Massive dilemma LX600 F sport or Keep the 21 Heritage edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you have the capital to drive the 600 for a bit and decide.

At MSRP - you likely will be in the money if you decide to dump it. DDing helps highlight positives and annoyances that are not perceived on a test drive.

Call me a purist, but…

ED5CAB1F-0A7C-4D8B-9FFE-950632D511B5.jpeg

Can't speak for others but I, for one, bought my LC200 new. Contemplated the LX, but was simply too drawn to the heritage of the LC badge. It helped that my father owned an FJ back in the 1980s!
I get misty eyed when I think of my Landcruiser, it was a bucket list thing and I couldn’t appreciate my LX at all without having owned a Landcruiser.

*First World problems not for the poors lol
I'll stop polluting this thread after this and let it get back to 200 tech.

When I read threads like this, it reminds me that I am very fortunate to enjoy my land cruiser despite not being in the target demographic segment.

OP, good luck with your dilemma. Sounds like you can't go wrong, no matter the choice.

When I read threads like this, it reminds me that I am very fortunate to enjoy my land cruiser despite not being in the target demographic segment.

OP, good luck with your dilemma. Sounds like you can't go wrong, no matter the choice.

Agreed, I really should be running around in a diesel one-ton lol, or at least I'm sure that's how some would see me haha.

Thank you. I’ll keep everyone posted when the LX gets here…

Thank you. I’ll keep everyone posted when the LX gets here…
At this point I would say the majority Of the thread 70% or so said to keep the LC 200 series. This 70% is just a guess after reading everything. That’s is the way I am leaning but again we will go drive the LX in the next two weeks…I will post pictures of that as well and let you know what my wife says…

Since you apparently have the means…and there is a wait period…and LX600 is lackluster………why not get a Mercedes G-wagen? Get something that is original, not something based on a global platform?

LX600 looks like a bloated GX with a flat ass. G-wagen looks unique and timeless.

At this point I would say the majority Of the thread 70% or so said to keep the LC 200 series. This 70% is just a guess after reading everything. That’s is the way I am leaning but again we will go drive the LX in the next two weeks…I will post pictures of that as well and let you know what my wife says…
I just realized your forum/avatar pic is of the same truck my father used to own, and in the same color scheme. My mother nicknamed it "The Yellow Fever" because she maintained that it drove so poorly (due to heavy, non-power assisted steering) that she'd break out in a sweat every time she drove it. My father, on the other hand, loved it. Used to take it out in inclement weather in the UK to rescue motorists that couldn't get up icy hills.

Since you apparently have the means…and there is a wait period…and LX600 is lackluster………why not get a Mercedes G-wagen? Get something that is original, not something based on a global platform?

LX600 looks like a bloated GX with a flat ass. G-wagen looks unique and timeless.
I have looked at G wagons and considered them; however, as I stated before I don’t like the Lexus badge over the Toyota badge. The G wagon would be worse, and the maintenance on a G wagon is crazy especially here in CO when we are going up and down I 70 20-30 times a year. The brakes wear out fast. I do think my wife would love the G wagon but I just can’t do it….

I think the LX looks "fine" personally; a bit more bland than the outgoing one, but certainly more interesting than my LC.

That said, while I do generally like the pedigree of the G-wagen, I'm very skeptical of the newer models' reliability. The AMG version, for example, features the same engine in my wife's E-wagon, and while it's been OK, we've had issues. No way that thing is in the same realm of reliability as the LC. I'd also suggest the fit/finish of a modern Merc is not on par with the LX or LC. My LC with 105K miles is rock solid; no rattles or squeaks. Had both on the AMG from new. Mercedes is not what it used to be, that's for sure. At least in my experience. And on top of all of that, there's the "image" of the G-wagon in the States. It's at the other end of the "look at me" spectrum vs the LC or even LX.

Again, love the pedigree. If I "had" to buy one I think it'd be a non-AMG with the least amount of exterior bling and the smallest wheels I could find. Coupled with the longest extended warranty known to man. I wish they'd introduce a more understated one in the US. :)

Agreed, I really should be running around in a diesel one-ton lol, or at least I'm sure that's how some would see me haha.

You both clearly are of good taste 🤌

I just realized your forum/avatar pic is of the same truck my father used to own, and in the same color scheme. My mother nicknamed it "The Yellow Fever" because she maintained that it drove so poorly (due to heavy, non-power assisted steering) that she'd break out in a sweat every time she drove it. My father, on the other hand, loved it. Used to take it out in inclement weather in the UK to rescue motorists that couldn't get up icy hills.
Yes, my kids love that thing and call it chicken. Mine is a 1980 and has power steering from the factory so not that hard to turn it. Chicken is going to get some work done to it this year, sniper kit to help with elevation air fuel levels and a new dizzy. The truck is basically all original with the exception of the interior, and it is starting to need some body work. 🤦‍♂️

I have looked at G wagons and considered them; however, as I stated before I don’t like the Lexus badge over the Toyota badge. The G wagon would be worse, and the maintenance on a G wagon is crazy especially here in CO when we are going up and down I 70 20-30 times a year. The brakes wear out fast. I do think my wife would love the G wagon but I just can’t do it….
$3K for just front brakes on my wife's AMG. Steel brakes. $20K plus labor for a full set of ceramic brakes for a G-wagen - which have to be the most pointless option on a G-wagen!

Have had all the exhaust baffles replaced under warranty - would have cost thousands outside warranty. Had the interior mouse pad replaced under warranty - would have been $1K without. Had a front headlight replaced under warranty - dealer suggested $4k with install w/o. Had a radiator replaced under warranty. Had various electronic issues fixed under warranty (kinda). The list goes on, and on. And apparently I got one of the "good ones" per the dealer.

Happy wife, happy life. I'd take delivery on the LX600 and let the boss make the call if she doesn't like it. 200 vs. 300, I'd be fine with either, personally.

All interesting discussions. I always buy Land Cruisers and I always buy new. The one time I bought a new LX570 I sold it a year later and bought a Land Cruiser. Why? Simplicity. I do not want the features and complexity the LX brings to the table over an LC. All that being said, I don’t buy LCs for heritage, or a name plate, or anything other than reliability and durability as a tool to get me where I need to (and get me back). I like that I can get 25+ years of reliability out of my vehicle. I have 35 years on my FJ60 and 25 years on my 100. Almost 8 years on the 200. Why buy a vehicle for durability and then trade it in after 2 years? In that case I would buy a Range Rover and sleep soundly knowing I would not have it long enough to encounter a real problem. A lot nicer than either a LC or an LX.

But that’s just me. Enjoy whatever you buy.

You both clearly are of good taste 🤌
The other thing not many have mentioned is going from the V8 bullet proof motor To a twin turbo 6 cylinder. I have made that switch in a gen 1 raptor to a gen 2 and while it was OK, I am in a TRX supercharge V8 now as my daily driver, I couldnt stand the sound of the gen 2 raptor it sound like hair dryers outside the car. The exhaust is not as healthy (I know talk about the word MPG vehicle out there but it’s fun). I have heard from the guys at Slee that the twin turbo 6 is a great motor with more power and torque but it is still a concern for me…

$3K for just front brakes on my wife's AMG. Steel brakes. $20K plus labor for a full set of ceramic brakes for a G-wagen - which have to be the most pointless option on a G-wagen!

Have had all the exhaust baffles replaced under warranty - would have cost thousands outside warranty. Had the interior mouse pad replaced under warranty - would have been $1K without. Had a front headlight replaced under warranty - dealer suggested $4k with install w/o. Had a radiator replaced under warranty. Had various electronic issues fixed under warranty (kinda). The list goes on, and on. And apparently I got one of the "good ones" per the dealer.
Exactly….. I am not doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom