Max Youve Ever Towed... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled 7800# boat, from mechanic shop back to the storage shed 4 miles away. Trailer had good surge brakes, no problem. Was able to get up to 55 mph in drive, on the flat stretch of hwy.

It was probably one of the dumbest things I ever did, but it worked out. Normally we tow it with a 1 ton p/u, but it was out of town. It was sitting outside the shop, and a severe weather was coming.

I tow a 6000lb boat around 1500 miles a year - over 12,000 miles so far. I keep good tires under the 80 at high pressure, overmaintain everything and have AirLift springs on the rear axle for level towing. Use your head and consider every other driver out there an idiot doing their level best to cause an accident and you'll be fine.

DougM

I pullled a small front end loader tractor with backhoe on it.
The trialer was dual axle and very heavy alone.
As long as you have a really good hitch and good tire you will be fine.
Do not go over 40 mph

I have a pic somewhere of my 80 towing a 16' flatbed with another 80 on top. Hopefully what you are towing has surge or some other braking.

I towed a 34' Venture on a triple axle trailer with good brakes about 2 miles.

It was slow going, but I made it.
1512280_1_thumb.jpg

IM towing a scisor lift on a trailer....scisor lift=1200lbs. trailer=5000lbs. it has the towe package from the dealer........What's the rating on these anyway..?

Most of the information I've seen rates the towing capacity at 5000 lbs with the dealer installed hitch (or similar aftermarket)...MUCH less with a bolt on hitch to the crossmember.

Obviously at that weight or above it is critical that the trailer have good brakes, is balanced well, and that the tongue weight is kept as close to the allowed limit as possible. Oh, and some additional suspension support in the rear of the 80 is probably a much have as well (higher rate springs or air bags).

Personally I wouldn't do it but where I live pulling a 3000 lb trailer around taxes the 80 enough, so I can't imagine double that :eek:

IM towing a scisor lift on a trailer....scisor lift=1200lbs. trailer=5000lbs. it has the towe package from the dealer........What's the rating on these anyway..?

:confused: 5K# trailer to pull a 1200# scissor lift are you sure:confused:

I think the trailers safe gross weight is 5K, I highly doubt the trailer weighs that much! Unless it is quite large... Check the vin tag on the trailer for more info regarding the trailers empty and fully loaded weights:)

I'm 6'7 at 265.... so yeah i'm the heaviest weight i've hauled in it

In the process of getting parts together for 3500kg(7.7k pounds) gross tandem 4wheel disk electric over hydraulic flat deck.Hitch is aus Hayman Reese 3500kg.
Max for surge over here is 2500kg and 3500kg cab controlled with break away.

Looks like I may still have the max on this thread.
By the way, I about s*** myself when I discovered the rental trailer has no shocks worth a damn. Take it slow.

The factory rating on the tow hitch assumes the hitch is in good repair. I don't think I need to remind anyone about what my 'FACTORY HITCH' looked like when I removed it a few weeks ago. I doubt it would have pulled 500 lbs.

You know....I will check with the home pedot about the rating on the trailer. You might be right.

OK Home depot rental:idea: Yes you need to call them and check on that because I dont believe a lift from home depot would need a 5K trailer... A trailer that weighs 5K# could carry something that ways easily 2-3X its own weight. I pull a 48' trailer that weighs 15K+-
and it can hold at least 45K# with no problem:grinpimp:

Im sure you will be able to pull the lift with your cruiser as long as you have a good solid hitch and take it slow if there are noi electric brakes... Good luck and be careful as others have said watch out for the idiots and take it slow:cool:

Your mods dont show but I have Ome heavys, and 305 mtr's and long as you get some good tounge weight 6k lbs is no problem I have towed 6500lbs and over 7k several times, long as it is distrubited right and has good trailer brakes it is ok. the problem is hills they get real slow....

I hauled my toolbox from my old shop to the new one two weeks ago and the cruiser was on the bumpstops the whole way. I'm guessing I was in the 6,000lb range, and the toolbox was forward of the trailer axles but not to the front. Only went 12 miles and I really need to get my dually back together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom