Mating a 72 tub to a 74 4 spd drivetrain - is it possible and worth the hassle?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

piecemeal

SILVER Star
Threads
Need some advice here. My 74 needs a new (used) tub. Found a 72 used tub in ok shape. Anyone ever try to swap an earlier tub to a later drivetrain and transmission? Worth the effort? OR have a tub semi-within driving distance from me that might better suit my needs (73-78)??

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated....:cool::beer:

What CondeCruiser said; the 72 tub should bolt right up to the 74 frame.

Not for the body hitting anything. Seat monts are different. Brake master cyl. holes holes can be different. Not sure on all the differences

I am wrapping up a 72 tub swap onto a 76 frame with 78 running gear.
The body mounts are fine. Master cylinder mounts were good.
There is nothing else that is a real deal breaker, but mine was not a plug and play for the firewall penetrations (steering column, throttle linkage) or for the dash penetrations.
I had to use the 72 tranny tunnel and modify it for the shifters- the jury is still out on that because I haven't gotten the motor back together yet and the running gear installed.
Quite a few riv- nuts for bits and pieces in the engine compartment, but no major problems.
Seat mounts were different as you noted.
I welded sheet metal on the '72 cowl to eliminate the fresh air vent, as I had none of the hardware to make it functional.
While I don't really have any experience with a '74, as long as you don't mind having a " non stock" truck and aren't thinking you will have a "restored" vehicle, you should be fine. with the tub swap.
That covers the major items as far as I remember now without being in the shop.
Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom