Maxxis Razr -33x10.50-15 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I finally had these tires out and I put them through their paces. First day was up at Anthracite. A mix of coal roads, hill climbs, water holes and mud, and some rocks. I aired down to 14 psi on a mostly stock 82 FJ40 posted earlier. We did a mix of greens and blues and whatever else we ran into. In the mud they shined, I did not need to spin the tires, they kept moving with steady easy throttle and worked great. Loose dirt, side hills, whatever they held their line. They griped the rocks great too.

Day two I went out with a small group at Rausch Creek and did lots of solid Blue trails and a mix of Greens to get around. Mind you I was in a full hard top and doors FJ40 so I had to be carefully. I was able to hold lines and sidehills and keep it off all the trees. I went into deep ruts and v notches, more mud and these guys like mud/water holes. I was the smallest tired rig in the group, mostly 80's on 35's and one FJ40 on tons and 39's. The trail leader kept coming back and asking if I was ok and if it was too tuff. The little 40 did great and kept going. On the last trail, Topless for Ta-tas we took the 40 on 39's through the black loop off to the side and up the hill. After spotting him I saw a line and told the guys I was going to try it, they all laughed and said, "no way". Well up the hill I went and caught up to the 40 on 39's who had just finished the loop. Not a scatch! Tires did remarkably well to say the least. They look great after two days out on the trails. I never got stuck, pulled cable or even got a tug in the two days we went out. Good times.

Now as far as size goes, they did rub the front relay rod on left and right turns. They also rubbed the top of the rear wheel wells as well as inner wheel wells on articulation. Yes I flexed it out a bit during my two day adventure. I had almost forgot how fun and challenging it was to wheel something so small again. I remember wheeling all over Telico, all the trails in a 75 40 on 33's, it took me back in time. I have been wheeling and racing my race car on 37-40" tires for so long I took it for granite.

With all this being said, I am going to take another one of my 40's and build a dedicated STW (Small Tire Wheeler) with these same 33" tires on it but put a mild 2 1/2" lift to clear the tires along with some other mods. My 82 is too nice to beat up on the trails.

cmcc 2019 1.jpg

cmcc2019 2.jpg

cmcc 2019 3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. This is what it’s all about. As you know none of those rubs matter.

I love wheeling again now on normal tails that I just flew over with rock monster trucks.

I realized I have not updated this thread with my thoughts after having the Warthog up and running for 7 months.

So far, so good. I’ve run them in the rain, mud, gravel, water. I can’t find a bad thing to say about them.
They only have about 4000 miles on them but they are still quiet and nice and round. No sign of wear at all.
I’ll keep updates coming

3B8D4E46-1854-4E10-8947-DE355F857513.jpeg

Also, I ended up getting rid of those tiny KM3s.

I got some steel 16’s and 255/85-16 Yokohamas for my FJ60

FYI the Maxxis 33x10.50-16 and the 255/85-16 are the same height mounted. The 255’s are about 1.5” narrower though.

8F0E39A7-2C6C-4A6D-8CD9-6322C68FA459.jpeg

Thanks for the update! Still winter here, but thinking about summer shoes for the 61. Having issues with my 15" wheels... Thinking about going for OEM 15 or 16 for a new set of rubber. The Yokohama's look pretty sweet on there! Any feedback on them yet?

Thanks for the update! Still winter here, but thinking about summer shoes for the 61. Having issues with my 15" wheels... Thinking about going for OEM 15 or 16 for a new set of rubber. The Yokohama's look pretty sweet on there! Any feedback on them yet?

yeah the Yokohama are my favorite tires for sure. Hands down. I really love the size and the looks. They are wearing great on both trucks.

@wngrog , are you interested in opinions and experience with other size Razr's for this thread? I purchased a set of 315/75/16's for my '94 80 series back in August and have around 2100 miles on them.

Of course

Ok, so back in August I was prepping my '94 for a group run into the Maze district in Utah's backcountry. My Toyo A/T II Extremes had over 20K miles on them and I'm thinking, yeah, they'll probably be fine, but I really wanted some M/Ts for gnarly terrain and mud. I had a 2nd set of tires on wagon wheels that the 80 had "outgrown" since re-gearing to 5.29s. They were Toyo M55 in the 255/85/16 vintage. I had them siped and they excelled for winter driving, but that was with my OEM gears. So I went down to the local Les Schwab to do some trading.

I have a set of Maxxis Bighorns on my '81 Mini that work really well for all kinds of wheeling, and are holding up very well. So when I saw that LS was selling Razr's, I was jazzed. I had read some reviews and hadn't seen anything bad. So being my 80 is full time 4WD, I got 5 and rotate the spare into the mix, to keep them all the same. They are the 315/75/16 size and being that I plan to use them almost exclusively in rough terrain, I chose to not sipe them. I'll run the A/T's year round and save the Razr's for the serious stuff.

So, about mid-September, I flat towed the 80 down to Green River, Utah for the group run. I stored my tow rig, an F350, with Lance camper aboard at Shady Acres campground and 6 of us aired down and hit the dirt roads south to Hans Flat Ranger Station to get our permits and spend a week in the Maze district. The group is ROF (retired 'ol farts) and if you're interested, you can read about it here. Anyway, I aired down to 20 psi to start for the washboard and dirt. But once we hit the Flint Trail and other gnarly stuff, I dropped to 14 psi (I don't have bead locks) and kept it there for the balance of the trip. I was seriously impressed with the tires. No traction problems at all. (I don't even remember any wheel spin.) I've got Harrop e-lockers front and rear and did not need to engage them at all. Weather was excellent - no precip - 70's & 80's during the days and high 30's and low 40's at night.

Pic before trip:
IMG_1137a.JPG

I took the Razr's off when back home (1800 mi round trip) and looking at them stored next to each other, the spare which has not been mounted, is identified by my Sharpie marking on inner wheel surface and no visible tread wear. There's a white line that runs the circumference of the tire and you can see how it is unbroken on the spare, but on the other 4 has been worn off on the top tread blocks, as shown in below pics. Also with my tread depth gauge, there's approx 2/32 worn off the tread depth after 1800 miles of pavement and 400 miles of dirt - a lot of it in low range. Most of the towing was at highway speeds of 65 - 80 mph which is hard on M/T treads.

Spare:
IMG_1310a.JPG

Tread depth of spare, not run yet so brand new depth, looks like 19/32"
IMG_1311a.JPG

One of the 4 run on trip:
IMG_1309a.JPG

Tread depth of this tire - looks like 17/32"
IMG_1312a.JPG

Last edited:
Another pic I found that's not so tech, but for those interested in appearance. Aired down to 14 psi and smack - dab in the Utah backcountry dust and desert sand. This is camped at Golden Staircase campsite with RTT & awning deployed. These tires didn't care what the terrain dished out - they did their job - gripped and made it seem like I was on a paved road - traction wise.

IMG_1257 (2).JPG

These 2 pics are for reference purposes. View from Golden Stairs campsite looking south and east. We were on the trail (road) you can see running diagnally through pic a couple days before. It heads out to a place called The Dollhouse. The terrain here demands 5 - 6 hrs to go approx 30 miles. To push it results in broken vehicles. Professional recovery charges start around $1000. We ran into a group on our way out on that road that had a new Ford Raptor. They were having to nursemaid it through spots. Had to wait for them in one spot for over 45 min while they were stacking rocks and such to get it through. Good tires are critical here.

IMG_1258a.JPG

IMG_1259a.JPG

Thanks for all the info you guys have provided. I think this is the tire for me!

I need help though. Does anyone have these on a 15x7 wheel? Any chance I could get an overall width measurement (sidewall-sidewall at the widest point)?

It looks like the OP measured on a 15x6 and according to the picture it looks like 9.75" overall, but hard to be clear.
My clearances are very close (running 255/80r17 now), and would love to have an idea if they will fit or not before I pay for some.

Thanks!

I bet that 35 is heavy AF!
Not too bad, it is on a aluminum wheel where as the 33 is on a steel 60 wheel. Not much difference in weight. But yes it is heavy.

Tires should be here Wed and I'm hoping to get them mounted up that afternoon. We have a ride this Saturday and we've gotten ~4" of rain this week, so trails should be good and muddy to test them on.

Trying to decide if I want to run the 33x10.5's on my stock 60 wheels (15x6) or my Toyota 42601-60072 Disc 40 wheels (I believe they are 15x5.5). Does anyone know the weight difference between the two (I would think they're pretty close). Part of me wants to change it up and mount them on the 40 wheels (w/o hubcaps). Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom