MASSIVE sunroof water leak... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Edited for "forum correctness". Humorectomy performed.

My sunroof leaked whilst going thru a mechanical car wash. The seats, A-pillars, floors, kick panels, driver, etc. became quite damp.

I looked in the FSM to find the routing of the drain tubes. I did not find a schematic of the tubes in the FSM. Is it possible that the water shot in under the seal???

Brad,

FWIW, I took my DS (left side) fender flare off a few weeks ago to get it painted, and I recall seeing a drain hole on the lower right side of the fender panel (typically hidden by the fender flare). When I saw it I thought, humm.. must be the sunroof drain these guys have been talking about getting plugged up all the time. Not for sure, but it looked like something that could be the something your looking for.

:beer:
Rookie2

Brad:

A quick response - The only time I've had a similar experience is then I really thought my sunroof was closed, but it was open a crack = big shower. Double and triple check. Do some more searcing I'll see if I can find some of my old posts (do a search for 365 days with key words like sunroof, sun roof, fire :-\, etc). It could also be the adjustment - don't know anything about this, but there was a recent post on someone doing this and it seemed to work (less noise)

If you open the sun roof and look in the forward corners, you should see smallish 'pencil sized' holes. There are also two in the rear. The frnts run down the A pillar and then into the panel to the rear of the frnt wheels. The rears run down some other pillar (B? C maybe?) - you can see one of them in the DS cubby in the rear. If you crawl under the truck you should see the hoses exit under the truck in the rear.

Cheers, Hugh

Thanks Brad! That exchange with C-Dan was before I turned into a cranky old f@rt who picks on newbies just because their two-thousand-five-hundred watt CB warms the c0ckles of my heart, blasts through my speakers, and shuts down my truck at red lights. :D

-B-

Brad,

This is the link to Hugh's original post where he had a fire in the kick panel caused by corrosion in an electrical connector close to the LF sunroof drain. Here is a link to a recent thread where another list member is struggling with a leak similar to yours (though not as bad.)

Good Luck!
-B-

Thats kind of wierd, weren't we just comparing sunroof heights the other day??? Kind of ironic.

Let me know if you need a hand. I don't think I have anything going on tomorrow after work. If I don't, I'll stop by :D

Nick

Rookie,

Thanks, I've gotta take my flares off to paint them, so I'll take a look in there and see if I can find the tubes. They do seem to be draining, I pour water in the front corners, and it pours out the pinch weld seam where it's supposed to.

Hugh,

The shower effect is nice huh!?! ::) I've never seen that much water come thru a sunroof, open or closed. I'm gonna have to monkey with the adjustment and see if I can improve the seal. It does have a nice wind leak. When the "Wind noise" post came up, I recommended my usual sunroof treatment with cleaning up all the rubber and applying the Shin-Etsu silicone grease. It worked excellent on the door seals, but that felt sunroof seal is another animal completely. I'm tempted to just have C-Dan send me a new panel, and be done with it for another 10 years.

I've had a car burn before too. NOT a nice smell. The dealer had if for 5 monthes, and the total repair cost was $35,000. It should have totalled the car, but they were already way too far in replacing electrical parts to back out. Carbeques=Bad.

-B-,

Thanks for the laughs. Almost had to slap on the Depends, I was laughin so hard. Thanks for the links too, I'll start my search again.

Nick,

Just dropped the cruiser off with Over the Hill 4x4 this morning to have my "140k" service done. He's got a big fat laundry list of stuff to do, and will probably have it for a week. I'm off to Longbeach CA for work and won't be back till next Tuesday. Maybe catch up with you on the following weekend. Thanks for the offer. :cheers:

Brad, reminds me of one time I drove my A8 thru a car wash. The windows started to fog so I turned on the defroster. The second the fan came on I had water shooting out every vent front and rear. I had a drain plug for the fresh air vent plugged. I vac'd out 2-3 gallons of water and then rented a heavy duty dehumidifier and ran it for about a week. I got anoher 1/2 gallon or so. Ugly very Ugly.

andre

Hey I think we need to look at getting the beer crowd together for an "easy" wheel in the Tillamook forest

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=10472;start=msg93965#msg93965 date=1074793092]
Brad, reminds me of one time I drove my A8 thru a car wash. The windows started to fog so I turned on the defroster. The second the fan came on I had water shooting out every vent front and rear. I had a drain plug for the fresh air vent plugged. I vac'd out 2-3 gallons of water and then rented a heavy duty dehumidifier and ran it for about a week. I got anoher 1/2 gallon or so. Ugly very Ugly.

andre

Hey I think we need to look at getting the beer crowd together for an "easy" wheel in the Tillamook forest
[/quote]

Hey Andre,

That sounds even more "twilight zone" than my sunroof flood. Tillamook forrest sounds good to me. :beer: afterwards of course..... :D

Know any of your Audi buddies who'd like to buy a heavily modded TT??

Brad

[quote author=Tenncrusher link=board=2;threadid=10472;start=msg93971#msg93971 date=1074793831]
PM me if you wish. I have been down the same road and i can save you time and money. Will
[/quote]

PM'd ya. :cheers:

Is anyone as dull as me and had the sunroof open with snow on the roof, add a little brakes and that is one cold biotch, Brad. :D :D

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=10472;start=msg93987#msg93987 date=1074795630]
Is anyone as dull as me and had the sunroof open with snow on the roof, add a little brakes and that is one cold biotch, Brad. :D :D
[/quote]

Brad....

Nice! ;)

Brad

I would like to have a bit of snow here :D

Mike

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=10472;start=msg93965#msg93965 date=1074793092]
[/quote]

Andre,
I'd be for getting out! I'll have to see if I can talk the wife into taking "her" rig out though...

In her eyes it's one thing taking it to portland brewing :beer:, and another going to brown's camp :( I don't understand ???

Later,
Nick

Brad (the Shortbus one)

Guess you know how to get the fender flare off??

If not, across the top of the flare there are about 4 or 5 metal clips that are bolted through the finder. You can get to them from the port holes on the engine side. Need small hands, long skinny arms and a long wrench to get to all of them from there without having to move a couple of the things around the port holes. The rear portion of the panel has three snap-on little sh!tters. You pretty much have to pull and break break them off, so count on replacing them. The front end is attached with one or two screws that you will see.

Later,
Rookie2

Nick, Brad, I'll look around I found some maps that listed trail difficulty. I'll look around, the range from easy to very difficult. :beer:'s would be required afterword.

andre

Andre,

I'll looked around, and found that post very difficult to understand. Code or to many :beer:'s beforeword??

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom