May I introduce my 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aer0397

SILVER Star
Threads
Ive been looking for a FJ60 for a bit but really got serious last year, and after a few false starts I found my girl. She's a 06/1984 60, not de-smoged and OEM, with 224000 on the clock. The PO took loving care of her and fixed/repaired/replaced many of the "usual suspect" issues. This is my 1st vehicle thats almost as old as I am and I've got a lot to learn, but this website is a wealth of knowledge and has given me the courage to tackle any issue so far. And all the MUDers I have met in person have been super helpful and kind. My wife and I made it out be the Lone Star Land Cruiser Round Up in March and had a blast wheeling and drinking and eating with the Austin and San Antonio crew, @CenTXFJ60, @POTATO LAUNCHER , @aljollano and others I cant reminder. The 1st project I decided to tackle was to rebuild the OEM carburetor with the help of YouTube (PinHeads videos were clutch) and emails to and from @FJ40Jim, I got it rebuilt with nothing broken and no extra parts left over. And she is running. Ive got big plans for my new obsession and Im excited about the next local meet up or trail ride.

And I know what you fiends want...pictures
IMG_8704.jpg
IMG_8713.jpg
IMG_8716.jpg
IMG_8754.jpg
IMG_9058.jpg
IMG_9945.PNG

And for anyone that made it this far into the post, here is a teaser of my next big project.... with the help of "Jimmy's Barn", knowhow and tools. Without running the part number, any guess? It's kinda easy

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 16.29.04.jpg

I know you know this already but going to say it anyway. You won’t regret it. By the way start practicing your return thumbs up now. You will be getting them allot of them. Welcome.

Great news; baring anything unforeseen with my schedule, I’ve got some time in Jimmy’s Barn on 26/OCT. We are going to rebuild the t-case, replace the 4 speed with a new H55, find and fix the leaks from the RMS or oil pan, and probably replace the clutch and associated parts. You know…”since I’m in there” kind of rabbit hole.
Gotta send out the flywheel to get resurfaced and the drive shafts to have the correct length added and subtracted to fit the H55F. Many thanks to @TRAIL TAILOR for the much needed t-case shifter fab and @orangefj45 for responding to my many, many emails and texts. @CenTXFJ60 , I’m so excited to get this project started and start learning more about my 60. Hopefully I’ll remember to take all the pictures for the annals of history
@FFMullins you should stop by too and meet Jimmy

Great news; baring anything unforeseen with my schedule, I’ve got some time in Jimmy’s Barn on 26/OCT. We are going to rebuild the t-case, replace the 4 speed with a new H55, find and fix the leaks from the RMS or oil pan, and probably replace the clutch and associated parts. You know…”since I’m in there” kind of rabbit hole.
Gotta send out the flywheel to get resurfaced and the drive shafts to have the correct length added and subtracted to fit the H55F. Many thanks to @TRAIL TAILOR for the much needed t-case shifter fab and @orangefj45 for responding to my many, many emails and texts. @CenTXFJ60 , I’m so excited to get this project started and start learning more about my 60. Hopefully I’ll remember to take all the pictures for the annals of history
@FFMullins you should stop by too and meet Jimmy
3156A9EF-752E-422A-9532-7407ABB97EF6.png
How many days this gonna take? I’ll be on a 48. Need to get with Jimmy about my rear main. Started with no leak when I got it, now it’s an issue. Never mind this death wobble 😂

EDIT
I’m dumb. Getting into the rebuild on the 23/OCT. Give him a call or text about time in his barn

You'll love the 5 speed did my 87 FJ60 a few months back, along with transfer case rebuild, fly wheel resurface, new clutch and new rear main seal. The rear main was not leaking with 375k on the clock was amazed.

If you need a 5 speed shifter knob a I have the I bought when I did my swap, I couldn't get used to it lol and swapped back to my old knob.
If you want it's yours, I'll box it up and drop it in the mail. You'll just owe me a beer next time your in the Houston area. :beer:

Happy wrenching on your upcoming project.

You'll love the 5 speed did my 87 FJ60 a few months back, along with transfer case rebuild, fly wheel resurface, new clutch and new rear main seal. The rear main was not leaking with 375k on the clock was amazed.

If you need a 5 speed shifter knob a I have the I bought when I did my swap, I couldn't get used to it lol and swapped back to my old knob.
If you want it's yours, I'll box it up and drop it in the mail. You'll just owe me a beer next time your in the Houston area. :beer:

Happy wrenching on your upcoming project.
My man! Appreciate it. I have family in that area and I’m down there often (exit 19 off 45). I already have a 5 speed shifter knob but thanks for offering

My man! Appreciate it. I have family in that area and I’m down there often (exit 19 off 45). I already have a 5 speed shifter knob but thanks for offering
No problem.
It's been rolling the truck for a the last week or two and the dog has been eyeing it pretty hard these last few days.
Guess I better toss it into the spare parts box before its a Toyota branded chew toy. :rolleyes:

No problem.
It's been rolling the truck for a the last week or two and the dog has been eyeing it pretty hard these last few days.
Guess I better toss it into the spare parts box before its a Toyota branded chew toy. :rolleyes:
Glad to give you some coin for that shifter knob. Would never shy away from that as I like to keep parts for future conversions.

B6CC7E36-DEFE-4D07-8596-62C71186853C.jpeg
D45E32CB-E783-4723-A225-A3299C14FE49.jpeg
BB871B46-956B-4B7A-BD38-E59D2A81E562.jpeg
H55F transmission swap officially got started last week. Over a weekend @CenTXFJ60 and I (but mostly Jimmy) were able get the old t-case and H42 removed and separated with no issues.

Then the real work started, it was an 8 hour scrub fest getting the t-case clean. Between a pressure washer, parts washer and a final cleaning in Jimmy’s dishwasher it turned out beautiful. We (again, all Jimmy) got the t-case rebuild and all sealed up with a kit from Georg. Because my 60 is a 6/1984, we needed to use the longer t-case through bolts (PN 90119-12235) x3 to marry the new transmission and rebuilt t-case. Also replaced the shorter bolts (PN 90119-12047) x4. Oh, can’t forget the 5th gear oiler cup and the reproduction transfer shift linkage from @TRAIL TAILOR

Formatting question; how do I imbed the photos so that they are in the paragraph? So that the pictures aren’t all at the beginning or end?

535FAAAA-AB0D-4AD2-ABF9-39C260DAC55A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom