Builds matzell's stretched FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been wanting to either build an extended cab FJ45 or a stretched FJ40. After building my FJ45 race car I decided to go with the stretched 40 plan. I searched a lot of builds on here and looked at a nice kit from Metal Shaper. I also looked at Aqualu's kit witch gave me inspiration. I even looked at getting a FJ43 tub but I did not want the rear overhang and I wanted a 100+ wheelbase.

Here is the truck that gave me inspiration. I am not sure who's it is but it has the 10" Aqualu tub on it.

The other is my FJ45 race car.

PAC%20SPRINGS koh 2016.jpg

aqualu stretch.jpg

I decided to take my running and driving 1974 FJ40 into RVA Hotrods and Restorations. What we thought would be a simple cut and stretch turned into something completely different! They tore it down to just the frame and put it on the chassis table to make sure it came out straight. We used a section of an old frame to make the stretch section and blended it in.

fj40 stretch 12.jpg

fj40 stretch 10.jpg

fj40 stretch 8.jpg

fj40 stetch 11.jpg

I was planning on doing a drivetrain swap later down the road but decided this was the best time. Curent drivetrain consist of:

1995 TBI 350
1978 4spd, t-case, axles with mini-truck outer knuckles and brakes
Skyjacker 4" lift
33" BFG All Terrain KO 2's

New drive train will consist of:

2004 Chevy 5.3l, 4L65 out of Suburban with 124k on it
NP241C, drivers drop
Custom HP Dana 60 with Chevy outers 3/4 brakes 35 spline shafts, Yukon 4:56 gears and Zip Locker, narrowed to 64.5" wms
Corporate 14bolt rear, 4:56 gears and Detroit locker, 3/4 ton disc brakes 63" wms
1350 Spicer cv driveshafts
SOA
35" or so tires I am trying to keep it low

fj40 stretch 13.jpg

fj40 stretch 5.jpg

Last edited:
We found a lot of hidden rust and bondo and fiberglass on the body tub. I knew about some but not all of it. After reviewing the situation it was decided that we would build a new tub. Floor pieces are started. Some panels such as the drivers side floorboard and inner rear wheel wells were bought from Iron Pig Off Road. I have admired Lance's FZJ40 but wanted to keep the 40 frame.

fj40 stretch 2.jpg

fj40 stretch 3.jpg

fj40 stretch 7.jpg

fj40 stretch 6.jpg

Never too big..

Not sure on weight. Lighter than I expected. Similar to my 37" treps. I did mount them on steel Allied Beadlocks so that really made them heavy. I actually bought them for my FJ45 for trail riding. My supplier had a great price on them for some reason. I paid less than $1300 for the set of four so it did not take too many leaves off the money tree!

I may stick them under the stretched 40 to see what they look like before I buy tires for that. I really want to keep it low.

Sweet googly moogly that is a good price..

I got some progress pics of the project today. Main bed panel made, inner fenders mocked up and cowl back on frame. Now time to fill in the blanks with a new floor board on pass side, some small patches on the cowl, finish bed and install quarter panels. Sounds easy right?

stretched 40 1.JPG

stretched 40 2.JPG

stretched 40 3.JPG

I think the 40's are going to be too big for this project. They do look good on my 45 though.

maxxis razr 4.jpg

maxxis razr 5.jpg

maxxis razr 6.jpg

I am actually worried about them rubbing! It has a lot of flex with 14" travel shocks.

The stretched 40 is coming along!
You going to Fall Crawl next month?
That would be a good time to try out those 40's on the 45!!

Yes I will be there. I get to try them out in 2 weeks at the VA4WDA trail ride first but not in the rocks like Rausch.

Dates are October 13-14th

Coming along slowly. Frame is back on axles so we can get the rear wheel opening correct since I flipped the rear springs. I am stopping by after work tomorrow so I hope to get more pics. Currently sitting on 35's.

stretched 40 10.jpg

stretched 40 11.jpg

stretched 40 12.JPG

Here are a few pics from tonight. Rear springs are in backwards. I hope to see it settle quite a bit once we get some weight on it. Wheels are 16x6.5" with obout 4.5" bs for reference. I plan to run a 17x8 wheel with 4.5 bs.

stretched 40 14.jpg

stretched 40 15.jpg

stretched 40 16.jpg

stretched 40 17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom