follow, not airing down at Safeway.

The list so far:

1) Pitch
2) Rudster
3) Goldy
4) jclarke450
5) Taco Charlee and Cruddz
6) brices123
7) Living in the Past
8) Dissent
9) Lost African
10) Stormtrooper

Waiting List:

11) -----
12) Onefastrx7turbo
13) Grey Turd
14) wtmtnterror

Names will be added/substracted/updated/etc as needed. Please post up if you can't make it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun trip and will note this on my calendar as an in for this.

This is NOT touristy Sedona. I will point out no vortexes, nor offer any magic crystal healing prayers/sweat lodge ceremonies, etc o_O

I thought it was mandatory to at least to sit in a pyramid if you visit Sedona.

Just a day trip or overnight camping? Guess by then fire restrictions will be in full force. You can put me down for this one. First day after buying my 68 FJ40 I headed down Woody Mountain Road and ended around rattle snake burn if I remember correctly. I didn't realize you could head down off the rim anywhere in that area. Sycamore Wilderness to the west. Not sure where Secret Canyon Wilderness is. I know the cut off thru Fry Park was still there but shut last year because of the Oak Creek fire. Thought the two others I knew of had been closed. One brought to over by Fort Tuthill and the other between the two.

I will commit to this as well

I put this on our calendar. Really hope to make it. I will make sure I let you know one way or the other for sure.

Great interest so far! In the next week or so, I will get a list set up of the interested parties, and even a waiting list if needed. Post up if you are interested, as I will use the order of your posts to get your name on the list.

I'm gonna try, month end might trip me up :(

I plan on going. I'm hoping it will work out I can get up north on Friday night and head down Saturday morning. Would be really nice if I could get my 68's clutch replaced by then but doubt that will happen. Would cool to take back to the area over forty years earlier had my first LC off road experience in 1974. Plan B is my second LC a 89 FJ62 which is registered and road worthy.

I do believe I was on that trail out of Cottonwood back in 72. Over a few beers one night a friend said he knew of a good place to go fishing in the Verde Valley. Drove down that night and headed north on a dirt road. Spent the night in my 62 Impala and down to a creek off the west side of road in the morning. This area brings back memories of my youth.

It was this same friend who convinced me to go backpacking in West Clear Creek hiking down Tramway trail. Said it was a paved road to a parking lot and took my Opel GT. Oh to be young and dumb again.:rolleyes:

Interested, what happens if there's more than 10 interested? Can you get a permit for a 2nd group?

Negative on the 2nd group. There is only one permit issued per week.

If you are camping out on the rim overlooking Secret Mountain wilderness you will be in awe. This may be one of the best camping spots in Arizona, except when it is windy. The area overlooks Sedona and some breathtaking views.

Woody Mountain road is a great easy drive with a significant amount of wildlife. Watch for Antelope at Rodgers Lake and Mill Park. Elk from the west fork up to just before I-40, especially around the Mill Park area and Deer along the entire length. Even an above average chance, depending on time of day, of seeing a lion or bear from west fork south.

Look for tornado damage along the way from the outbreak a few years ago.

Side trips to the West Fork (not far)and Volunteer Canyon to west and if really adventurous out to Sycamore Point. That would be a long day though...

Sorry to say I can't make it, WAY too busy and will be pulling my engine towards the end of April to do the HG, upper oil pan, timing chain, rear main seal and darn near everything else except a total rebuild. Time has not been my friend the last 6 months. :(
Sedona 2.JPG
DSCF1111.JPG
DSCF1138.JPG

View from camp above secret mountain...

Secret Mountain wilderness
DSCF1138.JPG

Yes I am in, if we are limited to bringing a max of 10 vehicles on the trip I'll ride with @Cruddz to save space.

I'm tentatively in! How many spots are left?

Are there any alternate routes that would allow others to join and then route around the 8 mile special use section and rejoin the group?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom