Massachusetts Land Cruisers Rust (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m going to look at a 100 that was in Massachuttes for for 3 years of its life and then went West to a dry state.
Does anyone here know anything about Massachuttes salt on roads and what affect it may have on the 100?

Thank you!

This is a 2019 Tacoma from Massachusetts:
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 5.48.23 PM.png

Massachusetts definitely salts the roads, like any state in New England. You might get lucky and it was actually washed often/taken care of. My Lexus ES was owned in CT for ten years and showed no rust.

3 years can do serious damage if the truck was used in the snow a lot and the owner didn't get the undercarriage washed after. Problem with our trucks is, the frame is boxed, there are holes in it that lets the salt/chemical get inside and it just sits there, rotting it from the inside out. I'd ask for a lot of pics of the undercarriage and post it on here for us to see then we can tell you.

What do you guys think?

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

My truck lived its entire life in PA and MD, but previous owner would wash the under carriage after it snows or something because there's not much rust. This is clean for a NE truck, if you can find something like this then go for it.

51339749561_d871bd4bab_h.jpg

51337362625_f812bc7557_b.jpg

I recently sold my 80 that I owned for almost 20 years. Bought it in Massachusetts in 2003 and it lived all around the country (traveled a lot for work). It now lives around the corner from me in Phoenix and has no rot and some small bits of surface rust on the axles, etc. None on the body. A lot of people seem overly concerned about surface rust but on the frame isn't a big deal (no rot!) except it sometimes makes nuts and bolts hard to remove. Before I'd give the truck a blanket condemnation I'd give it a good inspection.
Just my $.02
Ned

I recently sold my 80 that I owned for almost 20 years. Bought it in Massachusetts in 2003 and it lived all around the country (traveled a lot for work). It now lives around the corner from me in Phoenix and has no rot and some small bits of surface rust on the axles, etc. None on the body. A lot of people seem overly concerned about surface rust but on the frame isn't a big deal (no rot!) except it sometimes makes nuts and bolts hard to remove. Before I'd give the truck a blanket condemnation I'd give it a good inspection.
Just my $.02
Ned
Did you look at the photos I posted above?

My truck lived its entire life in PA and MD, but previous owner would wash the under carriage after it snows or something because there's not much rust. This is clean for a NE truck, if you can find something like this then go for it.

51339749561_d871bd4bab_h.jpg

51337362625_f812bc7557_b.jpg

For a NE truck that looks pretty good... but I see enough iron oxidation that I wouldn't buy it to live in the desert with me.

I have friends out here with rigs that lived a year or two in the NE and it wasn't worth it... especially considering some patience and you can find a rig that has probably only been rained on once a year since it was brand new and literally never seen salt in it's life.

The two biggest pieces to this puzzle are price and maintenance. Is the price low enough to reflect its condition and is the maintenance up to par? If those two things are acceptable for what you’re looking for, then do it. This forum is invaluable when it comes to information, but as for opinions on rust, you will only get 1) run away or 2) isn’t that bad. Living in Michigan and driving probably one of the rustier examples on here, that truck seems totally fine. Is it totally fine for you though? What are your expectations and price range? Weigh those with the price and maintenance as well and see if it falls into what you want. It might as well be my catch phrase by now, but a rusty cruiser will get you to the same places a cream puff will.

Hamachi- What condition is the sheet metal of the body? White13 has the right idea. Unless the body is rotted away you might be OK. FxFormat's would probably be better of course unless it's a junker. Depending on the price and mechanical condition.
Ned

Sorry if i missed this but an opinion is useless unless you tell us how much $$ it's listed for? Definitely have seen way worse

The two biggest pieces to this puzzle are price and maintenance. Is the price low enough to reflect its condition and is the maintenance up to par? If those two things are acceptable for what you’re looking for, then do it. This forum is invaluable when it comes to information, but as for opinions on rust, you will only get 1) run away or 2) isn’t that bad. Living in Michigan and driving probably one of the rustier examples on here, that truck seems totally fine. Is it totally fine for you though? What are your expectations and price range? Weigh those with the price and maintenance as well and see if it falls into what you want. It might as well be my catch phrase by now, but a rusty cruiser will get you to the same places a cream puff will.

Agreed! My truck has some rust on it, but nothing in the body and I thought what I saw was manageable given the price (good enough) and the soup to nuts, one owner, all at the stealership service history. But looking at that spare tire carrier and support as the canary in the coal mine, this truck is probably fine.

Agreed! My truck has some rust on it, but nothing in the body and I thought what I saw was manageable given the price (good enough) and the soup to nuts, one owner, all at the stealership service history. But looking at that spare tire carrier and support as the canary in the coal mine, this truck is probably fine.
it’s different up in the north east where pretty much everything mechanical dies a slow rusty red death…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom