master cylinder question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i am getting a 4 inch lift on my fj40 and 35s and now that ive got them i want to upgrade my mastercylinder to something a bit more powerfull.. or do i need to? if just a stock replacement one is good or not... does anyone know what one that would be good or a place that i could look at them? thank you very much for your help!

Kurt

make sure you look to see if it is 4 wheel disc or disc/drum if you are running drums all around you need a master for that set up, so stock is probably good enough. i went 4 wheel disc a couple years back and used a FZJ80 4 wheel disc master without ABS so no need for the proportioning valve. other then that keep the stock drums adjusted and you should not have a problem. good luck!

would a disc or drum cyl. really be that different? just wondering...

i can see an abs setup would be different but i am lost on how it would differ for the two( drum/disc), although i can see as how 8 wheel cyl's would need more fluid to them and the master would need to push more, but thats what he wants? right more fluid to the brakes for more stopping power and quicker stops... just my thoughts .. .i'm asking cause i don't know the answer...

food for thought

i have a 71 fj40 with discs up front and 36" super swampers and a standard 40 master...its so hard to stop and during a panic situation it would be scary IMHO, i'm switching to a 80 series non abs master cyl. and putting a mini truck brake booster that i'm getting for freeeee.....

just my setup ....hope it helps dude

it has to do with valves that are in the master cylinders they control the brake bias, disc brakes dont require much if any pressure kept on the pads to work, were drums require a slight pressure aplied all the time and thats what the valves do in the master cylinders, read up in the disc conversions in the tech section, i studdied them for what seemed like months. i read every thing i could find and then read it again before making a choice.

i went with the 4 wheel disc setup as mentioned before with the FZJ 80 master, and used 94 4runner with V6 calipers up front, 4 40mm pistons instead of the stock 2 25mm and 2 38mm pistons and used the caddy calipers in the rear with the emergency brake cable brackets and you would not believe how much better it stops even in snow. and i run 35's it can just about stop on a dime and in a straight line too and no more adjusting the brakes ever! one of the best mods i ever did.

do a search you will find lots of info, it has been covered over and over.

86 Supra for 4W disk brakes.
For front disks and rear drums, 92-94 Toyota V6 4X4 pickup.
Both will bolt right up.

SizzleChest said:
will the FZJ80 m/c work with rear drums?

If it is for 4W discs, you would need to add a residual valve, which can be had from the likes of Summit. The one I saw was installed in the line going to the rear circuit. The residual valve keeps the return springs on the brake shoes from squeezing the fluid out of the cylinders and back into the reservoir. There is no return spring on any disc setup therefore no need for a residual valve. Disc circuits must have the residual valve removed to allow the pad to release.
I would install a proportioning valve in any rear disc conversion.

GL

Ed

so which would be the best m/c for my application (1978 w/32x11.5s, stock brakes setup and an ambition to someday soa with 35s and rear discs) oem, 92-94 V6, or FZJ80 with residual valve?

OEM for your truck should be just fine.

sizzle, i would get the 80 mc with the residual valve 'cause when you swap to rear disks, you can just remove the valve. you'll be set up well that way.

more input plz. i'm about to buy one. will the 80 seies m/c be just as good as the original oem? no problems using it with an original booster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom