Marriage made in Hell: SOR seat foam and CCOT seat covers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
I'm going nuts here. N-V-T-S, nuts!

For the LIFE of me, how in the F do you fit the giant SOR bottom seat cushion into the CCOT bottom seat cover, and once there what do you do with the damn seat frame bottom? I have been wrestling with this for an hour and zero luck. Neither item is cheap either so these had better damn well fit!

Any tricks that you can share with are appreciated (I should have researched prior to.....?) vastly.

Your Humble Servant,

Alex

Maybe try fitting the foam in a plastic bag and apply a vacuum to shrink it? Stuff the whole thing in the seat cover and either manuever the bag off the foam once in there (maybe impossible) or just leave it in the bag. If you leave it in the bag release the vacuum so the foam can expand in the cover. The foam will be water proof too!!

Keep in mind I've never done this, just throwing out wacky ideas.

Kent

OK, keep 'em coming!

I have the exact same combo and I took mine to an upholstery shop. They did an awesome job and said it is very difficult if you don't have the proper gear. I don't know how they compressed the foam but the cover had to be heated to take the wrinkles out of it. Turned out great and didn't cost much.

Hog
81FJ40 023.jpg

THAT'S good to know....I figured it might end this way.

I'm of no help to you, but it sounds like Hog has the solution I would use. Those kind of projects can drive you CRAZY !!!:beer:Alex M

I've covered other seats before, cars and motorcycles and it can be a challange. I found it easier to work the foam into the covers by setting the vinyl in the sun for a spell on a hot day. There is also a tool you can get that helps pulling the covers tight over the foam. Looks like pliers with a large jaw surface.
I've seen others spray the foam with a silicon type lubricant, but I never tried that. DIdn't want to risk breaking down the foam, or making the covers even more difficult to handle.

The sun trick works well in installing a snug fitting soft top.

I put the SORs in my 60-62s.Hard fit but I love them.Not and end of the day job,took about 2 hours. Mike

My seat covers are not vinyl, but the fabric Realtree camo ones.......MUCH cheaper. I can destroy these and just toss them in exchange for the spendy ones someday. Rather put $500 into wheels and tires.

Put your shop vac on the foam and squish it. See if it holds its shape long enough for your to stuff it inside.

Seats

Alex I just finished mine for my 74 40, wish I had taken pictures dang, From my memory which sucks, see the bottom seat cushion in photo above, I first placed the wire in, which makes that midway line in the seat when it is finished. (I used the wires from my old seats) I then started with the cover from the front of the seat and just got it over enough to tie the wire into the middle of seat first. If this helps let me know we will keep going:)

The wire should go into a white flap sewed on the inside of the seat cover.

Ummmm, you lost me. Wires?

Yes Wires

Yes there are wires that go into the seat cushion, in the middle of seats giving you that line look in the middle. See the line in the photos one in the bottom cushion and one in the middle of the back rest cushion. There are also wires that go around the bottom of the cushion, these are what you ty your hawg rings or zip ties to the raised metal tabs on the bottom of the seat...

Crap I wish I had pictures, Sorry trying to help..:hmm: Dave

But I has GIANT seat foams......

Turn the bottom cover inside out,. Place wire through listing (I use Stimpson insulation hangers from Home Depot) Cut holes for zio ties to go through at wire edge.

Run zip ties through the listing and up through the seat frame. Once threaded pull all of them tight, Then you can use hog rings to tie them down.

Yes there is a wire that runs the edges, see thread above.

Once centered then the edges SHOULD line up with seat edges.

Then turn the sides right side out. You with me Alex?

Sure you got the correct foam ?? Just throwin out more dumb ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom