Massive steering dead zone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Since I bought my '93 with about 232k miles on it, it's had this huge dead zone in the steering particularly on left turns. When I turn the wheel to the left there's a solid 3-4 inches of rotation abut the steering wheel where it just has zero steering authority, which is particularly dangerous on the freeway.

Any ideas as to what it might be? Steering stabilizer needs replacement maybe?

Thanks in advance

Lack of preload on the input section of the steering box is usually a big contributing factor for excessively loose steering. You cannot adjust this without tearing the box down.

That being said, every component in the system contributes. From the steering box, through the tie rod ends, knuckle and wheel bearings, every bit of play adds up. If the problem came on relatively suddenly it could even be loose parts, such as the steering arms, which can indicate an upcoming catastrophe.

Lack of preload on the input section of the steering box is usually a big contributing factor for excessively loose steering. You cannot adjust this without tearing the box down.

That being said, every component in the system contributes. From the steering box, through the tie rod ends, knuckle and wheel bearings, every bit of play adds up. If the problem came on relatively suddenly it could even be loose parts, such as the steering arms, which can indicate an upcoming catastrophe.

steering box adjustment that is avalible on the truck is #1. Then wheel bearing adjustment being off #2. Then ties for the rest- knuckles tight, tie rod ends, track bar dishing replacement.... There is a rag joint some say there’s is that I’ve never seen on that is that but it could happen. As these age more.

THIS! I know because after tearing apart my steering box, I did not tighten the bearing down to my mark. I was a few turns off. I reassembled the steering box and connected the linkage. My dead zone was a half turn of the steering wheel. I was completely baffled but knew it was related to the steering box. I opened it up again, found my problem, and tighten preload down to hard resistance and lined up my marks. Steering was perfect afterwards.

FSM states that 40mm (1.57") of dead zone is normal.

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know of a good walk through on steering teardown/rebuild?

If your truck is that old, I would start with the easy stuff. Replace all of the tie rod ends and make sure that your wheel bearings are tight. I did this and it tightened my truck up from about 4" of dead zone to about 1.5 inches. When I was in there I found a loose wheel bearing and all the tie rods were shot. I know I could make it better by getting into the steering box but I haven't bothered.

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know of a good walk through on steering teardown/rebuild?
This is what I followed to teardown my steering box... 3 times.

Bearing with factory preload marks.
1600369065420.png

reach out to redhead steering gears. Great company to deal with. $395 for the rebuild. 1 year warranty

Before you jump in too deep into repairs, make sure that the tie rod isn't contacting and getting hung up on the radius arms. A friend had almost the exact same symptoms and that's all it was. Tie rod was dragging on the radius arms and steering wheel input wouldn't do anything, then all the sudden it would turn. I suspect this could be the issue especially since it's only happening while turning left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom