May ROTM 2014 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New meet time 8:30

Meeting at the Gold Canyon Shell gas station @ 8:30 and rolling out soon thereafter. The gas station is located here >MAP
Where: May's run will be enjoying the Salt River about 20 miles up NE of Globe. Ive camped overnight with some other CSC'rs a year or two ago and really enjoyed this very scenic spot.
When: The weekend of May 17-18
Who: This is a stocker fiendly run with a section that will be challenging but very doable. Ive seen a 80 pull a trailer up this section with no problem.
Details: I chose this spot because it will be hot soon and the temps here will be nice - especially in the evening. There are swimming holes to splash around in as well and the elevation should keep it nice during the day. It is a close enough drive to be able to do this run and still make is home by dinnertime if one choses. The first day may include some hiking/exploring of the river (specifically upstream where the water runs through a narrowed rocky slot with big boulders), fishing, or just kicking back by the water.
Overnight Camp? Yes~ While it is a great day run, there are usually several people that will elect to stay overnight and camp along the sandy areas along the river's bank. There may be some exploring of some other side roads in the area on the way out the next day.

LandCruiserPhil just preran this area while doing a recent weekend getaway. LCP, can you share some thoughts and pictures?

Last edited:
Pic's from Saturday 4.19.2014
Should give one an idea
IMG_7726.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_7743.JPG

Dont see other people but you are not alone and just a visitor to the locals

IMG_7786.JPG

He blends right in with that sand, glad I didn't see this one in person.

Yikes! Did your dog remember his Snake training?

Can't make it as that is the weekend I will be at the overland expo.

regarding Mr. D: Not only does he blend right in, he also isn't very happy with being photographed. :mad:

regarding Mr. D: Not only does he blend right in, he also isn't very happy with being photographed. :mad:

Actually I was very lucking stepping only 1' next to him. :eek: Being early in the AM (cold) he was curled up, looked like of pile of sht , and did move until I poked him with a stick:doh::grinpimp:

Ya know, I read about people like you in the obits. Sort of like poking the wife with a stick too early in the morning, snakes also hate to have their sleep disturbed. o_O

Re: Rattler - I've had that same thing happen to me, but stepped within inches of him and it looked like a dried up old cow pie.

I'm a 'maybe' at this point, as I have to see about what other things need to get done between now and then. I've been gone for a few weeks and still getting caught up on a few things around the house.

The last time we were out there was early January when we all froze our butts off, right? This time around should be a lot more tolerable for an AZ desert rat like me!

I haven't been out in a while.. I'm a maybe too!

looking forward to getting out again and wishing this great weather were having stays ~

Meeting at the Gold Canyon Shell gas station at 8:00am and pulling out at 8:15. Map of the Shell > MAP

See you there!

Murf

Any permit(s) needed for this run?

I'm vasillating as a probably -- just to do a test run of new camping gear.

Any permit(s) needed for this run?

I'm vasillating as a probably -- just to do a test run of new camping gear.

No permit needed Tim

You will like this run only 2-3 miles of needed 4WD with nothing crazy

Thanks -- and just for the record, crazy isn't a problem as long as, generally speaking, it doesn't lead to a broken vehicle :steer: .

After all , isn't it sort of crazy to drive down a freeway at rush hour ?

looking forward to getting out again and wishing this great weather were having stays ~

Meeting at the Gold Canyon Shell gas station at 8:00am and pulling out at 8:15. Map of the Shell > MAP

See you there!

Murf

I can probably come on this one, but I'd hate to drive all the way down to Phoenix and then back up to Globe.

What road are you taking off of highway 60?

If it is north of Globe it would be easier for me to go up 77 and meet you on the way.

If it is north of Globe it would be easier for me to go up 77 and meet you on the way.

Sound like a plan Steve, how about we meet you at the intersection of 60 & 77 heading out of Globe. Im guessing we will see you around 8:30-ish? We'll watch for you!

Murf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom