may be buying a 4runner...need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've found an '89 one owner 4runner, 80000 miles, bone stock, perfect shape inside and out, it's has a 4 cylinder with an automatic tranny, $5000....what do y'all think about the price and does anyone have any experience with the 4 cylinder in front of an automatic tranny? is it a dog with this setup, and how reliable is that tranny? also what kind of gas milage can i expect with it?

thanks

My 6cyl manual is a dog, I expect the 4cyl auto to be much worse... I would be happy to sell my 93 4r for $5k, I think it is high for an older four cylinder, even with relatively low mileage.

It'll be a dog, for sure. Stick would be much better with the 4cyl. The V-6 with auto, although considered too sluggish by most folks, isn't a bad setup. I'd imagine your mileage would be 15-20MPG.

My 89 4 runner with the 4cyl and auto get's around 20 mpg usually a bit more. It is a bit slow but I don't find it too bad. It definatly promotes a relaxe drivnig style. I traded my 2000 toyota echo for mine. The truck was also in excellent condition. All in all the truck cost me around CDN$4000. I love it though, and I'm a long time land rover owner before then.

I've had an 80 4x4, 86 w/ FI, the 80 and my runner. The 3.0 is ok, decent power, much much better than the 22re was for power. As long as the headgasket was fixed...mine has a new shortblock.

i drove it today, not THAt bad really...i currently drive a taco 4x4 extended cab with 2.7 and manual tranny and the 4runner really didn't seem much different powerwise to me...neither one is anything to write home about powerwise but not unbearable either....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom