Matubrembrem’s FJ60 build

Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
43
Location
OR
Hi everyone!
I’m putting this up to share the ongoing build of my 60 series, the truck that started my love affair with Toyota Land Cruisers. Thanks for checking it out!
Let’s get started…

AB13EEA5-2447-4C20-AD72-ABCA36841B7E.jpeg
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
43
Location
OR
Alright, little bit of backstory. My Dad and I picked up the 60 my sophomore year of high school. He taught me to drive stick in it and I drove it, wheeled it and wrenched on it for the next 10 years enjoying every minute of it! My trusty steed took me all over the western US from CA, AZ, UT, CO, then finally moved me and my family to OR two years ago. Unfortunately, It was during the move from AZ to OR that the old gal really showed her age. Towing an 8ft Uhaul trailer with all our belongings, in July, over the desert grades outside of Southern CA and the grapevine was almost too much for the tired 2F. The water temp got higher than I’d ever seen and she was smoking from the tailpipe on every descent. When we landed in OR, I started planning for a heart transplant and knocking out all the TLC she needed after nearly a decade in the desert. I figured now was as good a time as any to finally swap in the Toyota diesel of my dreams, a 5-speed and repair all the little spots of body rust that had been slowly growing since I got her…
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
43
Location
OR
Well, it turned out she had a little more body rust than I thought and the subsequent repairs ate up a bit more of the budget than I had planned for. The diesel swap would have to wait…for now. I got lucky and got a deal on a rebuilt 2F for less than what it would have costed me to rebuild my motor, so I pulled the trigger. Then I started buying up parts I’d need for the heart transplant and snagged a brand new H55, t-case rebuild kit and some other goodies to sweeten the truck up because, well, “while I’m in there…”
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
43
Location
OR
Parts acquisition took me a few months and there was some stuff on the “new” motor that I wanted to address before it went in the truck. Mainly, I saw some scoring on the cylinder walls that appeared to be pretty deep and should not have been there given how few miles were on the motor since the rebuild. My father in law and I pulled the head to inspect further and found the scoring wasn’t nearly as bad as it looked originally, so we decided to just run it. A bunch of the valve stem seals were trashed so I replaced those and cleaned up the head. And the oil pressure sender was damaged during shipping so that was replaced.
 

Hojack

Project Snowball❄️
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
4,287
Location
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
Well, it turned out she had a little more body rust than I thought and the subsequent repairs ate up a bit more of the budget than I had planned for. The diesel swap would have to wait…for now. I got lucky and got a deal on a rebuilt 2F for less than what it would have costed me to rebuild my motor, so I pulled the trigger. Then I started buying up parts I’d need for the heart transplant and snagged a brand new H55, t-case rebuild kit and some other goodies to sweeten the truck up because, well, “while I’m in there…”
“While I’m in there”… “snowballs” really quickly🤣
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
43
Location
OR
“While I’m in there”… “snowballs” really quickly🤣
Yeah no kidding! With how much I’m gonna knock out and the cost of it all, plus another kiddo on the way, I couldn’t afford to go diesel now. But I will eventually. Reading through your build a few years ago was a big inspiration for me to want to go diesel. I love what you did with it!
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
43
Location
OR
I’ll rattle off a few more things I did since the end of July to get us up to date. We had a string of wet days back in August which led me to discover the windshield I had replaced back in February was letting water in. The carpet was all wet and funky so I tore it all out. Good thing too, I found some more rust spots beneath the factory sound deadener. I removed it all, scrubbed the floor down with simple green, treated the rust and painted it with POR-15.

98483677-0D0E-4A18-8BC9-6C5FBBB35CCA.jpeg


EC9C115F-B5DD-45C9-AE5D-B81158E96620.jpeg


9A8AA5E4-447C-489E-97AE-161F15D7B7FD.jpeg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom