Max Amp rating for dash knobs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smf

Threads
Hi all, I am adding a taurus fan and was wondering if I could use one of the dash knobs in place of an aftermarket toggle switch. Anyone know the amp rating of the knobs?

:cheers:

I suspect the Taurus fan had a relay on it when you removed it. If not, get a relay and don't worry about it. If you insist on having a manual switch that is. Seems to me you would want to rig up a thermostat to turn the fan on and off.

e-man said:
I suspect the Taurus fan had a relay on it when you removed it. If not, get a relay and don't worry about it. If you insist on having a manual switch that is. Seems to me you would want to rig up a thermostat to turn the fan on and off.

I agree. Defiantly use a relay; DC fans pull a lot of current. Your switch may be OK but if your wire is to small it may burn up and start a fire. Relays are easy to use and you can find them at almost any Part Stores(Look for a general use, 12VDC, 30AMP). Let me know if you need help on how to hook one up.

Yes I have all the correct size wire and a 75 amp relay. I want to keep it simple so I will be controlling it with a switch. I was just wonder what the amp rating was on the knobs, because on the switch I might use, it is rated to 30amps. If the knob is rated to 20amps or something it might be nice to use it to keep the dash nice and clean.

if youre using a relay, and the knob just turns the relay on, youre fine. Pretty sure your relay is only going to draw around 2 amps at the most on the switch side.
For the amp rating on the switches- which knob are you planning on using? either way, I dont think any of them are rated for more than 20 amps. I think maybe the fan is a 20 amp switch, but would need to check the fuse block on a stock Cruiser (I rewired mine..).
As youre already aware, you deffinitely want a relay(relays, since there is high and low on the Taurus fan) for that Taurus fan, and to absolutely not run it through your switch/ knob, and instead off a relay.

cheers-
Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom