Bandit the HJ47 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ROBsSON

Yeah thats my dad
GOLD Star
Threads
To keep from clogging up chats and everything else went ahead and started a build/record of adventures with this truck. Yesterday we got to bring home this 1984 HJ47 (believed to be Arkana) 3 door flatbeded wonder from down! Found it on marketplace and was able to work with the gentleman to hold it for us until I got back in town from work, drove straight from Columbus Ohio to Asheville NC and brought it home yesterday.

Truck had 332,000 km on it so just little over 200,000 miles
2H with a H41 trans
Body is rough in the rockers and where they meet the floor pan but all seems fixable for now I’ll likely get some POR 15 and a grinder to find the bare metal and just keep it from doing anything else. Maybe tack in a brace for the floor pan to avoid any feet poking through till proper fix can be done.

Frame and everything under the truck look pretty good a lot of that I think I’ll hit with some degreaser and por15 and be fine with that.

As for the motor it doesn’t want to start on its own (gotta hit a small mist of starter fluid) but once it’s running it’s good, if I shut it off I can usually start it up to an hour it seems after I ran it anything more than that needs starter fluid. This is gonna be the biggest challenge I think as I know nothing about Diesel engines so seemed like good idea to buy one….

Trans and tcase seem to be ok 4wd worked in both high and low and I was able to get through all th gears without noticing anything weird about how it was shifting besides initial first gear shutters alittle as I let off the clutch.

So far I have a good feeling about this truck and am really excited to clean it up and see how everything looks after the dirt and mud and mess is out and off of it.

975D77FC-99C0-40EA-963B-3FE645CB3EC8.jpeg

CB4ADD3A-3C0B-4746-80D1-24DECC153C65.jpeg

5C86FBF6-380D-4676-AB62-EC537AFF1701.jpeg

F7D71849-1E4F-490A-8643-6B437E7AB246.jpeg

F39E64AB-A6AC-4FFB-9741-0077534B795F.jpeg

That looks a lot better than I thought it was, makes it an even better deal. Outstanding! Will follow the build.

That looks a lot better than I thought it was, makes it an even better deal. Outstanding! Will follow the build.
Agreed. Looking good.

thanks guys and enjoy the show! I’m hoping to get the initial cleaning and maybe some fluids done and maybe some tires to be able to go do a real road test that’s faster that 15mph.
Heard my dog “helping get the junk off the truck”
8607ED7E-0F88-4DC6-A117-ECCEEFB77716.jpeg

Guess she found a chew toy.

@GLTHFJ60 i may have watched a video or two on some guys doing it in Australia….
Aaannndddd might still have a CT26 turbo laying around haha but I do want to get the motor back in good running shape so that’ll be a way down the road goal once I see what driving it feels like.

Rinsed off the outside to get just some of the tree sap and miscellaneous off then realized I didn’t have any soap so moved to the interior to start with pulling the front seats to see what all was in the truck. Found a good deal of trash, parts and spiders. 2 window crank handles, water pump, exterior handle, fuel and oil filter, and some miscellaneous fuses and bulbs.

Seats had been recovered a few years back so they cleaned up really well luckily so far no big rips.

Floor was nasty lot of mud and oil built up in the rear and around the corners of the cab. Really cleaned up well though seems to have a really good and well done liner, I say we’ll done because besides the driver side floor pan right by the rocker it held up amazing. While poking around the rust and pulling bits off I found a bit I could pull up and it exposed nice clean fresh steel so really happy to see that under it vs trapped and festering rust in a bunch of spots.

51C5C385-7169-40BE-83FA-0B2006D64BA6.jpeg

003B6071-48D1-4D56-876B-0B0FAFAFB24C.jpeg

03C49C10-A72B-4215-B515-FA1043E957F0.jpeg

C1F6ACC8-0876-4A06-8AAD-22F95C0236F1.jpeg

8436F04C-3378-44EC-B521-C6DECF843F33.jpeg

Very nice. Congrats.

Motor running as I watched has a leak on the #5 injector line tightened it up seems to have stopped hoping that’s all it is but I do have a pretty good leak coming from the timing cover ~5 drips every few seconds

Careful with that supra ct26. If memory serves its an oddball out of all the ct26 that yota used and may not spool very fast on that 2H.

Somewhere I've got a sheet detailing all the ct yota turbos and their various differences.

Other than that, that cruiser is awesome.

Oh and a rugged truck like that deserves some boggers on it.

thanks guys and enjoy the show! I’m hoping to get the initial cleaning and maybe some fluids done and maybe some tires to be able to go do a real road test that’s faster that 15mph.
Heard my dog “helping get the junk off the truck”
View attachment 3008967
Guess she found a chew toy.

@GLTHFJ60 i may have watched a video or two on some guys doing it in Australia….
Aaannndddd might still have a CT26 turbo laying around haha but I do want to get the motor back in good running shape so that’ll be a way down the road goal once I see what driving it feels like.
In Australia, they just tap one of them Gumtrees and use the sap to fix that tire, all while wearing flipflops. Thats a good tire right there.

Well it’s been on the back burner for a while lots of life all at once but got the truck moved over to my garage today and ready to start getting to work with the goal of being done a week before Relic run!

This is my initial list nothing in a specific order but ready to get started here I’ve got some parts ready to go so definitely enough to keep me busy for the next few weeks!

-Brakes on all 4 corners
-timing cover oil leak
-full fluid swap
-vacuum lines
-fix vacuum pump/leak
-new glow plugs
-compression test
-injector cleaning
-bore scope fuel tanks
-new fuel
-new tires
-fix door handles
-rust repair
-new front drive shaft
-knuckle rebuild

Got the truck to the house today battery was just dead dead but of course the AAA guys box died after we got it jumped at the house so hopefully an hour on the charger I can get it started and moved in the garage.

4E2364B7-2C10-423B-A215-5378854C0C9C.jpeg

4E4355E3-65C9-4313-86D6-4EE6DF7D62FE.jpeg

Its soooooo Be-Uteiful.

@stevezero thanks man! I’m looking forward to getting this road worthy!

This weekend was pretty straight forward, lots of cleaning and getting the crap that had been stored in the truck (rat packed) cleaned out and the dirt and trash out of it. Got the tires off the front to see what I was in for when I do the knuckles and test fit my spare set of tundra wheels to have some decent rollers on the truck.

DE0D00BB-D7BB-4B5A-A529-CB29FF297344.jpeg

Not too bad but some sand blasting and paining will be in order for sure.
1D9510FF-9708-4489-A0B8-398553B5D21A.jpeg

Not the best look much prefer the originals or even some steel wheels but for just having them in the garage they will do for now.

This week I’m going to try and get a good compression test done I bought a diesel compression tester so hopefully we’ll see some good numbers once I figure out what needs to be done to make that happen.

I don’t know anything about diesels so this will be a learn as you go kinda deal as I’m sure many are familiar with, but I did notice it runs fairly smooth start up has a decent amount of white smoke, but as it runs it It kinda clears up and only gets to be noticeable again if I really give it the throttle. Going to be the next thing I look into on this for sure, hopefully nothing to bad and that the compression numbers check out on and I can focus more many other things the truck needs prior to relic run.

60D9F8B2-3A75-4232-A305-4CCCBBCCAD6C.jpeg

Some good news today got the compression test done numbers solid across the board! FSM calls for 398 everything just about where it should be. Glow plugs seem to look ok no melted tips, but since I have new ones I figure I’ll toss those in as well as cleaning up all the connections.

61BDEA78-F737-4E35-B037-7C8D664D0F6C.jpeg

Found a small hole in the exhaust just before the test got alittle worried when I saw smoke in the engine bay but looks like this was the culprit. JB weld fixes everything right?

so Relic Run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom