1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximum sidehill angle???

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by LandyLover, Jul 26, 2005.

1. LandyLover

LandyLover

How steep of a sidehill have you taken with your 80? Ive felt a little edgy on a couple trails, especially when they are wet, and Im trying to get a sense of how steep I can go without flopping on my side. Since there are different variables that will dictate the maximum angle, lets assume we're on a solid grippy surface (like asphalt) with stock suspension, 20 psi tire pressure. Has anyone got any experience with this?

2. sonoranfun

sonoranfun

Wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of how far you CAN'T go too!!

3. miked

miked

i don't know what the angle was but this one time.....

i had my friend and his sister out wheeling. we were in a wash and decided to get out the quick way. we went up and over a very steep side i had used before. problem was, it only looked like the one i used before. we crested with a small bit of speed and where i thought there was a plateau type landing, there was an equally sharp drop off that we ended up going down at an angle. when we came to a stop, i could reach out the window and nearly touch the ground!!
    first thing i said was "NO BODY MOVE!"
    when my friend did get out, his sister yells from the back, "WERE TEETERING"
    i was going to make her get out as well but she didn't want to move.
    we tightened out belts and locked in all diffs. to this day, i can't believe the truck made it up and out from that angle. to this day, she won't go wheeling with me anymore.

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

people are talking about something like 45 deg (check an older thread with numbers). I bet the pucker factor would be pretty bad at those angles though if one can even do it.

I did try recently a 25deg or so (measured) slope under controlled conditions in a practice area. That was interesting.

First, it looked pretty bad from the outside to this don't-like-off-camber-hills-one-bit newbie.

Second, ran it in a lifted 40 as passenger. That was bad, hung on for dear life to the roll cage. Wasn't absolutely convinced we were going to roll but was pretty uncomfortable.

Third, drove my non-lifted 80. That felt sooo much better. No worry or uncomfort at all. Felt solidly planted. No problem. Did it several times. (May have helped that I was on the uphill side.)

Strongly recommend to practice off-camber at your leisure, not by necessity in a group on the trail, where you are pushed forward and errors can cost...

5. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Media:
    Albums:
    If anyone knows Tellico and how steep and loose with gravel it gets on trail 11 right before guardrail, well that is where my scare begins. Since my truck is not ready for guardrail, I drive up to it then turn around and come back down. When trying to turn around this past weekend I am pretty confident by the way was leaning that I was about to tip, my spotters said I was not, but the truck was light and with loose rocks below, I was petrified and very scared. I was careful and made it through.

6. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Rolling is all about weight transfer not so much the angle.......