Max. weight for synthetic t-case gear oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know how thick you can go with synthetic in your t-case? I'd like to try queiting my gears a bit but don't want to do any damage...

Thanks,

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

I've heard that Redline Gear Oil is great for transfer cases...esp ones that are worn. Is your's leaking? Why are you thinking of going thicker?

75-140 is about as heavy as it gets, AFAIK, Tim. Those Mark's gears a little noisey, are they?

What have you been using ? Is it conditioned for limited slip applications ?

IMO, going heavier will yield marginal results. You need better quality oil. I did some experimenting using convertional mineral base and then switching to a conventional mineral base with limited slip conditioner.

Note: The limited slip conditioner was already in the oil.

Took the noise down a definite notch. Not quiet ... to hear a pin drop, but definitely an improvement.

Somebody else wil have to comment on the synthetics. I'm not a fan of running synthetics in our trucks in *general* unless there is a *specific* reason.

Cahil

Ahhh, so it's because of the Marks gears...

Instead of changing the oil, why not use some noise abatement materials on the floor?

Out of town or would have replied earlier: yes, it's the Mark's Gears. Not horribly loud but wouldn't mind quiting them a bit. Sounds now EXACTLY like a worn t-case gear whine (at least exactly like my brother's fj62 t-case sounds. Someday when I move to the Great Interior Makeover (pull out cargo drawers, decent stereo, etc.) I will add more sound proofing to the truck as well. But I heard that thicker synthetic gear oil will make the t-case a bit quieter than plain ol' 90wt...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom