Maximum Carb and Air Filter Suggestions '83 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pirateslair.com
I'm researching the ultimate carb/air filter kit for a '83 FJ60 stationed in Tchad, Africa. There it is used as an Ambulance, Hospital supply truck, and general physician transporter into the community. It currently has an aftermarket carb and "performance" air cleaner. No bueno.
This is NOT some suburbanite candy hole where you pop down to the corner shop and drop $400 bucks on K&N, nor does it suffer flashy crap. We need bulletproof, easy to fix and find parts.
What i've gleaned so far is going with a world market OEM carb and OEM Filter can. Maybe a OEM Snorkel and pre-filter, but I was unaware of these even existing.
Please give me your best ideas, but real-(4th world) experience or knowledge is best! Most everything we use there has to be shipped in, must be well researched and replacement parts are key.
THANKS!!!

IMG_2170.JPG

Best carburetor = OEM with OEM air filter housing. Replacement parts, would need to buy lots of carb rebuild kits, air cleaners, and fuel filters to keep on hand.

HTH

Chiming in only to request more pics...some real world badassery right there.

Do you know of a OEM Snorkel kit for the rig? I always thought they were aftermarket.

I do not know of an OEM snorkel 'kit'. If the 2F in that FJ60 has a USA style air cleaner with a large oval shaped filter on top of the engine you are okay. If it has the non-USA carb topper with external can filter set-up (carb connects to a 'hat' then to a large hose to the air filter canister which would be on the right inner fender, to your left when standing in front of the engine bay) you would be just fine.

The non-USA set-up makes for an easy snorkel install because the air intake is already where it needs to be.

Here are two images I grabbed quickly off of Google.

USA style:

engine-1985-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ60.jpg

Non-USA style:

IMG_0728.JPG

HTH

Do you know of a OEM Snorkel kit for the rig? I always thought they were aftermarket.
When I was stationed in Mali I saw a few 60's with what appeared to be an OEM snorkel I know all 80's 100's and 200's being imported came with factory snorkels I am not sure about 60's if you cant find an OEM you can get a cheap knock off Safari on Ebay for around 120 shipped I haven't seen too many complaints yet on the knock offs. I would recommend getting a snorkel on though to get the intake out of the dirt. I lived in Mali for two years and in the dry season about 10 months out of the year thats all there was was that soft sand and I was greatful to have a snorkel and OEM filter on my 80 because the OEM filter is designed to be cleaned and reused.

I do not know of an OEM snorkel 'kit'. If the 2F in that FJ60 has a USA style air cleaner with a large oval shaped filter on top of the engine you are okay. If it has the non-USA carb topper with external can filter set-up (carb connects to a 'hat' then to a large hose to the air filter canister which would be on the right inner fender, to your left when standing in front of the engine bay) you would be just fine.

The non-USA set-up makes for an easy snorkel install because the air intake is already where it needs to be.

Here are two images I grabbed quickly off of Google.

USA style:

View attachment 1272419

Non-USA style:

View attachment 1272420

HTH
The bottom pic has a non-usa filter set up. Sir, do you know who might sell one. I believe I will try a "hat" and remote air box.

The bottom pic has a non-usa filter set up. Sir, do you know who might sell one. I believe I will try a "hat" and remote air box.
They are very hard to find in NA as they were never shipped here. I have one I got from Spectre off Road. They were in non-NA markets, so I'd try some of the OZ/etc websites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom