Master switch replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone on here had to place their Master Switch on the drivers door that operates the power windows ? Mine won't operate the drivers window or the rear right side passenger windo. Using the FSM I was able to confirm that the window motors both still function well. The RR passenger door has a plactic piece inside (worth about .05 cents) that is obviously worn out, but the drivers window switch look okay, I cleaned all the contacts in the switch but no luck, so I'm pretty sure the unit will need to replaced as well. How much will a new master switch cost or any other ideas on trying to salvage the old master switch. My LC is a 1996.

Thanks

Zach

some people have had luck cleaning the contacts but that did not last long for me so I had to replace it, IIRC is was about $180, call CruiserDan

zklebe said:
Has anyone on here had to place their Master Switch on the drivers door that operates the power windows ? Mine won't operate the drivers window or the rear right side passenger windo. Using the FSM I was able to confirm that the window motors both still function well. The RR passenger door has a plactic piece inside (worth about .05 cents) that is obviously worn out, but the drivers window switch look okay, I cleaned all the contacts in the switch but no luck, so I'm pretty sure the unit will need to replaced as well. How much will a new master switch cost or any other ideas on trying to salvage the old master switch. My LC is a 1996.

Thanks

Zach
I actually have a spare second hand that I could sell you for a lot less if you can wait a couple weeks.

I ordered new DS and PS switches to get auto up/down for both sides so the DS and the PS are fine.

Let me know.

some good luck

Thanks for the offer on the spare parts, but luckily I finally cleaned the contacts well enough that the DS window switch is working perfectly. I will still have to replace the RR switch - but that won't be near as painful ($$$) as the master switch.

A word of encouragement for anybody else that develops problems with the "master switch" on the drivers door - stick with it and clean those contacts as best you possibly can - the smallest amount of carbon build up will affect the operation of those switches.

Zach

Ah ha! You mean I can swap out a switch and get auto down on the PS? Please tell me it's plug and play!

the master switch panel is about $150

the door switchs are $30 or so each

SunTzuMD said:
Ah ha! You mean I can swap out a switch and get auto down on the PS? Please tell me it's plug and play!

You can search and find how guys added this to their current switch...or maybe that was just auto up on the DS... :confused:

SunTzuMD said:
Yes Sirree 84810-32070 passenger side window switch $36.82 and 84820-35010 drivers master control switch $184.30. I haven't installed them yet - waiting for the truck to be returned from the body shop - but they both clearly have "Auto" on them. I hope the DS is both Auto up and down and the PS the same.

I replaced the master control panel and the PS switch with the Auto up/down switches I had ordered.

They are not auto up/down much to my disappointment. I'm sure there is a Toyota part that the standard ones can be switched with for Auto up/down.

I hope. Any ideas anyone?

I looked into the auto switches from a 4 runner that have the asme pattern and external apearance as our switches except have auto for both DS and PS, problem is they use limit switches in the motors that the LC window motors do not have, our master switch instead watches for a curent rise of the motor and when it see it figures the motor has stalled and cuts off the power.

this was discussed in more detail in another thread.

RavenTai said:
I looked into the auto switches from a 4 runner that have the asme pattern and external apearance as our switches except have auto for both DS and PS, problem is they use limit switches in the motors that the LC window motors do not have, our master switch instead watches for a curent rise of the motor and when it see it figures the motor has stalled and cuts off the power.

this was discussed in more detail in another thread.
Thanks. I read the other thread but it was not entirely conclusive. It's a sad day when you can't get what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom