Massive dilemma LX600 F sport or Keep the 21 Heritage edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found this in Motortrend Tundra review:

“We were impressed by how well the long-wheelbase Platinum tackled our off-road obstacles and surprised the TRD Pro model wasn’t significantly more capable—and really surprised the transmission overheated on the off-road course. Twice.”
I'd say the average is a 50+ upper middle class and beyond daily driver or extra vehicle for specific use needs or vacation/secondary home vehicle. That said, I fall into the 30-something male without kids category which I assure you is the minority and for that matter I imagine the majority of members here don't fall in line with the main demographic of owners either as we are actually modifying and using these vehicles beyond road use.
I am not sure about the average either, I bought my first LC at 35 that was a 78 FJ40. At 38 I bought my first 2015 200 series that was a demo. I would agree with the middle upper class comment. The thing about land cruisers is that they are extremely reliable with minimal maintenance and while they are expensive they hold their resale value as good if not better than any other car in the market…

It’s usually 50 year old doctors or their wives. Also, it’s considered stealth wealth vs a Mercedes or a caddy. My sister in law is dermatologist. Been driving the same LC since 2013.
Hey, my wife is a Doctor and she’s 50.:D I’m the so called “wife” now. ;)

Everyone’s responses pretty much line up at a surface level with what I see around Dallas/Ft Worth which is mostly older guys. (50+, maybe a late 40’s in there)

@Tex68w sounds like we are in the minority haha

Everyone’s responses pretty much line up at a surface level with what I see around Dallas/Ft Worth which is mostly older guys. (50+, maybe a late 40’s in there)

@Tex68w sounds like we are in the minority haha

To be fair, DFW is a weird bubble. It's like 100 miles east to west. In the middle you have cities and suburbs, and on the fringes you have ranches and cattle and oil. Source: Lived in DFW for almost 15 years.

To be fair, DFW is a weird bubble. It's like 100 miles east to west. In the middle you have cities and suburbs, and on the fringes you have ranches and cattle and oil. Source: Lived in DFW for almost 15 years.
Preaching to the choir here. I’m a native wanting to move one day.

Preaching to the choir here. I’m a native wanting to move one day.

Texas is a really special state. I loved my time there, have loved ones and friends that keep us coming back. But the lack of public land and 4 proper seasons wasn't sustainable long term for us.

Bought mine new, when I was in my mid-40s. I'm now in the next decade. :) I appreciate the finer things in life, but like to be discrete about it. Enjoy knowing that I, and a relatively small number of fellow enthusiasts, appreciate the LC for all that it is, but that the vast majority of the world have no idea - and thankfully have no idea what I paid for it!

Bought mine new, when I was in my mid-40s. I'm now in the next decade. :) I appreciate the finer things in life, but like to be discrete about it. Enjoy knowing that I, and a relatively small number of fellow enthusiasts, appreciate the LC for all that it is, but that the vast majority of the world have no idea - and thankfully have no idea what I paid for it!
Highlanders only go for around $40-50K, so most people won't think you're rich. :)

I bought a new 2006 LX-470 in my mid 30's and the new 2020 Land Cruiser in my early 50's. Between those, I had a 2008 Highlander, 2014 Range Rover, 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and 2017 G63 (all new), all of those vehicles prior to the current Land Cruiser held their values pretty well, but I'm hoping that I have the urge to get something new out of my system for a while now. I only owned the 2014 Range Rover for maybe 6 months - I should have gone with the G550 that I knew I really wanted, but the adjustable suspension height on the Range Rover seemed like a big plus for my short, elderly mom. As it turns out, the G550's running boards worked out fine for her. Range Rovers were so hard to get at that point that I pretty much got 100% of my money back trading it in at the Mercedes dealer. The Range Rover had so many issues even in only 6 months of ownership; what a huge disappointment that thing was.

The Range Rover had so many issues even in only 6 months of ownership; what a huge disappointment that thing was.
People who drive vehicles in this segment are making the statement, “look at what I can afford to drive.”

But Range Rover owners are making a second statement in addition to the first: “look at what I can afford to piss money away on constantly repairing.” 🤣

I think there is an interesting cross section of folks that choose to purchase this type of vehicle. Personally I’m turning 50, bought my 2013 5 years ago it was 5 years old and had 50K miles on it. I usually buy and hold vehicles for a while. I could afford new, but hate to waste $$ on depreciation if I can help it. I am not an off road enthusiast, I am only off the pavement when it gets me where I need to go. This is my DD but is primarily used for road trips up and down the west coast. Aside from abysmal gas mileage, it is the perfect rig for me. I can afford a lot of gas versus maintenance. Aesthetically I would prefer something more like an 80 but 🤷🏽‍♂️

Highlanders only go for around $40-50K, so most people won't think you're rich. :)

I bought a new 2006 LX-470 in my mid 30's and the new 2020 Land Cruiser in my early 50's. Between those, I had a 2008 Highlander, 2014 Range Rover, 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and 2017 G63 (all new), all of those vehicles prior to the current Land Cruiser held their values pretty well, but I'm hoping that I have the urge to get something new out of my system for a while now. I only owned the 2014 Range Rover for maybe 6 months - I should have gone with the G550 that I knew I really wanted, but the adjustable suspension height on the Range Rover seemed like a big plus for my short, elderly mom. As it turns out, the G550's running boards worked out fine for her. Range Rovers were so hard to get at that point that I pretty much got 100% of my money back trading it in at the Mercedes dealer. The Range Rover had so many issues even in only 6 months of ownership; what a huge disappointment that thing was.
But they look great! ;)

Re: Highlander - that is indeed what some of the uninitiated believe it is. And I think that is a very good thing! It's positively non-descript appearance-wise. Unlike LR/RRs which look incredible in comparison.

I think there is an interesting cross section of folks that choose to purchase this type of vehicle. Personally I’m turning 50, bought my 2013 5 years ago it was 5 years old and had 50K miles on it. I usually buy and hold vehicles for a while. I could afford new, but hate to waste $$ on depreciation if I can help it. I am not an off road enthusiast, I am only off the pavement when it gets me where I need to go. This is my DD but is primarily used for road trips up and down the west coast. Aside from abysmal gas mileage, it is the perfect rig for me. I can afford a lot of gas versus maintenance. Aesthetically I would prefer something more like an 80 but 🤷🏽‍♂️
Agree on the looks front! They seem to become blander-looking with every iteration. Would prefer something more retro-looking.

The dealership just called me and the vehicle will arrive next week. I have a problem with that as I will be in PHX from Feb.6-13 for work. I fly home the night of the 13 after an event. I am home for the 14th quick reminder that’s Valentine’s Day and fly to Chicago on Wednesday. Question do I let her go drive it without me, or wait until Valentine’s Day and go together. I am not liking how this is coming together either way actually….

The dealership just called me and the vehicle will arrive next week. I have a problem with that as I will be in PHX from Feb.6-13 for work. I fly home the night of the 13 after an event. I am home for the 14th quick reminder that’s Valentine’s Day and fly to Chicago on Wednesday. Question do I let her go drive it without me, or wait until Valentine’s Day and go together. I am not liking how this is coming together either way actually….
Going to test drive it on Valentine's Day sounds like a sure way to get cornered into trading in for the new model :). But it seems wise for you to have a chance to kick the tires, ride in and drive it, and have an informed say in the decision. If you absolutely hate the LX600 after trying it out, that's a lot of money tied up in something you can't stand. I'm single (so what do I know LOL), but if I were married, I would want any major purchases to be a team decision. Depends on what sort of agreements you and your wife have and how much you trust her to make a decision you'll also be comfortable with.

After as long as you've had to wait for them, you can't ask them to hold it for you till you're back from Chicago??

My wife knows how much I’m into cars and probably wouldn’t even consider driving it without me , and I have a feeling you’re in the same boat. The excitement of doing it when you get back on V-Day would be fun. What else is there to do on a Tuesday V-Day?!

I've never been a fan of VD. Valentine's day either. Do what you can live with. I am sure the dealer would sit on it until 2/15 if that works for your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom